Tell me what you know about Asbestos

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So we all know that asbestos is dangerous, but how dangerous is it?

I'm reading a pamphlet from the CDC that says...

Being exposed to asbestos does not mean you will develop health problems!
...and then I read this article...

http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/12/news/story06.html

People who work in shipyards have high incidence of mesothelioma, meaning 5 percent of those with more than 10 years' exposure will die of cancer, Carbone said. "That's a lot, but it also tells you 95 percent of them equally loaded with asbestos do not get it. So the issue is, why?
In the article they mentioned that a certain virus interaction with asbestos is the cause of mesothelioma. They've yet to prove it, but it brings up a question.

Will I still die a terrible death if I don't have the virus? :smirk:

I'm probably breathing some right now in my pre-1978 home or when I visit areas with naturally occurring asbestos fibers.

I know there are a lot of you that come in contact with asbestos on an ongoing basis. What do you know about it and do you think it's a concern or overblown by the government?

Thanks for the replies!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
BLUE DEATH
Asbestos has three grades Blue asbestos was the common dominator used in ship lagging, the report of the paper written says very little! as to a news clip. The most extensive scientific reports.. were written BY the C.S.R.I.O
in presenting asbestos cancer indicators in a case bought forward by class and Government suites against James Hardi, formally CSR. It takes 30 to 40 years to develop before the dormant cancer indicator becomes active, Mining towns in Australia that processed this fiber from a natural product were the key factors for the said research children mothers workers were effected ,in the longer term.
small infants and or children up to the age of 18 are most acceptable to the risk factors based on generic DNA factors, including development of the natural immune systems.
You will find these products in older vinyl products of floor coverings the backing support from the 12 ft wide vinyls made in between the late 50's 60s and 70's used this pure blue asbestos backing, the most dangerous of the three main types, the second was off white in color very flaky the same as blue asbestos but more stable, It is safe whilst installed , it is highly dangerous to remove especially if the product was glued to the floor, where under removal the fiber would become airborne, Vinyl tiles are full of it as to the clay fillers used to make thew product it has minimal vinyl product not a pure plastic based tile, insulation has it outer cement board has it safe unless removed US schools are full of it especially with removable ceiling panels that support a holding frame as a false ceiling to hide electrical and air con units,pipeing and lagging etc.
Asbestous dust to this day is still a major work place saftey iisue yet few govenmets will enforce the removal of the product even if it is stable demolition of old buildings that contain the products are a problem on it's own as to wind bourne dust that can not be contained, ONE Breath and 40 years latter your Breathless.
One could call it death by misadventure.
asbestos_4.jpg
Richard​

mondmn70

Have not keep up with the asbestos much in the last 10-15 years but studies from 15-20 years ago indicated that shipyard workers exposed to asbestos who also smoked were much more likely to contract mesothelioma than non-smokers working in the same jobs. Asbestos can be a problem but the government response on removing asbestos from schools and other places was an overreaction - probably more exposure in removing asbestos than just leaving it alone

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Have not keep up with the asbestos much in the last 10-15 years but studies from 15-20 years ago indicated that shipyard workers exposed to asbestos who also smoked were much more likely to contract mesothelioma than non-smokers working in the same jobs. Asbestos can be a problem but the government response on removing asbestos from schools and other places was an overreaction - probably more exposure in removing asbestos than just leaving it alone
The latter is in-part correct, leave it be IF STABLE many products in schools for example are over 40 years old subjected to degrading where flaking become obvious,especially if it was an outer product exposed to weather conditions ,and or internal damage caused by leakage from water.. where the product was in distress and becomes unstable. this needs to be attended to!not latter.
Richard

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Asbestos: one of the many things it's best not to breath much of. Among them, not excluding others, silicon, tobacco smoke, ag spray, ammonia, chlorine, mold spores, CO, formaldehyde, and other folks' flatus. :smilewink:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Asbestos: one of the many things it's best not to breath much of. Among them, not excluding others, silicon, tobacco smoke, ag spray, ammonia, chlorine, mold spores, CO, formaldehyde, and other folks' flatus. :smilewink:
:laughing:

Asbestos, as it seems to me, just as bad as, smoking, 2nd hand smoke, getting a suntan, driving down the road in a Sprinter :)smilewink:), etc., yet they're not all outlawed.

Flatus should be outlawed entirely! :smirk:

topless

Wichita, KS
I have been involved with asbestos for over 25 years.

The truth is, it is not healthy to breath in any kind of mineral particulate, ie: dirt, coal or asbestos. These and other materials do not break down and will eventually cause respiratory aliments.
Smoking has always been a contributing factor with cancer, emphysema, mesothelioma, etc.
Asbestos only presents a health concern if it is in a flyable state, in other words, airborne dust.

The stupid part is, asbestos is a mineral and not a hazardous waste. Disposing of it should be simply burying it, not having to get special containers and paying storage fees. It's a rock, not nuclear waste.

The reason people who worked in shipyards and as insulators got sick was because they wore no kind of air filter to restrict in intake of the dust as it was being applied. Even auto mechanics were exposed to the asbestos dust just doing brakes jobs, and clutch replacements.

If you can see the dust, you should wear a breather. You are going to inhale all kinds of particles and short of living with a respirator on 24/7, that's life.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thanks Topless.

The reason people who worked in shipyards and as insulators got sick was because they wore no kind of air filter to restrict in intake of the dust as it was being applied.
It's interesting though that 95% of the shipyard workers at Pearl Harbor are NOT affected by the asbestos conditions. The remaining 5% are enough for the lawyers to bring in lawsuits thus making asbestos just as bad as nuclear waste. The lawyer in the article was not happy about finding the cause of asbestos related diseases. He wanted the research to go for cures.

topless

Wichita, KS
I remember a friend of mine's father talking about working and being in the Army before and during WW2. He said that only the smokers would get a break from work, so everybody took up smoking. He also learned to like coffee, since it would help hide the taste of nasty water.
You even hear the line"smokem if you got em" in movies, the guys that didn't smoke kept moving.

Asbestos is no more a danger to your health than any other mineral. The products that replaced it in insulation and high temperature applications are even worse on you than asbestos.
Example: fiberglass & ceramic fiber. If you inhaled asbestos, the fiber is twisted and knotty, it stays where it lands in your lungs. Fiberglass and ceramic fibers are straight & smooth, they migrate through tissue. You may not have a problem with your lungs, but because those fibers don't stop moving, you may have a lot of problems all over your body and not know why.

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
More years ago than I care to remember (actually, in 1958), I went to a tech school after high school to learn body/fender repair. One of the things we learned was how to control welding heat to prevent warping the sheet metal. The method we were taught was to walk down the street to the hardware store and buy a paper bag full of powdered asbestos, commonly available in bulk, and cheap. We mixed that with water to make a mud, stuck it to the metal like a dam around the area we wanted to weld, and let the wet asbestos absorb the heat. As we welded, the mud dried out and fell off, which we gathered up in our bare hands, crumbled back to a powder by rubbing it together, and put it back in the paper bag.

Maybe some of the hardware store clerks, students or teachers fell victim to some sort of ailment as a result, but I didn't (and I smoked for over 40 years), and I never heard of anyone else suffering.

Sometimes the safety nazis can go too far. Someone is making a lot of money over this.

topless

Wichita, KS
Call it the nanny complex. The things baby boomers survived would send all these government nanny's into a frenzy. No bicycle helmets, no air bags in cars (prior to '68 no seat belts either), threw firecrackers, we even had bb gun fights :eek:

Top Bottom