PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this driveline sound with file?

Clark2
01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I've been trying to identify this intermittent driveline sound for the past couple months. The problem with intermittent is that it never performs when you want it to :rolleyes:. The sound finally has become repeatable enough to record the sound. My wife and myself believe its coming from the rear of the van while my son believes its coming from the front of the van. That kind of pegs it around the carrier bearing but it could be the wheel bearing or differential. There is no definite time that the sound happens, but it seems to happen the most just after you apply the break and then start accelerating.

OrioN
01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
It sounds like the 'lightweight' driveshaft is experiencing flutter due the changes in force from acceleration to deceleration, but no longer being stabilized by the hanger bearing. I had my drive shaft and bearing replaced to a new revision, and the fluttering is 'reduced', and the noise gone from the beefier bearings.

Clark2
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks a lot for your help! I didn't want to try replacing the carrier bearing until I was at least some what sure that it was the cause.