PDA

View Full Version : insurance question

JAM
03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Well last Friday some idiot decides to back up without looking outta this subdivision I was working at and kaboom:bash:. I didnt even have time to throw it in reverse. I called the police and they came and made a report. I call my insurance to see what the procedure is and they say I gotta pay my deductable and claim it under my policy for the damage to my truck:idunno:. All that got damaged was my grill, electric fan and license plate chrome cover. Probably a total of $500 maybe. So why do I have to claim it on my insurance when the other guy has full coverage? They said we can go after his insurance to pay my deductable but theres a chance they might not pay it. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Btw, I already ordered a front grill for $150 on ebay. Gotta get the fan still tho. I seen them for around $225.

hkpierce
03-26-2012, 03:43 PM
My company gave me an option - go after the other company or use my policy. I decided to go after the company, and my company gave me information that helped me. See http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18417&highlight=darn I have not heard of a requirement that a policy holder MUST make a claim against their policy.

cahaak
03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
If you have the other drivers insurance info and there was a police report filed, then all you have to do is call the other insurance company and tell then that XX driver backed into your van and did XXX damage. They will say they need the police report and so on, which they do(will probably need pics and a damager estimate too). In the end, it should end up costing you $0, but when you use the other drivers insurance the time is longer. If you want the $ quickly, then use your insurance and they will pay except for deductible. Eventually you should get your deductible back once the other pary is found at fault. I have done it both ways. Just make sure that you have things documented, have all the insurance info and have a copy of the police report.

Chris

Aqua Puttana
03-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know if it counts against you as a claim even though your insurance company is made whole by the other insurance? It always seems to me that any claim on your insurance gives them an excuse to jack up your rates. :idunno: vic

If you have the other drivers insurance info and there was a police report filed, then all you have to do is call the other insurance company and tell then that XX driver backed into your van and did XXX damage. They will say they need the police report and so on, which they do(will probably need pics and a damager estimate too). In the end, it should end up costing you $0, but when you use the other drivers insurance the time is longer. If you want the $ quickly, then use your insurance and they will pay except for deductible. Eventually you should get your deductible back once the other pary is found at fault. I have done it both ways. Just make sure that you have things documented, have all the insurance info and have a copy of the police report.

Chris

NBB
03-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Sounds like standard procedure.

What's been "said" thus far about who is going to pay for what is meaningless. Fault is decided at a later time in a small conference room, usually with both ins companies involved. Neither you, the other driver, nor the police decide fault. You'll get a check (or not) after that meeting.

cahaak
03-27-2012, 01:57 AM
It will not count against you if the other party is at fault. I had three vehicles totaled in the span of 16 months. In every case the other party was 100% at fault.

Rental car - hit broadside after waiting 3 seconds to go on the green. Guy behind me was kind enough to stay and wait and give his account to the police of what he saw.
Sprinter - hit from behind on freeway, pushed into semi in front. Guy behind me at fault, used his insurance on this one.
New Kia Optima - Tboned while driving down the road. Boyfriend drving car with no license, luckily was insured by the girlfriend. The guy just pulled right into the side of my car. Used my insurance on that one, got the deductible back about 2 months later.

Not a thing on my insurance from any of those, of course, my insurance did not pay out anything at all.

Chris