Lets talk "extended Warranties" on Sprinter.

T.J.T

So Ive had one of the rudes wake up calls to this vehicle today that I could imagine. I knew going into this vehicle service was steep and part were scary to replace. Hence why I looked for a great forum right away... That bring me here.

I had what I would call "transmission" slips since the day I brought this van home. Of course it wasnt during the test drive, or the 4 hour drive home, but a couple days after I bought it, it was like I was getting "flare shifts" or "gear hunting" and it would result in a clunk in the back. My inexperience led me to believe It was something to do with my trany, I did some service, it continued and last week someone finally pointed me to the EGR valve problems. This was exactly what I was experiencing. A couple days after I read the post, I had LHM all day. No power, no turbo, so i took it into the dealer. They said I couldn't book it in that day but 2 days ago I found time to get it in. It threw some codes as the engine light went on, then off, then back on, then off finally when I got it in and the codes pointed too the EGR valve.

I was happy as I had purchased the second best service plan available when i purchased the vehicle, and I had only put on 15k(110k total) from my buy date. Then the problems started to arise.

1. The DODGE dealership in Edmonton sold me an "external" service plan, something I was never told. It was threw Coverage one I guess is run by GMAC.

2. My coverage cost me 3400 for 80,000km. I found out a couple weeks after buying my sprinter that MB offers an extended plan for 1600 for the same 80,000 KM(what it all covers im not 100% sure, but I think it was almost everything)

3. Here is where this gets really fun. I was supplied with a LIST of things the warranty covers. I took this brochure and decided on the "level" i wanted and figured it was a general outline on components. I should have coverage on "Engine, Turbocharger, Transmission, Transfer case, Drive axle, Steering, Brakes, Air cond, Electrical, Fuel System". I passed on the "Front suspension, Heating and cooling, and Enhanced Electrical"

So my EGR valve goes, and I thought they would place this item under "engine" or "Fuel Delivery". I know the valve recirculates exhaust yada yada, but I could not find better categories to fit it in.

Well Coverage One declines the repair, on ground "we do not cover EGR valves". There story is, no Exhaust component is covered under ANY warranty they offer and most other carries are the same(so they say).

I told them I find it very unacceptable that they have an "exclusion list" yet nothing they supplied me with at the time of purchased outlined that. He respond by telling me 3-4 weeks after I BOUGHT the plan a package should have been mailed with all the details. Again, BULL****, how can you sell something with a certain intent, then send a package a month later with exclusions. We went back in forth with whos fault it was, he blamed me for not reading the package, I told him that doesn't matter because at the time of purchase I was not supplied with his 4 week late "we aint going to cover **** book" :yell:

So the dealer wants 900 for the EGR valve as well as 240 for diagnostic, then few hundred to put it in. I also had a fuel line leak leading to my Fuel filter that Coverage One said they will partially cover(AGAIN WHY ONLY PART??? oh he said he will investigate and get back to me...) Im looking at a 1700$ bill all said and done.

I had to pay 600 2 months ago for a dead battery, plus the first week I had this van I took it in for them to check the "thunking" in the back that we all now know is the EGR valve and that was 300 for a diagnostic.

Anyways, I know there are guides are doing this EGR myself, I will probably take that route. At this point I might revoke my coverage(or lack of coverage) and just save the 3400(plus the 7 years of intrest :thumbdown:) for when something breaks. That will be prorated though so I already figured I would lose 900 of that in the 6 months I have owned the van.

I could rant forever, but I really want to know is there any point too these extended warranties. Ill put 80,000km on this van within 2 years. The engines if maintained should run a lot more then 200,000km. If the most crucial parts of the motor that are prone to failure (EGR, DPF) aren't even covered what is the point. It seems like most of the work can be done myself baring a catastrophic failure (knock on wood).

The thing that really got me with Coverage One was the guy said "IF THE ITEM ISNT LISTED IT IS NOT COVERED" I asked him how a vehicle like the sprinter could even be eligible for an extended warranty like that.

I've scanned the "lists" I have and am curious what else on these lists are missing that are generally normal parts to fail that pertain too the sprinter?

I by no means expect everyone to spend time to help me, but if someone has some time and wants to check them out, maybe you can help me with things to bring up next time I am on the phone with him.

And trust me, I am not letting this one go :bash:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/c1001.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/c2001.jpg/ (this just shows the pinnacle I DO NOT HAVE)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/coverageone001.jpg/

Im sorry about my rant, I am just having a really tough go with vehicles. My wife's 08 jetta we have owned for 26 months we have 24 work orders for a check engine light that's been on the week we got it home. Im just terribly angry with car dealerships.

Last edited:

T.J.T

Yes it was used and it was Derrick Dodge. I reside in Calgary and have the sprinter there now, Renfrew is looking after the service work and they seem to be doing a solid job, but they are in a tough spot being the ones trying to do the service work for me, but the warranty I purchased from Derrick wont cover it (Coverage One)

Top Bottom