235/85/16 on DRW?

russ in ok

I have a 2011 3500 DRW chassis. I would like to goto a 235/85/16 tire. I believe the increased load capacity will make the van drive better (it's not bad now) and I like the idea of the gearing change. I'm just concerned about the clearance, particularly between the rear duals. I searched and found lots of people happy with the size change on their SRW NCV1's, but nothing specific about a DRW chassis. Anyone?

I should mention that another reason for considering this is I picked up a spare set of steel wheels, Iam ready to order a set of dedicated winter tires for them and the 215's are currently out of stock. The 235's on the other hand are available. I know that skinnier is better for a winter tire but I am confident that the 235's would still be more than adequate and we are planning a trip in two weeks that I want the Blizzaks for.

Last edited:

russ in ok

Any dually drivers reading this? Having looked at the air gap between the sidewalls, I'm going to say there is NOT room for any increased section width without risking rubbing the DRW sidewalls together. I found a Hankook snow tire that I am going to try. If anyone is interested in a review of the Hankook I*Pike RW11 post up here and I will let you know once I have tried them out.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I wanted to put the,235/85-16 Michelin LTX M/S-2, on the sprinter 3500. I looked at the clearance between the stock 215/85-16 tires. The clearance between the duelies looked to be 21mm+/-, unloaded, not enough room for a 20mm larger tire!

BRANCALEONE

Hello guys.
I drive a dully and I just put the 235/85/16 Michelin on it.
After 5k miles, no problem detected, smooth riding.
I think I will stay with this measurement for the rest of my van's life.
MPG went down a little bit.....no biggys.

Mauro

CJPJ

Hello Mauro. Good news,Because I want to install taller tires! What is the Clearance between the DRW sidewalls,when using 235/85-16 tires. I may need room to install chains. Also, running the 1" +/- taller tire, the distance traveled is larger then indicated by the speedometer. Possibility, the MPG could be the same or better. Thanks Charles

Last edited:

BRANCALEONE

CJPJ Glad I helped you with my answer.
I don't think you can use chains on this size tires, I can tell there is no more room for it....sorry.
Stud tires yes.
Noticed when I'm going 60 mph the GPS said 64 mph which I think is normal.
MAURO

sailquik

I have 215/85R16 Michelin LTX MS2 tires on my 2010, and I have a set of dual rear wheel chains.
Everything fits fine and there are no clearance issues!
As far as going with the 1.0" larger dia. tires, depending on if you have a load in the
van or a trailer behind, the larger tires WILL cause your engine management systems
to run you at a higher LOD and higher fuel flow, so you may or may not save fuel.
Unloaded.... probably OK, might give a slight improvement in fuel mileage.
Any sort of load, head winds, trailer > 1000 lbs. or wider than the van and you
may get worse mileage.
If you do this, be sure to manually downshift when there is any headwind > 15 mph,
whenever you are climbing any sort of grade, or whenever you have a load in or behind the
van.
If you have an UltraGauge or ScanGauge II you will see the increased LOD/fuel flow/ MAP/boost pretty easily and can then downshift manually to reduce the LOD and strain
on the Sprinter Drivetrain.
Roger

CJPJ

tire size____________ 215/85-16__________ 235/85-16
section width _______ 8.46" ________________ 9.25"
rim width range______ 5.5"-7" ________________ 6" -7"
overall diameter______ 30.38"________________ 31.72"
circumfrence________ 95.44"_________________ 99.65"
actual speed________ 60MPH_________________ 57.4MPH
spedometer diffrence_ 0%____________________ 4.407% Too Slow
diameter diffrence____ 0%____________________ 4.23%
revs per mile ________ 684.6__________________ 655.7

I see that the Sprinter 3500 rim width of 5.5" is 1/2" under the recomended range of the 235/85-16 tire. I'm guessing that using 235/85-16 tires on 5.5" rims will slightly slow the steering, and a reduction in stability will show up in cross winds as more sway, being that the tires sidewalls are .67" taller and more askew to the rim. How much less stable, with slower responce? I'll guess comparatively little, but noticeable!
I'm still considering the taller tire. I like the appearance in the wheel well of a larger tire. I like a small increase in the final drive ratio. I dont like clearance between the DRW being small. larger circumfrance tires last longer,shortens brake life,small increase stress to power train, Mother inlaw will have to step .67" higher to get into the Sprinter. Good and Bad to everything... I think I'm over thinking this!....:smilewink:

russ in ok

I have a set of dual rear wheel chains.
Roger
Can you tell me where you got your chains and which ones they are? I've been shopping for some and there are SO many options it's a bit overwhelming. I will have to buy them online since no one sells them around here.

anomaly

I'm interested in hearing your experience. I just put new tires on my '07 this week.

Sadly, handling is not great unless I drop tire pressure in the rear to about 50PSI.

I'm using General Tire LT245/75R16 120/116S model 078236

Looking like I'm going to have to swap for another brand.....

steve604

i am about to put 235-85-16's on a 2010 sprinter dually. i figure there is more than enough room between the rear tires but my worry is with clearance in the front fenders when turning and hitting a bump. has anyone experienced any tire rubbing in this instance?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
i am about to put 235-85-16's on a 2010 sprinter dually. i figure there is more than enough room between the rear tires but my worry is with clearance in the front fenders when turning and hitting a bump. has anyone experienced any tire rubbing in this instance?
What's your logic for going with a larger dia. tire?

russ in ok

I wanted to do it for the increased load capacity and resulting stability increase, plus the taller highway gearing (it's a way to cheat about an additional 4mph from the governor) but I chickened out because I was convinced there would not be adequate clearance between the duals. Looking at the truck, I would be shocked if there was a clearance issue in the front though. If you go this way I'd love to know that if the rears really do clear each other!

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I wanted to do it for the increased load capacity and resulting stability increase, plus the taller highway gearing (it's a way to cheat about an additional 4mph from the governor) but I chickened out because I was convinced there would not be adequate clearance between the duals. Looking at the truck, I would be shocked if there was a clearance issue in the front though. If you go this way I'd love to know that if the rears really do clear each other!
You have DECREASED stability, as taller sidewalls = mooooshy/spongy. The gap between the tires will narrow by 40+mm or 1.8"... this is getting close to rub.

Last edited:

russ in ok

You have DECREASED stability, as taller sidewalls = mooooshy/spongy.
There is a lot more to tire stability then just sidewall height. Stability and load capacity are highly correlated. For example in a Firestone Transforce the load rating for the larger tire is 3042 lbs. vs. 2680 lbs. for the smaller tire. There is no doubt that the larger tire would be more stable with the same load.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Understood... but no... yes, load capacity does increase with height... but surprisingly it is at the expense of more sidewall flex, when in fact you load to maximum rating. But, you said you wanted more load capacity which I read as you want to carry more load, so if keep same load as now, you will see more stability.

russ in ok

Yes that's the benefit I am looking for. Since my sprinter is a class B RV I am always carrying a decent load and sometimes I pull a 5000 lbs trailer. More capacity is better. But I share your concern about lack of clearance between the rear duals which is why I have not done it.

Top Bottom