Cam Shaft Sensor location

Gessippi

The Freightliner dealer is stumped, it won't start and if you get it started it smokes, no codes and every fuel test is in spec, so I'm back to slinging parts at it.

I have a Cam sensor I bought just in case but can't seem to find the little bugger.

$800 and one of these :idunno: and I'm back were I started.

07' 3500
It has one of the popular egr/dpf mods, so those are not the issue.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It's under an engine cover.

From the service manual:

136304955.jpg
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor (3) is mounted on the right cylinder head cover. The camshaft position sensor is a hall effect sensor, and supplies a signal to the Electronic Control Module (ECM). The ECM uses the signals sent by the CMP and the crankshaft (CKP) sensor to determine injection timing.
A little more from the service manual:
The signal circuit of the camshaft position sensor (3) has a voltage of approximately 5V . If the segment machined into the intake camshaft sprocket is positioned opposite the camshaft sensor, the camshaft signal is approximately 0V . This 0V to 5V signal is used by the engine control module (ECM) for detecting ignition TDC of cylinder 1 as the engine rotates. If no signal is supplied by the camshaft position sensor, the vehicle will not start.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thanks to showkey posting a video in another thread.

[youtube]itMXO56z1tw[/youtube]

Towards the end of there video, there is some info about testing your "hall effect" camshaft position sensor. Great stuff.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Gessippi wrote:
So my dealer says they get a message that says " cam sensor is not communicating with the crank sensor" they call Mercedes and all they say is try a differant key.
and showkey replied
Think they are trying to rule out the ignition key anti-theft immobilizer system causing a no crank no start. My guess is they are also having them check all the common things that cause a crank no start before they start on all the obscure stuff and throwing more parts at it. MB thinks they forgot or did not check ALL the simple stuff. (Like fuel quality and pressure) among others??????? electrical connections pin fit at all the sensors and ECU etc (pin fit judgement is the friction of the male/female connectors can be temp sensitive, CAN wiring connectors do not like no or low friction)

Throwing parts is a valid technique, if the dealer has a known good vehicle and begins swapping the parts until the broken car starts............a good dealer will do this and only charge for the broken part. Under warranty MB would pay the labor involved out of warranty customer pays Sometimes that is a benefit of the dealer compared to the aftermarket repair place that will not have access to the parts substitution unless the part is purchased (and likely no return).
Gessippi,

If your van needed it, an MB, Freightliner or Dodge dealership should have caught the recall on the CRANKshaft position sensor impacting about 6,000 2007 US/Canadian vans.

sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2866

Regardless, it's worth checking www.dodge.com/owners

Scroll down to the RECALL area at the bottom of the page, put in your VIN and see if yours comes back needing Chrysler recall 08-H0-21-82

-Jon

Top Bottom