I Miss Dodge

big_d

1) Bought two new NCV3's. Total cost > $100k.

2) One arrived our facility with a bad right mirror. Driver called to complain about it shortly after leaving dealership in MI. Didn't want to waste time sending him back, because I assumed that dealer would not have a mirror motor in stock. Figured I'd just take it to the Dodge dealer we like and have it fixed there.

3) Unfortunately, Dodge dealers cannot perform warranty repairs on vehicles newer than 2010.

4) Took it to Hoffman Estates MB. Tech there refused to perform repair, stating that we had damaged the mirror by applying an adhesive convex mirror to the mirror glass.

5) Submitted a customer service issue to MBUSA via their website. Explained that dealer's diagnosis was wrong and that defect existed before convex was applied. MBUSA called the dealer, then called us to parrot the dealer's erroneous diagnosis. MBUSA refused to undertake the repair, which would consist of $60 part and maybe 1/2 hour - 1 hour labor.

6) I provided MBUSA with driver's trip sheet showing the time and mileage departing MI dealer, time and mileage arriving our facility and a VIDEO of the vehicle arriving and immediately having its mirror thoroughly inspected, including having mirror glass removed to inspect mirror motor. I certainly cannot think of any reason someone would immediately inspect a mirror upon arrival of a new vehicle, unless there was something wrong with it.

7) Despite this rather compelling evidence that the mirror problem was preexisting, MBUSA has not offered to undertake the repair or reimburse us for the cost of the part and the labor to install it.

This would have never happened if Napleton Dodge could service > 2010 Sprinters. We have taken all of our first 7 Sprinters there and have been happy as pie with their service. Now that we have to deal with MBUSA, things are no longer so peachy. Can't believe MBUSA didn't fall all over itself trying to make good. They should have swiftly agreed to resolve the problem in order to keep a repeat customer happy, instead of needlessly destroying accrued goodwill.

Last edited:

shanemac

Amazing, you drop good coin at that dealer and that's the way the dealer and MB treat you... very sad indeed.:frown: Not a great way to kick things off for future repair work i hope things will improve for you and your sprinters.
I always find most dealerships i walk into very uncomfortable there's just something that makes my skin crawl...but when i go in for warranty work i grin and bear it and hope the service manager and advisor's are in a good mood.

Sprinter SS

I sure dont miss dodge. My tenure with dodge dealers was rough and I have never seen dealerships(s) that have a higher turnover rate of employees. The work was always below par, greasy and for me I stood a 1 in 3 chance I would be going back for the same problem.

I guess to each his own and this issue probably varies regionally. I do like some frieghtliner dealers with respect to being open 24 hrs for emergency stuff however they are definately truck guys!

If you have a bad experience with a MB dealer I would explain the issues to the sprinter hotline, they have your best interest more than a dealer.

big_d

Here's a picture of (the back side of) a mirror motor on a 2008, in case anyone who hasn't ventured into the mirror housing wants to see one.

My 2009 came with manual mirrors and I had to buy all the stuff to add power mirrors. It wasn't hard to figure out the part numbers for the motors and mirror control switch, but figuring out the little electrical connectors was a nightmare. The drawings in the parts book were not helpful. In the end, I wound up buying one of every connector from several pages of the parts book. Connectors shown on the dashboard page wound up being the correct connectors for the point at which the harness connects with the mirror control joystick. That project was very time-consuming!

Attachments

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Does this stress you out as much as it stresses me out? 2009 as antennae, wi-fi, gps, and power mirrors were being installed.
Nah, my van looks like that on occasions, but I do all the work. OTOH, it would stress me out if I'm not doing the work.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Been there, done that. No more stress about it. Once you figure out how it comes apart, it's not that bad.
Paying for it would make stress. I actually like working on the this van.

Top Bottom