PDA

View Full Version : US folks, what insurance company do you use?

vinyl_addict
03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I currently have state farm. I wanted to shop around but i'm having the same problem i had with state farm originally. No one can find my vehicle in their database. 02 sprinter. What i had to settle on was a commercial policy from state farm even though its my personal vehicle and i'm converting it to an rv.

wayneskid
03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I have State Farm; there was no problem setting up my policy.
Wayne

icarus
03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I have State Farm, cheap and good service. I have all my insurance with them.

Icarus

surlyoldbill
03-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I have Geico. I have all their discounts because I also use them for home insurance. My annual is about $800 total for my van (comprehensive, $500 deductable) and my 63 Corvair convertible (liability only). I think the van alone is about $600-650. I had problems insuring my OLD cars because they were not in a database, which for Geico seems to only go back to maybe 1980. Crap, that IS over 30 years ago, I'm getting OLD.

cedarsanctum
03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
We gave up on Safeco a few years ago. Between the "company" policy and the agent we had, we got tired of the hassles. We're doing well with Allstate right now for everything, good price on autos, really good on the Sprinter "RV" and the scooter. They did hassle us about moss on the house roof at first but the roof was getting replaced soon anyway. Everything around here gets moss, eventually. Even Sprinters.
Jef

johnshmit
03-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Westfield Insurance $509

K-9 SPRINTER
03-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I have State Farm, cheap and good service. I have all my insurance with them.

Icarus
I have them as well for everything. My sprinters vin shows a cargo, they just took pics to show its a RV. State Farm is dog friendly :thumbup:and does not discriminate against any breed (unless it has a bite history)

JSMI
03-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I currently have state farm. I wanted to shop around but i'm having the same problem i had with state farm originally. No one can find my vehicle in their database. 02 sprinter. What i had to settle on was a commercial policy from state farm even though its my personal vehicle and i'm converting it to an rv.

My agent couldn't locate the vehicle in their database, either. They started down the "might have to insure it as commercial" path. I simply said "seats 8, GVWR and max speed are less than many SUVs you already insure, and I will not use it for business purposes." The agent called their underwriter, and after a few pone calls I was insured. They swapped my other car for no change in cost. I use Frankenmuth Insurance wich might be Michigan only.

Thanasis
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Liberty Mutual.
$830/year.
Have home insurance with them too.
Never had to file a claim so I cannot tell how good they are in that department.
Thanasis

autostaretx
03-24-2012, 08:38 PM
PEMCO.... although the first year (2005: "a Freightliner? A Freightliner WHAT?!?") it was insured by "stated value", subsequent years show it on the sheet as a Freightliner Sprinter. (mine is a passenger wagon)
$765, which is $30 cheaper than our 2010 Kia Rondo on the same policy.

My only claim experience was a few years ago with our old 2nd car... it was an ambiguous "who's at fault" incident. The PEMCO claim agent managed to get the other company (Allstate) to accept full fault.

--dick

jmoller99
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I use Allstate. They had no issues with a personal use Frieghtliner, finding it in their database from the VIN. I have used them for over 30 years without any complaints.

icarus
03-25-2012, 01:53 AM
I hit a deer with mine, $9000 worth of body damage, and then a new engine as a result of oil pressure loss, total cost ~$25k, not a whimper from state farm. Cost me $50 comp deductible.

Icarus

RIMSPOKE
03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
OUR SPRINTER IS INSURED WITH AMICA AS ARE OUR REGULAR DRIVERS .

THE MICROCARS ARE INSURED WITH HAGERTY's

businessgypsy
03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
State Farm
100/300 Liability $1000 deductible
Collision $1000 deductible
Comprehensive $500 deductible
UIM coverage

Single driver household, 54 year old male, clean record, 3 other vehicles covered

$360/6 months.

About 70% of what Progressive was charging

JAM
03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
I have State Farm too but Im not too happy with them. Read my other post and youll see why. They dont tell you about all the details on coverage. This is the 2nd time I got screwed. Only thing is there cheaper than any one else.

vinyl_addict
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
i'm not unhappy with state farm. i filed a glass claim within 2 months of owning it and they paid it in full, no problems. although my 6 month premium did go up $20 this cycle. They gave me a regular policy at first and then told me i had to switch to commercial which was $1 less.

I'm paying under $800 for the year so i guess i'm on par with other people here.

I think the 2002's really mess with the underwriters. They see freightliner and think a BIG truck. Had similar problems when calling around for a windshield. No one could find an 02 sprinter on their computer.

david_42
03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
USAA, but if you were qualified to join, you'd be there already. I did, however, insure my new home with a different company. USAA wanted to use a replacement cost of $160/sf, plus a 20% upcharge for 'auxillary' buildings, like the swing set.:shifty: That's 60% over the real costs locally for new houses.

Galavanter
12-31-2015, 07:53 PM
@david_42 - I realize this is an old thread, but wondering if you're still able to insure your Sprinter with USAA. They told me they could write a policy for it, and would have to go through their partner, Progressive Commercial for it.

We are converting it and once done, Progressive won't cover it either.

Ivessm
12-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Galavanter, david_42: I am also w USAA. Been with them since late 60's. Here and overseas. Never had a problem with them. Insured both a 2005 144 Tall Passenger and a 2014 Long Tall Passenger with them. Had a windshield claim on the 2005 handled without a problem. No major claims. These are both under our personal insurance, nothing commercial. I don't do anything commercial with them so that question should/has never come up.

Note, these are PASSENGER vans I'm insuring, I have not had the need to talk to USAA about a cargo or crew van. I don't know what their response would be.

