PDA

View Full Version : Tow hitch

merdas
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
2 questions:

1. What brand of a towing hitch would you guys recommend?
2. What is the best way to connect the trailer to the Sprinters electrical system, how did you do it?
Thanks
:cheers:

Altered Sprinter
10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
2 questions:

2. What is the best way to connect the trailer to the Sprinters electrical system, how did you do it?
Thanks
Follow these links.
2007 170" 3500 trailer hitch w/step bumper (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445&highlight=hitch)
Hidden Hitch for 140 w/ rear step bumper (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4&highlight=hitch)
Or use the search bar, at the top of your forum bar to seek out further information
Richard

StElmo
10-20-2007, 03:50 AM
2 questions:

Thanks

Fortunately there is support for both now (see above post). Back in April we had to have both a custom hitch and custom wiring harness made, as we had a travel trailer we had to be able to move with our Sprinter.

ChasM
10-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I am extremely satisfied with my Curt hitch. It is rated as Class III, and is heavy duty and well made. I installed the hitch myself on my '07 144" passenger van. I hired a local shop to 'hardwire' the brake and electrical connections.

scotty
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
this is timely! i'm down in southern calee-fornia and jumped on to see if anyone has a recommendation for hitch and wiring harness install in the greater OC (tinder pile) ... i am thinking about pulling a trailer back up to seattle...

140 passenger... no step...

thanks!

anomaly
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I am extremely satisfied with my Curt hitch. It is rated as Class III, and is heavy duty and well made. I installed the hitch myself on my '07 144" passenger van. I hired a local shop to 'hardwire' the brake and electrical connections.

Any issues with the lighting? I understand that the computer is pretty finicky. The local dealer told me that they had issues with modifications because the computer tracked how much power the lights draw, and if it exceeds a certain amount it indicates a problem. On their truck the hazards blink extremely fast.

On the other hand, I added the NVR3 wireless camera by tapping into the license plate harness without issue, and I also added switched power for my iPod and Bluetooth by tapping into the cigarette lighter and have had no problems...

Did the Curt require drilling? Do you have the step bumper?

ChasM
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Any issues with the lighting? I understand that the computer is pretty finicky. The local dealer told me that they had issues with modifications because the computer tracked how much power the lights draw, and if it exceeds a certain amount it indicates a problem. On their truck the hazards blink extremely fast.

On the other hand, I added the NVR3 wireless camera by tapping into the license plate harness without issue, and I also added switched power for my iPod and Bluetooth by tapping into the cigarette lighter and have had no problems...

Did the Curt require drilling? Do you have the step bumper?

The Curt hitch required drilling one hole in the upper part of the frame. I drilled the holes with a 1/2" cordless drill with no problems. I had an initial problem with the trailer wiring requiring a trip back to the shop with trailer in tow, but no problems since then. My Sprinter has the standard bumper.

The Guru
10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Doyou know if the Sprinters in the US are fitted with pre-installed wiring for tow bar? There should be 5 electrical plug under the drivers seat and a plug near the spare tyre at the rear underneath.

If so its just a matter of plugging a control unit nder the seat and then connecting the electrical set to the back.

The EZS must be coded by a dealer to turn it on though