DIY DPF cleaning

SRT

Hi-Miler
I heard this would work.

Remove DPF. Block the inlet and the bungs for the O2 sensor and pressure sensors with whatever is available. I heard that fingers cut from latex gloves; wrapped with small rubber bands; will block off the threaded bungs. A zip strip, a spray-paint can lid, and a pair of latex gloves can be used to block off the inlet. That's what I heard, anyway.

I heard you can rest the DPF against something sturdy, inlet side down, fill it with DEF, and let it sit for about 4 hours. After 4 hours (longer may work even better?), drain the DEF. Take the DPF to a coin-op car wash, and spray the outlet side of the DPF with high pressure for 4 to 5 minutes. You might see black "stuff" come out, or so I heard.

Reinstall the DPF and drive the truck about 10-12 miles at Interstate speeds. From what I've been told, huge clouds of steam may come from the tailpipe as the DPF steam-cleans itself, utilizing the water left inside from the car wash.

I heard that an NCV3 Sprinter that has no power (even one that drops down to 60 MPH on hills with the cruise set on 80) will suddenly run great again after doing this, maintaining whatever speed the cruise happens to be set on, even on hills. I heard that acceleration is greatly improved, as well.

A 2-1/2 gallon jug of DEF is about $15.00. A car wash costs about $2.00. I'm guessing the total cost is under $20.00, from what I heard.

Dingo

Other makes fitted with dpf's that go to the stealership are driven hard in a lower than normal gear to raise the exhaust gas temperature , this heats up & burns off the ****ty deposits . This is why so many new cars especially those fitted with dpf's end up showing fault lights & going into LHM ! when driven round town , not enough heat in the gases . Heat is what regenerates the DPF by burning off the deposits that have built up

I cannot see that pressure washing your DPF will really do much for too long , just load your sprinter & make it do what it was meant to do ( carry lots & do it fast ) . A good thrash up a steep hill works wonders for many engines , just do not get silly & hold it on the rev limiter , it will also clear the turbo & exhaust of built up crap layers . Watch the poor bugger behind you vanish in a blanket of soot .:professor:

ovlo

this is so far from how def works it's funny. I would not recommend pouring def in your exhaust to clean your dpf. it's not at all a cleaning agent. if your truck didn't come with a def system from the factory it's not at all meant to ever have def used on it in any way

def is sprayed in the exhaust in very small amounts to produce a chemical reaction to reduce emissions. not to bench clean your dpf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHvi2Lgnac

watch this video link for an explanation of how def should work

Dingo

Sems blody expanseive , A friend who wroks for Renault tels me all they do is cane the berries out of the engine in thelower gears to up the gas temp & flow rates . This efectively burns off the gunk built up . Careful town driving kills these filters as the gases never get hot enough to regenerate the filter assy .

Just try it & see

ovlo

if the check engine light is on the vehicle wont regenerate from what I have been told. I have been clearing codes on all of the sprinters I have in hopes that they will regenerate. I just bought my first replacement dpf for a little over 2k. I dont really want to replace them all at that cost

FilterCleaner

Filter Cleaner
The DPF has catalytic material in it. When you wash it with water you are damaging that material and allowing the water to get between the ceramic and the metal. When you drive away in a cloud of steam you are also sending the metal with it.

A much better idea is to have the DPF modified with a service kit. The kit allows the removal of the DPF, cleaned by baking and then using air and a vacuum machine to remove the ash and then put back on. Beats buying a new one. www.dpfcleaning.biz/dpfkits.htm

Top Bottom