Hope this helps.

stew

Rock Doc
12-31-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm insured through USAA for my 2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS Class B motorhome on a 2013 Sprinter 3500 chassis--as an RV. USAA does indeed farm out to Progressive for RV coverage, but they also have a special connection for phone calls to Progressive, etc; kind of a "most favored state" situation.

I just paid my annual premium today--$865. Paying the whole year in one payment saves me $85 over the "Renewal Policy Premium" of $950. I do have my home, auto and umbrella policies all through USAA, which garners me additional discounts.

Rock Doc

Nate
01-03-2016, 11:33 PM
USAA here.
They also have a new vehicle purchase deal with Mercedes, and many other manufacturers, that took $3,000 off msrp.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

SprinterWisc
01-06-2016, 03:06 AM
I'm insured with American Family. 100/300 and about $420 every six months.

avanti
01-06-2016, 01:53 PM
State Farm. Started with them for my first car 'cause that's what dad used. They have since covered every residence and vehicle we've ever owned (in four states) including collector cars, motorcycles and two Sprinters. We have had some claims over the years, including a few doozies. Never the slightest problem collecting.

Are they the best? I have no idea, because after a lot of years and a lot of experiences, they have never given me cause to go shopping.

Galavanter
02-07-2016, 06:38 AM
I'm insured through USAA for my 2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS Class B motorhome on a 2013 Sprinter 3500 chassis--as an RV. USAA does indeed farm out to Progressive for RV coverage, but they also have a special connection for phone calls to Progressive, etc; kind of a "most favored state" situation.

I just paid my annual premium today--$865. Paying the whole year in one payment saves me $85 over the "Renewal Policy Premium" of $950. I do have my home, auto and umbrella policies all through USAA, which garners me additional discounts.

Rock Doc

Do you have a contact name and number? I've gotten the BIGGEST run around about the Sprinter with USAA & Progressive.

I've got 4 cars, home, umbrella - the works with USAA as well and also pay in large chunks...

towboatbill
02-07-2016, 01:31 PM
USAA since 1967. I don't recall any problems adding the Sprinter, though it's been a few years and I CRS. I just described it accurately, i.e. a cab&chassis with a flatbed and a pickup camper on it. I'm thinking the VIN should give them the details as to body style.

On the Declarations page it lists as DODGE; SPRINTER 3500; VAN 4X2 2- (no idea what the 2- signifies); 20000 YEARLY MILEAGE; the VIN; Pleasure use; no school or work use as we are both retired.

I carry only Bodily Injury and Property Damage liability coverages, Medical Payments, Uninsured Motorists, Underinsured Motorists, all with no deductibles, Comprehensive with a $500 deductible, and no collision. Semi-annual premium for just the Sprinter is a whopping $132.

There are two other pickups on this policy with considerably less mileage allowance so the three vehicles, two drivers totals $307 semi-annual.

I've had very few claims thru 49 years, always excellent, respectful, polite service and always deal with the insurance policies over the phone--the computer works excellent for the bank but not so well adding and subtracting vehicles, which is most all of my policy work.

Galavanter
02-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Semi-annual premium for just the Sprinter is a whopping $132.

There are two other pickups on this policy with considerably less mileage allowance so the three vehicles, two drivers totals $307 semi-annual.

Wow - my empty 2015 Cargo is over $550 semi-annually on its own with higher deductibles, and they're saying I won't be able to renew. :-(

towboatbill
02-09-2016, 01:03 AM
Wow - my empty 2015 Cargo is over $550 semi-annually on its own with higher deductibles, and they're saying I won't be able to renew. :-(

Thats quite a difference, I would suspect that the newness of your Sprinter and the collision coverage that doubtless you have (and I don't) are big contributers? Also, I have rather low liability limits: 50,000/100,000 bodily injury and 50,000 property damage. That accounts for $76 of the Sprinters charges. The medical payments, unisured and underinsured motorists, and towing and labor coverages premiums barely total $25. The comprehensive at $32 could be shaved to around $10 if I accepted a $1000 deductible like I do with the other vehicles but the Sprinter is our road tripping rig and those moose are big!

Why don't they want to renew you?
--
Bill

MichelleChico
08-26-2016, 08:07 PM
USAA just had me on hold for ever and would not insure my 2003 140" cargo van. What a joke, I have been with them 25 years. Could not find it in database, then they used a vin decoder. I told them the truth, that it would be used only for recreation. I have never had a claim. Might have to find another insurer because this pissed me off.

alexshouse
08-26-2016, 11:23 PM
After shopping around I insured my '06 3500 with Nationwide for about $320 semi-annually (bare minimum coverage). Almost half the price of what State Farm wanted to add it to my significant other's policy.

WestyToSMB
08-27-2016, 01:17 AM
We use Progressive. Had excellent service on a $2700 parking lot dent where the other motorist was uninsured. Was supposed to cost us $100, but the actual repair shop absorbed that fee, and we got off without paying anything. Totally satisfied.

ranchworld
08-30-2016, 04:36 AM
We use PEMCO here in Seattle. About 600/yr for the 2006 158 passenger wagon. We have our house and Subaru with them too.

TangoGolf
08-31-2016, 02:05 AM
Call your agent tomorrow and ask for the cost if you raised your liability to 500/500/500 . You might be surprised at how little the increase is. Your current liability limits are too low. Reply to the 100/300/ post

Mein Sprinter
08-31-2016, 03:21 AM
We use PEMCO here in Seattle. About 600/yr for the 2006 158 passenger wagon. We have our house and Subaru with them too.

We use Progressive -$543/yr for 2010 Sprinter Roadtrek Agile. Have Subaru with them too.

cheers...

bearfoot
08-31-2016, 03:39 PM
I have an RV policy with Progressive. I haven't had to use it, but it was one of the only companies I could find that would insure the inside of a converted van.