PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Rocker Switch - AUX Electronics

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 01:41 AM
I want to wire up our LED Strobes to an OEM/Mercedes dashboard rocker switch like an AUX switch. I was hoping to fit it in one of the empty slots in the dash not being used instead of having the upfitter add their own non-matching aftermarket switch.

Anyone done this and where could I source the switch that is simple on/off?

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Searched but found little, and this didn't help

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10899

OrioN
03-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Most MB switches are momentary type. This is not an issue if you use a typical relay. Go to MB and order one that has a complementary label.

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
The mb switches are momentary type. This is not an issue if you use a typical relay. Go to mb and order one that has a complementary label.

Excellent! Thanks.. However With the momentary switch wired to the relay, would that then convert it to say a regular on/off? So it the switch once to activate and then again to deactivate the strobes?

OrioN
03-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Exactamundo.... One push On... One push Off.

Google relay, momentary, latching, flipflop, divide by 2... there are a few methods.

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Checking that out right now and should hopefully have fun solving this one..

NBB
03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Google relay, momentary, latching, flipflop, divide by 2... there are a few methods.
Oh man, I wouldn't go there at all. *Nobody* builds a bunch of logic gates into their switch installation!

The OEM switches come in many flavors. The parts book and wiring diagrams should let you know what you are getting. Don't get a momentary switch unless that's what you need. There are standard rocker on-off switches as well.

If you're going to wire *anything* into your van, you want the wiring diagrams, and the only ones worth a crap are on sprintertekinfo.com. They also have a parts portal. Get an $18 subscription and sit down and do the research you need to do, print stuff out, look at other switches and see how they are wired, figure out the illumination ckt, etc.

OrioN
03-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh man, I wouldn't go there at all. *Nobody* builds a bunch of logic gates into their switch installation!

The OEM switches come in many flavors. The parts book and wiring diagrams should let you know what you are getting. Don't get a momentary switch unless that's what you need. There are standard rocker on-off switches as well.

If you're going to wire *anything* into your van, you want the wiring diagrams, and the only ones worth a crap are on sprintertekinfo.com. They also have a parts portal. Get an $18 subscription and sit down and do the research you need to do, print stuff out, look at other switches and see how they are wired, figure out the illumination ckt, etc.

.... for example... which one of the many dashboard switches is not momentary?

NBB
03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
The high idle switch on an NCV3 is an on-off illuminated rocker switch with an LED "on" indicator.

You really need to go to Sprintertekinfo.com

OP doesn't indicate NCV3 vs T1N.

hkpierce
03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
T1N: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6206&highlight=switches

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I am having our local upfitter who is doing the spray foam and installing our shelving do the strobe install, I wanted to make sure when they do it they had an OEM type switch so they don't drill into my new dash and put some ugly ass toggle in. So these posts are all very helpful and I will get the subscription..

Thanks a ton ALL!

OrioN
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I am having our local upfitter who is doing the spray foam and installing our shelving do the strobe install, I wanted to make sure when they do it they had an OEM type switch so they don't drill into my new dash and put some ugly ass toggle in. So these posts are all very helpful and I will get the subscription..

Thanks a ton ALL!

You're welcome.... you've now got options, for which ever 'label/style' switch you desire!

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Also which of the switches would you recommend for our strobes? I am looking at the pin-outs and I will be honest I am no electronics expert and will anything the old college try but cutting down on my "play" testing time would be helpful.

OrioN
03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Also which of the switches would you recommend for our strobes? I am looking at the pin-outs and I will be honest I am no electronics expert and will anything the old college try but cutting down on my "play" testing time would be helpful.

Which style/year van do you own?

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 07:20 PM
OrioN I have a new 2012 2500 Standard,

OrioN
03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Use your owner manual to pick a 'style' of switch you like... as it contains all the 'options' views.

Then go to Sprintertekinfo.com and search out how it functions. From there you will be able to figure out if it's momentary or on/off, and following that how to wire it up.

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Use your owner manual to pick a 'style' of switch you like... as it contains all the 'options' views.

Then go to Sprintertekinfo.com and search out how it functions. From there you will be able to figure out if it's momentary or on/off, and following that how to wire it up.

I pick her up on the 14th so I guess I will have to wait until then :cry: LOL

OrioN
03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I pick her up on the 14th so I guess I will have to wait until then :cry: LOL

Search the forum for the online version (pdf) of the owner manual.

detroitdevo
03-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Search the forum for the online version (pdf) of the owner manual.

Ugg, why didn't I think of that!?
:bash:

NBB
03-02-2012, 08:17 PM
You can also look for an option code PDF, which has also been posted here a few times. Very close-up view of the switches.

I'd say sprintertekinfo.com is the ONLY place you will find the wiring diagrams for most of the switches, though. The repair CD is nearly worthless for when you actually have to do something - on purpose, I believe.