Right Tail Lights not working....help

Richd67

I have a 2004 cargo Sprinter with the right rear tail lights not working. Turn signal, brake light and backup lights work. Also, the cruise control quit working I think at the same time. I have changed all bulbs and all the fuses are good.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Rich

sailquik

Check your brake light switch adjustment.
There are many "how to do it"s on this forum.
Do a blue bar search on "brake light switch".
The cruise control not working is a pretty good indicator
that the switch is not retracting fully and the "systems"
think your brakes are on, even when they are not.
Roger

Last edited:

Richd67

Thanks Roger! That fixed the cruise and the tail light problem was a broken wire on the frame. Thanks again
Rich

hillis24

Chattanooga, TN
I have an 06' and also had the same lights working and not working. All bulbs were good, so I started pulling fuses because I had no idea which one belonged to the lights. Many of the fuses had white colored corrosion, so I cleaned them off and blew out the mounting block and now they all work.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
My Turn signal relay is acting very strange, it will speed up, slow down, and if the radio is on especially on AM, it will make a crackling sound through the speakers as the relay engages and disengages.

It will speed up sometimes, slow down sometimes, and sometimes just stop working all together.

When I remove the plate under the steering wheel and locate the 2 relays responsible at the bottom, and wiggle the 2 relays in question it seems to help.

has anyone had this similar issue and found a remedy? I figure it is the wiring somehow, like the contacts that hold the relay in place perhaps are bad, or the relay, or maybe some chaffing of wires somewhere else?

I am in a humid climate so this contact corrosion mentioned above could very well be possible.

To clean such contacts with steel wool would be okay to see if this is causing this weird erratic behavior?

Cheers,

Tibor

When I remove the plate under the steering wheel and locate the 2 relays responsible at the bottom, and wiggle the 2 relays in question it seems to help.

has anyone had this similar issue and found a remedy? I figure it is the wiring somehow, like the contacts that hold the relay in place perhaps are bad, or the relay, or maybe some chaffing of wires somewhere else?
Probably not wire chafe, but it could be. I had similar problems which responded to the relay wiggle. The #1 Fuse Block FB #1 does have a bit of history of contacts loosening up. There was also a thread in which someone indicated that they had found a cold solder joint in the lower section of their FB #1.

I am in a humid climate so this contact corrosion mentioned above could very well be possible.

To clean such contacts with steel wool would be okay to see if this is causing this weird erratic behavior?

Cheers,

Tibor
Cleaning the contacts and adding a bit of lube (I use plain old Vaseline) can't hurt. I would avoid using steel wool around electrical though. The small seel strands break off and then can cause problems with little shorts or stray current in computer signal connectors. Avoid emery paper for the same reasons. The grit can be conductive. A Scotchbrite pad would be the better choice. Maybe very fine regular old sandpaper, but you really don't want to remove too much material or you can damage the plating. The grit is not generally conductive on regular sandpaper.

Here's some info on what I did. Good luck. vic

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7909

Top Bottom