MAF Sensor Change DIY?

My Sprinter was diagnosed with a bad MAF Sensor. The dealer wants $1300 for parts & labor. euro-parts has the MAF sensor for $300, and I was wondering how much DIY work is involved in changing this sensor. Any DIY guides for this would be helpful. Thanks!

Sprinter: 2002 2500

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Its right at the air intake (where your air filter is). I have pulled the MAF out of mine to spray MAF Cleaner on it with. While I never disconnected the cable to it, all I needed to do was undo the hose clamp and unscrew the 2 screws holding it in (Torex) to the Air Filter holder (Don't take the screws out that are near the connector, unless that is what is needed to get the connector off).

To put it back, lube up the o-ring and slide it back in, reattach the hose, tighten the hose clamp and plug the connector back in.

Attachments

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Super easy, and easy to get to. DO NOT buy an aftermarket MAF, make sure it's the OEM part. I bought a $50 replacement off Ebay, it looked exactly like the OEM, but drove funny and there was smoke in the exhaust under load. Cleaned and put back in the original one and it drives great with no smoke.

You can also get a $5 can of MAF cleaner at the autoparts store and try cleaning yours before you replace it with a new one, worked for me.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Mine was diagnosed as having a faulty MAF sensor. I bought an eBAY aftermarket from OnlyMAF , installed it in 5 minutes and worked perfectly, & no codes. Nice to know I saved $1300, which is a criminal amount if you ask me.
I saved the faulty MAF and will clean it if this one fails, my suggestion to you is clean it.

Kubbie

'06 2500 140" Std Roof.
Is this a dealer you have a relationship with?
Is it worth it to go and call out the service manager - ask why the $1300a charge for something as complicated as changing a wiper blade.
About six months ago i had a tranny put in a dodge minivan and it was under $1300. I'd be pissed off with tbat estimate.

surlyoldbill

Mine was diagnosed as having a faulty MAF sensor. I bought an eBAY aftermarket from OnlyMAF , installed it in 5 minutes and worked perfectly, & no codes. Nice to know I saved $1300, which is a criminal amount if you ask me.
I saved the faulty MAF and will clean it if this one fails, my suggestion to you is clean it.
You had a lot better luck than I did, mine was from the same place, and was only good enough for the van to run, but not great.

Top Bottom