Replacing stereo in 2011 mixto, any suggestions?

mdubbyap

Reading a lot of posts and doing some research on my own i've come across these three models that fit, and seem to have everything i want, here's the list of normal things:

- plays music through existing speakers
- blue tooth integration with iphone
- nav with traffic and map updates, lifetime subscription hopefully
- rear view camera input

Things i want that perhaps aren't so normal:
- able to add a switch so i can turn on rear view camera when not in reverse (i have no back windows)
- turn off nanny features and allow my co-pilot to operate all features while moving
- the nav must not suck. i'm very picky about my uis. fewer button pushes is better, speedy ui, etc.
- similar price range ~1000

Alpine INA-W910
JVC KW-NT50HDT
Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Any thoughts or personal experience with any of these 3 models, or any others i've missed i would appreciate.

Thanks.

matthew.

ben322

I replaced the Sound 20 with the JVC and though I would prefer a higher resolution screen, I'm satisfied. I use the backup camera that's on full time mounted on the rear view mirror. On our last van, I used the video input so I could run the backup camera on demand so I don't think it would be a problem to do so with any of the head units you've listed.

For the JVC, the bluetooth is excellent, the NAV has HD Radio Traffic is a nice feature and overall a solid choice for the money. I almost got the Kenwood which uses a Garmin NAV interface but didn't feel it was worth an extra $400 at the time. The IPOD can connect via the BT or the connector which is included. I also like having a volume knob instead of the rocker switch or the worst IMHO, a touch screen only volume control. I do wish that JVC allowed a custom user splash screen but that's a small gripe. Overall a solid choice but any one of the units listed would be better than the Sound 20, Sound 5, or the crappy factory MB NAV in my E320.

siswati

Spent time at Sound Advice in their demo room playing with all 3

Reading a lot of posts and doing some research on my own i've come across these three models that fit, and seem to have everything i want, here's the list of normal things:

- rear view camera input

- able to add a switch so i can turn on rear view camera when not in reverse (i have no back windows)
- turn off nanny features and allow my co-pilot to operate all features while moving
- the nav must not suck. i'm very picky about my uis. fewer button pushes is better, speedy ui, etc.

Alpine INA-W910
JVC KW-NT50HDT
Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Any thoughts or personal experience with any of these 3 models, or any others i've missed i would appreciate.

Thanks.

matthew.
Hi Matthew

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT in my new 2012 Sprinter. Wanted to go with the Alpine but was frustrated with the interface - the Pioneer interface is so much more intuitive compared to the Alpine INA-W910. Did not like the screen quality of the JVC

Initially I tried to live with the factory speakers, but found I could not deal with the muddy sound quality. After I plunked down some serious cash on upgraded Speakers, Amp and Base unit, I can tell you that I love my new Pioneer. Do not believe the music quality is quite as tight and crisp as my old Alpine head unit.

And you can switch on back up camera when not in reverse, but don't see the need. Also if you engage reverse, even though the head unit is still booting up, the rear view camera display comes up immediately.

• Running digital rear view camera - excellent pic quality
  • Navigation screen is excellent and information input is a breeze.
  • XM radio (disappointed that I do not have the ability to store bunch of XM station presets)
  • Pandora / CD / MP3 / Ipod / etc.
  • excellent bluetooth with iphone

Still struggling with the night auto dimming setting on the navigation - cannot find the right connection to make to dim at night as the running lights are always on. - Can anyone provide some advice on this?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Had a similar spec Pioneer in mine for a couple of years now - still liking it a lot. Nice simple graphics, and I agree about the menus they're certainly more intuitive than the competition's. The immediate junction or slip road directions are very good, and connectivity options on the top of range models are amazingly comprehensive. Pioneer and Apple clearly did some deal in the UK as the way the two work together is the best integration from two different manufacturers you're ever likely to see (how we all think technology should work...!).

If I was really nit picking about the Pioneer it has a slightly noisy cooling fan, but you only hear it when the ignition's on / the engine's off / the radio's off. How often is that...?

Previously I had a Pioneer DVD based navigation system, bought back in 2000. It seems mad to think now not that long ago really people just couldn't believe it would take you across Europe and to the door!

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Still struggling with the night auto dimming setting on the navigation - cannot find the right connection to make to dim at night as the running lights are always on. - Can anyone provide some advice on this?
Matthew, what happens if you press and hold the MODE button? If you haven't got a MODE button try the others in turn.

It doesn't mention it anywhere in the Euro manuals but a menu then pops up allowing you adjust the screen settings for both day and night (illuminated). You can adjust to your liking from there.

detroitdevo

Spent time at Sound Advice in their demo room playing with all 3

Hi Matthew

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT in my new 2012 Sprinter. Wanted to go with the Alpine but was frustrated with the interface - the Pioneer interface is so much more intuitive compared to the Alpine INA-W910. Did not like the screen quality of the JVC

Initially I tried to live with the factory speakers, but found I could not deal with the muddy sound quality. After I plunked down some serious cash on upgraded Speakers, Amp and Base unit, I can tell you that I love my new Pioneer. Do not believe the music quality is quite as tight and crisp as my old Alpine head unit.

