Front Door Seal

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I finnally got around to installing the extra front door seal Mercedes makes, MB part number A 638 721 14 80. The seal kit was engineered specifically for the Vito 638 series, but works equally well in the Sprinter.

The extra door seals keeps out water when opening the door and reduce wind noise from the door gap.

The seal komes in a kit and if you only want to add the seal along the A-pillar and the top of the door, one kit is enough if you cut the seal in half.

I purchased 2 kits at Bölle Mercedes in Konstanz, but I would imagine any MB dealer should be able to get the part by using the part number. Cost was approximately 26 Euros.

There are many reports on the German forum about the seal coming off and not adhearing very well so I made sure to thoroughly prep and degrease the area.

I decided to use 2 Kits (one per side) and run an additional seal down the B piller (trailing edge of the door).

The seal reduces the wind noise to the point where at 80 mph the wind noise is as low as it was at 70 before the installation of the seals. At 70 it seems as low as it was at 55 prior to the seal installation.

I am very happy and don't have to strain to listen to music or to talk on the phone.

Cheers
George

Attachments

unik

George,
After you've got additional seal
do you need more force to clouse doors now?
uNik
p.s. Great Project:lol::lol:

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
unik,
the doors close just as before, the seal does make the top rear edge of the door extend out about 1/8th inch.

I was pretty skeptical about the reported reduction in wind noise but have been pleasantly surprised. It really is more quiet.

cheers
George

P.S. for the time, effort and money this really has a great impact on noise levels

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Nice job. How about the radio speakers above door was that a simple job?
Not too bad, but I did remove the headliner...

The headliner is made from resin impregnated fabric.
The big parts are about 1" thick and have some give.

Towards the edges the material is compressed down to less than 1/4 inch and that makes it more rigid...it's not the most structurally sound material.

I glued in 1/2 inch birch plywood rings with t-nuts for the mounting screws.

The wires run up the A-pillar behind the trim (lots of room in there)

Having the speakers closer to the head makes it possible to have the music not as loud and the Polk Audio speakers sound so much better than the factory things.

Cheers
George

unik

Today after First oil change :rolleyes:
I made speed test:shhh:(do not report cups):shhh:
Stepppping on gass to floor gives 85m/h :rolleyes:
Noise from uper level of drivers door appear from 69m/h till 76m/h:crazy: It sound like jet-plane taking off.
If I do play music from JVC radio and 4 Pioners speekers, music over rides noise.
Wether conditios: 75F temperature sunshine no wind
Road I-10 Florida.

My SPRINTER-2500 158",ExtRoof,Made Apr2006,9000miles,First oil change done today November10-2007.
uNik
:cheers:
Personal esimate: I am from Interstate HW in 55miles distance. Less than once in two month.
My max speed 60m/h around my creek-vilage.
Perhaps will save it for later project:popcorn:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
If I do play music from JVC radio and 4 Pioners speekers, music over rides noise.
And the resulting overload to your ears causes loss of hearing and an earlier purchase of hearing aids than would have otherwise been the case. :professor:

unik

Thank You Doctor:clapping: WoodBill
I still consider myself yang just passed 1/2age+2year:2cents:
so, how old I am? :shhh: Please do not tell this calculations to my g.friend:tongue:

uNik

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Thank You Doctor:clapping: WoodBill
I still consider myself yang just passed 1/2age+2year:2cents:
so, how old I am? :shhh: Please do not tell this calculations to my g.friend:tongue:

uNik

Let me guess. If by "yang" you meant to type "young", then I guess 52. On the other hand, if "yang" refers to an aspect of oriental spiritualism then you are a bright positive masculine principle and still 52.
And, without a doubt, unik

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
We have been without the commentary of Unik for several months. Perhaps if we start talking about him he will return.

flemsmith

I'm in the middle of installing the MB weatherstripping, and at least so far, the adhesive doesn't seem to be doing much. I may resort to the ol standby yellow super weatherstrip adhesive, but I'll give it a few days with the masking tape and the door shut before I decide fer sure.

I used denatured alcohol to clean the door sill surface first, taped the weatherstripping up with periodic hunks of painter's masking tape, then pulled off the double sided tape covering on the weatherstrip and reinstalled, still using masking tape to keep the location. Looks like it will defintely seal much better, door closes pretty well, just requires a little more firm hand than before.

We'll see about the adhesive. If it doesn't hold, I'm not worried, just a little messier job. If anyone knows something I'm doing wrong, please advise.

Thanks.
Roy

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I'm in the middle of installing the MB weatherstripping, and at least so far, the adhesive doesn't seem to be doing much. I may resort to the ol standby yellow super weatherstrip adhesive, but I'll give it a few days with the masking tape and the door shut before I decide fer sure.

I used denatured alcohol to clean the door sill surface first, taped the weatherstripping up with periodic hunks of painter's masking tape, then pulled off the double sided tape covering on the weatherstrip and reinstalled, still using masking tape to keep the location. Looks like it will defintely seal much better, door closes pretty well, just requires a little more firm hand than before.

We'll see about the adhesive. If it doesn't hold, I'm not worried, just a little messier job. If anyone knows something I'm doing wrong, please advise.

Thanks.
Roy
The 3M adhesive isn't all it's cracked up to be for the narrow strip width.
Mine failed after about a year.

Since then I have reglued all of my weatherstripping with Sikaflex 252.
I can't say enough good things about it, it is bullet-proof and I have never had any issues since...

Cheers
George

Colorado_Al

I did this mod about a year ago with generic weather strip from auto zone. Still holding and working fine for about$40.

Top Bottom