PDA

View Full Version : DEF fluid drain and fill

rpmx1000
02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I have a 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 2500, 3.0 liter. Dealer told me to drain the DEF fluid and refill it with all new fluid as a first step in repairing a check engine light. Does anyone know the proper way to drain the fluid? Thanks for your help.

flman
02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I have a 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 2500, 3.0 liter. Dealer told me to drain the DEF fluid and refill it with all new fluid as a first step in repairing a check engine light. Does anyone know the proper way to drain the fluid? Thanks for your help.

Why not have the dealer scan for codes, rather then drain and refill and still have a possible CEL? That sounds like guessing to me?

I suppose you can siphon it, but not with your mouth for sure. :drool:

OrioN
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM

CEL's don't usually need repairing... other issue that cause the light do.

As Brother Bubba said... have the codes read... it could be EGR, Temp Sensors, DPF, turbo, Air Pressure, etc, etc...

rpmx1000
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
The dealer where I bought it did scan for codes and he told me to drain the DEF. Truck has 120 k and is out of warranty.

flman
02-17-2012, 10:16 PM
The dealer where I bought it did scan for codes and he told me to drain the DEF. Truck has 120 k and is out of warranty.

Ok, you should have let us know, any ways put a vinyl tube to the bottom of the DEF tank through the filler neck and blow a little compressed air down the neck with a wet rag wrapped around the filler to get the siphon started, that is what I would do. I would assume you could just let it go on the ground since it is almost organic. If you do not have a source of compressed air a vacuum cleaner exhaust should be get to get things going as well.

sailquik
02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
rpmx1000,
Did you dash screen give you a DEF low or some other DEF related message?
You can buy a little hand operated siphon pump that should allow you to siphon
the DEF out of the tank.
I would not put it on the ground as it will probably eat concrete....very corrosive!
Don't get it on your hands or on any metal surface on your Sprinter.
Wear gloves!
Roger

jdcaples
02-18-2012, 05:17 AM
It's hard to believe that a drain/fill procedure will do anything that disconnecting the fluid level sensor (where ever that is) wouldn't do.

Nearly every control unit on the vehicle can be reset by the dealership tool, Mercedes-Benz Star Diagnosis System.

I'd call another dealership service department or contact the Sprinter Engineering and Safety Compliance team (http://sprinter-engineeringcompliance.com) for a second opinion.

Contact information for the Sprinter Engineering & Safety Compliance team is on page 24 of the first part of the body builder handbook (Sprinter BBIB 5-03-2011 part1 of 2.pdf) attached to this posting:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139364&postcount=1

-Jon

Aqua Puttana
02-18-2012, 05:40 AM
What I know about DEF would fit in a urine sample cup, so I did the Google on the internets. Turns out there are some other manufacturers that claim it needs to be drained for some reasons.

This Duramax thread was interesting because some of the complaining about dealership staffing and response made me think I was back on sprinter-source. There were other hits if you duplicate my search using "def fluid go bad" without the quotes. Have fun. vic

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-lml-duramax-powertrain/91786-def-quality-message.html

flman
02-18-2012, 12:15 PM
rpmx1000,
Did you dash screen give you a DEF low or some other DEF related message?
You can buy a little hand operated siphon pump that should allow you to siphon
the DEF out of the tank.
I would not put it on the ground as it will probably eat concrete....very corrosive!
Don't get it on your hands or on any metal surface on your Sprinter.
Wear gloves!
Roger

The ground is the earth not concrete. ;)

flman
02-18-2012, 12:18 PM
It's hard to believe that a drain/fill procedure will do anything that disconnecting the fluid level sensor (where ever that is) wouldn't do.

Nearly every control unit on the vehicle can be reset by the dealership tool, Mercedes-Benz Star Diagnosis System.

I'd call another dealership service department or contact the Sprinter Engineering and Safety Compliance team (http://sprinter-engineeringcompliance.com) for a second opinion.

Contact information for the Sprinter Engineering & Safety Compliance team is on page 24 of the first part of the body builder handbook (Sprinter BBIB 5-03-2011 part1 of 2.pdf) attached to this posting:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139364&postcount=1

-Jon

Jon, don't the sensors also test the fluid strength? Other wise we could dump water or windshield washer fluid into the tank and not have to pay for DEF.

jdcaples
02-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Jon, don't the sensors also test the fluid strength? Other wise we could dump water or windshield washer fluid into the tank and not have to pay for DEF.

I'm not sure the same sensor does both jobs: measure fluid level and judge fluid authenticity.

I suppose it could... the engine oil level sensor seems to also provide quality.

flman
02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure the same sensor does both jobs: measure fluid level and judge fluid authenticity.

I suppose it could... the engine oil level sensor seems to also provide quality.

I am pretty sure it does it by conduction ohms reading, thus the bad fluid giving the OP a CEL for bad fluid.

I know I heard or read some where about a DEF sensor, just don't remember where, and I am too lazy to care or want to look right now. :thinking: