PDA

View Full Version : Sound 5 radio volume problem

radiotech5
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
OK, I'll start from the beginning. Recently I had my Sprinter serviced due to a glow plug problem. Radio was working fine before the visit to the dealership. Now the volume control does not work and all the features associated with the volume control. The dealership states no problem with the glow plug after they reprogrammed the computer. However since that time all the functions of the radio work with the except of the volume control. Dealership says not our problem, we didn't touch the radio. Now I suspect they wiped the radio programming out when they were working on the glow issue and now the radio does not know where the volume control is pointed. I have plain Jane utility Van 2009 model. No steering wheel controls, just the radio face only.
How do you program a Sound 5 radio or is this only available through Dodge, Mercedes or Freightliner.
Scott

seans
03-02-2012, 08:19 PM
A shot in the dark suggestion - pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes, then replace it and enter the code. If that doesn't work, then pull the fuse for a day (only because I have no idea whether or not that would allow more things to discharge) and try again.

If the problem is somehow related to the microprocessor in the radio, this would help reset it.

Again, this is a total shot in the dark.

Aqua Puttana
03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
A shot in the dark suggestion - pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes, then replace it and enter the code. If that doesn't work, then pull the fuse for a day (only because I have no idea whether or not that would allow more things to discharge) and try again.

If the problem is somehow related to the microprocessor in the radio, this would help reset it.

Again, this is a total shot in the dark.
That may help.

Given the "radiotech5" member name, the obvious answer is to replace the Sound 5 with some other head unit. Your ears will thank you.

A Sound 5 is not worth any life saving measures. If you dig deep enough I believe you will find a Sound 5 DNR form included in the original Sprinter paperwork. Have fun. vic

seans
03-02-2012, 11:19 PM
A Sound 5 is not worth any life saving measures.
Completely agreed.

Though I haven't ripped out my Sound 5 yet for the following reasons:
- It took no brains to wire in an iPod connection.
- I can actually control it somewhat with a remote control from the Craig TV I have in back.
- I don't have to wonder if I need to find a different way to power the roof antenna if I rip it out.
- Replacing it won't help the sound coming from the crummy speakers.
- It has few features, so the kids are not tempted to turn it on.
- The small pocket to the left of the driver is actually DIN-sized, so you can put your own "driver's system" in there (with a custom speaker setup, of course), and use the Sound 5 plus an iPod connection to control the sound to the movie playing in the back.
- I am not ready to pay money to replace it. (I would rather use a tablet as an interface to the sound system, but that's another project.)

One of my back-burner to-dos is to finally install a driver-only sound system that I came up with a few years back. It actually sounded quite good but the experiment was a complete hack with wires and parts all over the place (on the visor, on the headrest, and strapped to the back of the seat) so I ripped it out.

I found that a subwoofer strapped to the seat back provided much needed subsonics which, although they could not be heard over the road noise, most certainly could be felt, which can also help save one's hearing, I suppose.

This led to the design of a "butt-woofer" which fit in the space under the seat (not in the base, but above the base and below the seat padding.) If you make it to Sprinterfest East I can show this to you as it is still installed (though not used.)

The "butt-woofer" puts out enough energy, but its placement doesn't shake the butt, and the bass is lost in the road noise. So it is back to the drawing board to figure out a way to shake the seat to the beat (without strapping an entire speaker to the seat.)

But even when that is done, the Sound 5 will probably stay in there, or if it is removed, a fold-out touchscreen will take its place, and sound equipment will be part of a car PC located elsewhere.