Lounge style vs twin beds

litmu

Hi guys, want to hear your opinion on which is better - for usage/ergonomics, resale etc.

Also, does airstream build a cabinet over the cockpit area or they leave it open?. I am a headroom nut, and want to make sure my older loved ones dont bang their head.

73shark

2011 AS Interstate (sold)
The overhead in the cab area is open. There are some cubbies over the dash in front of driver and psgr seats.

We got the lounge style cuz we needed the extra seating. :thumbup:

Go to a dealer and do a test drive. Let anyone that may drive it if you get it, test drive it so there's no surprises. :eek:

edit: I guess I wasn't entirely accurate as there is a storage area under the front roof that does cut down on the headroom. Check it out here.

Last edited:

litmu

How does the lounge style give extra seating? How many can seat in the lounge style vs twin bed style?

is the storage area over the cockpit tapered/softened so when you bang your head against its less painful, or are the edges sharp?

We got the lounge style cuz we needed the extra seating. :thumbup:

Go to a dealer and do a test drive. Let anyone that may drive it if you get it, test drive it so there's no surprises. :eek:

edit: I guess I wasn't entirely accurate as there is a storage area under the front roof that does cut down on the headroom. Check it out here.

ben322

It all depends on how you'll use the van. The lounge model has belted seating for 8 and we go to our kids tournament weekends and sometimes bring sometimes bring a bunch of their friends. While I do like the power lounge, the mechanism does eat up some storage under the seat. The really versatile rear lounge exists in the GW Van Sprinter Conversion which allows the seat to slide forward. Although that would sacrifice one of the belted seating positions, it's a good trade. The Airstream, in my opinion, still has the best fit & finish of the Sprinters I've seen, (and we use to own a RT), but there will always be some compromises. I think the twin model would be more useful if you needed it to double as a cargo hauler or you never have the need to haul more than 3/4 people.

73shark

How does the lounge style give extra seating? How many can seat in the lounge style vs twin bed style?

is the storage area over the cockpit tapered/softened so when you bang your head against its less painful, or are the edges sharp?
Check out the floor plans in the brochure at the link I posted.

litmu

I did check the the floor plans though I got confused by comments that lounge has more seating capacity. What I see is that twin beds has one more seat than a lounge has.

To my observation Twin beds have more seating capacity but they are not functional as a bed because of their puny width. Unlike some other manufacturers, Airstream doesn't make the twin beds join each other, which leaves their width, vulnerable to a person falling down and just not be able to have a good sleep.

73shark

If you have the opportunity, you should go see one.

I don't know how the twin beds work but according to the brochure, they only seat two or three psgrs depending upon if you get the dual wardrobe or not. The only seats are the 2 or 3 captain's chairs up front.

wayneskid

To my observation Twin beds have more seating capacity but they are not functional as a bed because of their puny width. Unlike some other manufacturers, Airstream doesn't make the twin beds join each other, which leaves their width, vulnerable to a person falling down and just not be able to have a good sleep.
We chose the twin as we rarely have a need to carry more than 3 belted passengers (driver +2) and we're happy with the way it works. I'm 215# and 6' and it works fine for me. But it may not be for everyone. These Class B campers are an exercise in learning to do with minimal space. As others have suggested, find a dealer and check them out. And yes, there is a row of cabinets mounted transversely behind the cabin so you do have to duck down to get into the front pair of seats.

Good luck with your search,
Wayne

litmu

I dont know if its just me, but it seems like Airstream should not have built such twin beds (I wouldn't even call that a bed). Its a "bench", a stool and you cant sleep on that pencil thin bench ... its like sleeping on the edge of your roof, an accident waiting to happen, as soon as you fall sleep, there you trip down.

Last edited:

don_p

Litmu, as people suggest you, go and have a look in person and see which suits your needs. We have owned both, lounge and twin-bed version over the course of life, and we liked the twin-bed more since we needed it for full-time RV'ing.

In general we observed:
- Lounge is good for seating. Twin bed is good for sleeping.
- Lounge is great as SUV. Twin bed is better for dedicated RV'ing.

Imagine you are tired and converting a sofa to a bed each time you just want to just lay down and take rest. We do not liked moving stuff to convert lounge to a bed. Twin-bed gave us neat organizers to put our things underneath the bed. That is the bed storage area we have seen in a class-B RV.

We bought twin-bed even though we had to pay more $ for it, since our primary objective was to use the unit for dedicated RV'ing and as an office with ample storage. Like all suggest, go and take a look in person. Good luck.

litmu

Litmu, as people suggest you, go and have a look in person and see which suits your needs. We have owned both, lounge and twin-bed version over the course of life, and we liked the twin-bed more since we needed it for full-time RV'ing.

In general we observed:
- Lounge is good for seating. Twin bed is good for sleeping.
- Lounge is great as SUV. Twin bed is better for dedicated RV'ing.

Imagine you are tired and converting a sofa to a bed each time you just want to just lay down and take rest. We do not liked moving stuff to convert lounge to a bed. Twin-bed gave us neat organizers to put our things underneath the bed. That is the bed storage area we have seen in a class-B RV.

We bought twin-bed even though we had to pay more $ for it, since our primary objective was to use the unit for dedicated RV'ing and as an office with ample storage. Like all suggest, go and take a look in person. Good luck.
And where were you before? I wish I heeded this advice before hand. I paid deposit to dealer online for the Lounge style. When I went there, I saw the Twin bed and that seemed better built. In pics I could not clearly tell. I tried to negotiate on buying the Twin but the dealer gave us excuses (b#stard). So now, I have the Lounge. It is nice also, but next time we'll get the twin beds. B/w: Does anyone know how to take the 4th seat out and put a full closet in its space?

cjscott

I have a question about the twin beds, can you seat someone on them while driving, do they have seatbelts? We really liked the look of the twin bed model, seemed like it gave more options IF you could actually use it to seat someone on if you had to.

73shark

AFAIK, there are no seat belts on the twin beds. Might be possible to add if there was sufficient structure to attach them to.

On the lounge model, the center facing, road side seat has two belts.

wayneskid

I have a question about the twin beds, can you seat someone on them while driving, do they have seatbelts? We really liked the look of the twin bed model, seemed like it gave more options IF you could actually use it to seat someone on if you had to.
73shark is correct; there are no provisions for belting a passenger sitting on one of the twin beds.

Top Bottom