Injector bolt snapped, diesal and melted plastic everywhere

aainc_1

I'm trying to remove the valve cover because one of the bolts holding the injector down snapped and the injector basically flew up through the plastic cover and yes as you can imagine diesal and melted plastic everywhere.

I need to get the valve cover off so that I can extract the bolt that snapped. I managed to get all the high pressure fuel lines and injectors off but the last one with closer to the firewall without having to remove the intake manifold. I can't figure out a way to get the last HP fuel line off without having to take off the intake manifold.

Do I need to take it off or is there a way where I don't? I'm on the last one already, closer to the firewall and I kind of want to bend the line but I'm afraid it will snap. I did all that work and if I have to remove the intake manifold :censored::thumbdown:

aainc_1

there's a support bracket in front and the fuel return line with connector in back and the HP fuel line is wedged right ther in between. I can't even put a crow foot wrench in there

talkinghorse43

Looking at the '03 service manual (same engine), the injector lines can be removed without removing the intake manifold, but that may require a special tool (crowfoot wrench?) for the troublesome line. However, taking the aluminum valve cover off doesn't get you much closer. I'd try to extract it without removing the cover. PM abittenbinder or email him at abittenbinder (at) yahoo.com. His phone # is 412-366-6165. He'll know exactly what to do.

Last edited:

aainc_1

I needed to get the valve cover off because the bolt snapped under the valve cover. I didn't realize I could pop the fuel return line connector off. Once I did that I was able to get a crowfoot wrench in there and got it loose. Saw the snapped bolt and extracted it. Thanks!

surlyoldbill

I was told that the steel fuel line was strong enough to keep the injector from blowing out, even without a hold-down bolt installed. Your short fuel line must have bent upward as well.

talkinghorse43

I was told that the steel fuel line was strong enough to keep the injector from blowing out, even without a hold-down bolt installed. Your short fuel line must have bent upward as well.
One other instance I can remember was reported years ago in the yahoo forum by an owner vacationing in Mexico. So, the line must not provide the necessary resistance to movements of this magnitude.

Top Bottom