And you can switch on back up camera when not in reverse, but don't see the need. Also if you engage reverse, even though the head unit is still booting up, the rear view camera display comes up immediately.

• Running digital rear view camera - excellent pic quality
  • Navigation screen is excellent and information input is a breeze.
  • XM radio (disappointed that I do not have the ability to store bunch of XM station presets)
  • Pandora / CD / MP3 / Ipod / etc.
  • excellent bluetooth with iphone

Can you provide the part numbers/models of the CAN bus adapters used by your upfitter for the steering wheel controls. I called PAC and got their part numbers but my new 2012 arrives any day and is going straight to the Audio shop for HeadUnit install and I want to provide my audio guys with all the tools to get the job done right. If you don't have the steering wheel controls than ignore me :idunno:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Might be best to wait until arrives, then take photos of what you've got to email to someone knowledgeable - on the 2010/1 there are three different connectivity protocols. It's likely to be same story on your new one.

detroitdevo

Might be best to wait until arrives, then take photos of what you've got to email to someone knowledgeable - on the 2010/1 there are three different connectivity protocols. It's likely to be same story on your new one.
I just got a call from the Audio installer and they said my new 2012 which I ordered with the buttons on the steering wheel doesn't include any way to interface with radio.... What the heck :thumbdown:

So they have all the CAN adapters they need but I ordered my van with the no-radio module and it doesn't include any way to allow you to control the audio up/down and or phone answering.. booooo

BigBlueBus

- rear view camera input

Alpine INA-W910
JVC KW-NT50HDT
Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Thanks.

matthew.
I purchased my plug-n-play MB units from Rocco's auto tech in California. He really knows his MB audio systems. He can do anything you can dream of, he can tap into the van's can bus for anything. Why not just stay with a genuine looking head unit, instead of the unsightly aftermarket ones. Both my systems work great; but then again I don't think I'm too picky.

Look at this post, I have the same system with bluetooth, 3 backup cameras, iphone integration with steering wheel buttons and instrument cluster interface.
MB Command

Pro777

I'm looking at hooking up a Nav unit to a 2012 also(with radio delete). Attached is a photo of the one plug. 10 pins active in a 16-pin shell. I have not found a wiring drawing yet for the radio delete option.

Attachments

kazozako

"2008 170" bus" I have installed Chinese 7" double din unit, (~$270 E-Bay)and 25" flip down Tview T256ir monitor and used Scosche kit to install it in place of Radio 5, and Metra harness to plug it in. It required just minor adjustment of plastic frame and change 1 wire in the harness, and adapter for plugging in stock antenna, GPS antenna is unobtrusive on dash close to windshield, only thing not working yet is the backup camera, have to find time to install it.
Head unit plays almost everything even mp3 DVD's, USB sticks I-pod etc.. As many noted in this forum stock speakers are not greatest, however with bit tweaked equalizer sound is not bad bare some "bottom". Another tricky part is correctly powering the monitor to get good picture as it uses only RCA style video cable and is very sensitive for proper ground. Whole exercise was under $650. Next I am considering to replace just two speakers in the doors with better ones and add passive crossover to get more depth below 500Hz. I did not take any pics from installation process however I will post some from the finished project.

ehsieh

"2008 170" bus" I have installed Chinese 7" double din unit, (~$270 E-Bay)and 25" flip down Tview T256ir monitor and used Scosche kit to install it in place of Radio 5, and Metra harness to plug it in. It required just minor adjustment of plastic frame and change 1 wire in the harness, and adapter for plugging in stock antenna, GPS antenna is unobtrusive on dash close to windshield, only thing not working yet is the backup camera, have to find time to install it.
Head unit plays almost everything even mp3 DVD's, USB sticks I-pod etc.. As many noted in this forum stock speakers are not greatest, however with bit tweaked equalizer sound is not bad bare some "bottom". Another tricky part is correctly powering the monitor to get good picture as it uses only RCA style video cable and is very sensitive for proper ground. Whole exercise was under $650. Next I am considering to replace just two speakers in the doors with better ones and add passive crossover to get more depth below 500Hz. I did not take any pics from installation process however I will post some from the finished project.
Can you share more info of the parts you are using?
Brand/model# or even better with the URL links.

Thanks,

red_johnny

Can you share more info of the parts you are using?
Brand/model# or even better with the URL links.

Thanks,
I have one of those 7" double DIN in my AV. There are good for the price but I dont think I would do another. Part of the ground issue is part the head unit as well. All aftermarket units no matter what they are need good grounding. I really need to redo my AV install and ground it better. Anyway, search ebay for 7" double DIN touch screen and you should find them. For the 25" drop down just search 25" SCREEN FLIPDOWN TFT LCD MONITOR. If I do the Sprinter this screen is the one I will get though I think I will get a MB radio with all the extras.

Top Bottom