Roadtrek vs Airstream interstate

litmu

I am a headroom nut, since I'm 6'2". I am clearly impressed by Airstream's quality (fit 'n finish seems no comparison to Roadtrek's cheap cabinetry and open visible seams), however I like better the Roadtrek's openness/headroom/floorplan, and I am most concerned with the headroom. Winnebago ERA offers similar headroom, but their fit'n finish is lot lot horrible than any of their competition.

a) Airstream's site states 6ft 2.25 inches as headroom. Roadtrek states it is 6'3". I am suspecting Airstream has a wooden floor due to which headroom is tad bit smaller?.

b) Of more concern to me is the headroom in the driver cockpit area. I think, Airstream builds a shelf in the ceiling area, whereas Roadtrek keeps that spot available for driver to stand up easy?

Please comment.

Last edited:

mowog

Roadtrek adds a cabinet over the cockpit. If you go the the Roadtrek site and select the RS choose the 360 degree view. I'm sure all 3 are the Sprinters are the same. My 5'10'' has banged my head a few times, although not recently. The storage is nice, maybe it could be deleted.

Bob

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
You did not ask about Pleasure Ways, but wanted to tell you my experience. I had a '99 with those cabinets over the cab, and cabinets over the door. Lots of space, but lots of places to bang your head; I did very often. Now I have '05 Plateau with no cabinets anywhere to bang my head. I have never banged my head in this unit in the 7 years I have owned it using it regularly most every week for short trips. I am not as tall as you though, just 5' 10" so perhaps you should go inside these units before purchasing... Al

Trekker

Trekker
I'm 6 ft, and hit my head twice on the cabinet over the cockpit in my Roadtrek Adventurous. That was several years ago. Humans adapt quickly to negative stimulus. :smirk:

Overall, headroom and head-banging has been a non-issue for me in the 4 years we have owned it. Litmu, at this point in your life, you've obviously learned to deal with your height. :smirk:

BTW, the driver cannot 'stand up easy' in the Sprinter cockpit. Steering wheel is in the way.

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
We have the Agile and bought it for the head room height as one of many reasons. I am 6' 3" and can stand in the main areas w/o bending over but as others have stated, you won't be standing in the cockpit area. We too have had a few head knocks but the learning curve is quick.

litmu

Thanks all. Personally I would like to have RV Reviewers to be critical, and evaluate manufacturers on headbanging spots (among obviously other ergonomic features too) for an average height at least say 6ft. It is frustrating RV industry is just left at the hands of marketing gimmicks of manufacturers and so on, when all this comparative material should be readily available.

Its no good to put shelves every where for storage like a cowboy (no offense), and be called the largest manufacturer, and build a RV where buyers head is bleeding and one is terrified to have their older loved ones even go in it. No wonder we have RVs that spend their life in storage rather than being actually used.

Last edited:

gte

2008 RS
I am vertically challenged at 5'10" compared to some of you but I have banged my head pretty good in the front on occasions. Most of the time it is early in a new trip after a long non-use period where I have forgotten it was there. I find that when I am in it for a day or so I automatically duck when I enter the cockpit meaning there is still hope that I am trainable.

It would be nice if the storage above the cockpit was not there leaving more head room maybe there could have been a window or another vent for warm air to escape. Yet we do enjoy the storage up front. I assume RT designers opted for more storage fearing they would be criticized for wasting the space if the storage had not been there.

Just some thoughts
Gary
2008 RS:thinking:

PeteInLongBeach

I have to think there must be some kind of generic adhesive strip padding that can be applied to some of these overhead cabinets, but I haven't found anything yet.

Regarding general headroom, I've been comparing AirStreams to RoadTreks recently. There is definitely less floor-to-ceiling headroom in the AirStream, which I assume is due to the extra stainless metal panel on the ceiling and maybe also some flooring underlayment. That said, the AirStream interior is so beautifully done, I think I can overlook the difference in headroom.

Top Bottom