Thanks to Bigdaddydaveh!

saabsue

I haven't checked in the forum much in the last year--just to check on issues I was having with my 2004 158" 2500 converted by Sportsmobile. And not too many at that.

I started having some tire cupping issues since I moved from South Bend to Indianapolis last summer and Stoops Freightliner here in town said bad struts. I wasn't convinced since their customer service approach wasn't too professional. John in Oregon suggested I contact Bigdaddydaveh here on the forum who lives in South Bend.

Dave came over Saturday when I was back in South Bend and agreed that it probably was ball joints which agreed with another assessment from Indianapolis Spring who had experience with Sprinters and said ball joints after a thorough examination. So, that is scheduled for this Wednesday.

So, a big thank you to Dave. I got to see his now "fine running Sprinter" and benefited from his knowledge of things automotive.

This forum is great!

Sue

saabsue

Yes, I believe they did. They have three or four other Sprinters they have seen this kind of wear, but all with many more miles than I have. I have printed out the PDF to take to them on Wed to make sure they did. The confirmation for me was Dave looking at my Sprinter on Saturday and agreeing it was probably ball joints. Indianapolis Spring says it definitely is not the struts that Stoops Freighliner said. And Stoops said the alignment is fine, so short of driving it to Oregon--which I would love--and having John properly diagnose it and put Konis on, I am confined to what I have here.

Thanks for pointing that link out--I did not have it when I initially took it to them. Since then I found it.

Sue

saabsue

Thanks for these links. I had seen one of them in my searches but not all three. I will have them for reference when I take this on Wednesday.

Interesting enough, when I had it out to Dr. A's, on the test drive after the service, he heard a noise. No real handling issues. When he got out and inspected the front tires, he saw the cupping and suspected defective Michelin tires. When I got back to South Bend I went over to Tire Rack and even though they can't work on Sprinters, they said not a defective tire, but an alignment problem. That's when I took it to Stoops and they said alignment ok, but bad struts. $1000 to correct it with OEM struts! Decided to investigate further now that it is spring and I can take her out of winter storage! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Sue

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
when I had it out to Dr. A's, on the test drive after the service, he heard a noise. No real handling issues. When he got out and inspected the front tires, he saw the cupping and suspected defective Michelin tires.
Sue
It has been quite a while since your visit but I do not recall labeling your Michelins as possibly 'defective'. That's quite unusual for the brand.

I would have suspected alignment issues (or worn components) before ever blaming those premium brand tires. Perhaps I suggested that the Tire Rack contact a factory rep for some good will price adjustment on replacement tires.

Doktor A

saabsue

Maybe I misunderstood you, Andy, but I thought that was the reason I was going to Tire Rack. I don't remember you saying anything about other causes when I was there--but that perhaps I had gotten a tire that wasn't up to their standards. I certainly didn't think you were maligning such a good brand simply that TR would be honest and be able to determine if it was a fluke.

I e-mailed you about my visit to TR and their assessment that it was probably the alignment and you agreed that was a possibility or suspension and gave me some good advice regarding those.

And you even followed up when I had the "strut diagnosis" from the local dealer here in Indianapolis and suggested it would be unusual. So, you gave me the "courage" to keep investigating and asking questions.

So, I appreciate very much your help to me in all of this and hope I did not mis-quote you, Andy. I still remember with fondness the time I spent with you and your family while you worked on my Sprinter! While I am not looking for a major problem, I keep looking for a reason to make a return trip or an opportunity to host you and your family in Indianpolis for some race event!

Sue

saabsue

Update on Ball joints/tires Re: Thanks to Bigdaddydaveh!

Ball joints were done on Wednesday and new tires (Michelin only M/S this time since the original tires weren't available.

What a difference! Didn't know how bad it rode/steered. Seems like a brand new vehicle. The decline was so gradual I didn't notice it, I guess.

Thanks for the support!

Sue
2004 158 2500
Indianapolis, IN

Top Bottom