Sliding door driving us crazy!

RSchleder

I just got back from a 1,800 mile round trip in our 2011 Sprinter based RV. About half way through the trip we hit a rough place on the highway where they were redoing the surface. We noticed shortly after that our sliding door was squeaking and squawking as we went down the road. I know a couple of things for sure:
1) the door is definitely closed
2) the door locks when you reach a certain speed
3) I treated the rubber with a very good rubber preserver and it didn't help
4) we found a parking lot and drove around it with the door properly closed and it was very noisy. I sat in the seat next to the door, opened it halfway while we drove around and there was no noise coming from it or the surrounding area
5) If parked in the hot sun with the sun shining on the sliding door, it makes little to no noise after you take off for perhaps 20 minutes then starts it again.

Is there a adjustment that can be performed on the door hinges or latch or both?
Is it something I can do ( I'm pretty handy) or should I take it to a Sprinter dealer which is only 5 minutes away?
Is this a fairly common issue with these large sliding Sprinter side doors?

Thanks in advance for any help or info. Ron

expcourier

expeditious
I'm not sure if your 2011 has these for the sliding door but if it does, you can mark the wedges location on the door, loosen the wedges located on the door itself, close the door, open the door and check to see if they have changed position from where you marken and retighten. The metal to metal contact may be causing your noise. You may have a different setup but the same check may apply.

If that fails, you're still under warranty and should take advantage.

Good Luck.

Attachments

that noise will drive you insane!, easy fix where the door shuts there are two pins which fit into holes on the van the have like a black cup which the pin goes into, on the back of the cup is a spring the action of the pin in the cup pushing on the spring makes the noise you have, mercedes remedy buy a new part, my remedy a lot of WD40 on the spring which is behind the cup, will be so quiet when youve done it, do this every time you service it, oh it will be the top one not the bottom

RSchleder

Thanks to the replies here, my sliding door is now "quiet as a mouse" after lub'ing the pin cups as recommended! I can now put my trade-in plans ( not really) on the back burner. We are really pleased with our Winnebago ERA as it's the first motorhome out of the 4 we've owned that allowed us to take a initial trip and EVERYTHING worked perfectly. Our previous 3 Class A's, a Gulfstream, a Monaco. and a Tiffin all had a punch list almost a page long. With the sliding door not driving us nuts, you could say we very "happy campers".

Last edited:

Top Bottom