PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Sprinter......Blew oil cap off and dipstick half way out.

mercedes1981
01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
2002 Sprinter.....just gave it alot of service, replaced fuel filter, fuel pump on front of engine (was leaking bad), EGR valve, serviced it (oil and oil filter), new belt and belt adjuster. Everything was fine took it on a few test runs after work was completed. Started on a trip and got around 50 miles down the road, smoke started going everywhere, heard a very loud pop. Got out popped the hood, the oil cap had blown off and the engine oil dipstick had blown about half way out..................What in the world could have caused this? All the work I did was very minor stuff (not in price) and easy to do. Any ideas on what may have happened. I had it towed, got oil back in it, put a new cap on it. It will run but has a slight miss in it, doesn't smoke and no knocking inside the engine. All help is appreciated. All parts I used were from local Mercedes Dealer.

talkinghorse43
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Way too much crankcase pressure from blowby. Maybe the crankcase vent was plugged (frozen). Or maybe a piston has a hole? Or maybe a cracked or broken ring? Miss could be due to a bad injector or low compression on one or more cylinders.

Aqua Puttana
01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
What in the world could have caused this? All the work I did was very minor stuff

It does sound like routine stuff. That much pressure in the crankcase generally takes some major issue. (I really hope I'm wrong.)

A guess, because nothing you mentioned seemed like it could cause this.

Our NAFTA Sprinters have an oil filter cap and spike which the filter is pushed on. I have read warnings that if the filter is not pushed all the way "home", it can restrict oil pressure and cause problems. To make it even worse, MB has not included an oil pressure monitor of any type on our NAFTA Sprinters.

When I changed my oil just last week I was reminded again that the filter really needs to be double checked. OEM dealer filter... I pushed it on the spike to where I thought correct... one last push to be certain, a pop and it moved on all the way.

I don't know what engine you have. Do you have the same oil filter design? Then again maybe it was nothing you did? :idunno: Sometimes coincidences happen coincidentally.

Sorry if I've steered you to worrying about something that is a non-issue. Good luck. vic

NelsonSprinter
01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I've read that the dipstick must never be in while the engine is running, it's only for checking while off, why was it in yours while driving?

P.S. New threads posted about your 2002 Sprinter are best placed in the "T1N" section lower in the lists of board sections

mercedes1981
01-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Where exactly is the crankcase vent hose located? Does it have a valve or is it just a hose?

Aqua Puttana
01-26-2012, 12:12 AM
I've read that the dipstick must never be in while the engine is running, ...
Are you thinking about the NAG1 transmission dipstick? All Sprinters I've seen come with an engine oil dipstick from the factory. :idunno: vic

talkinghorse43
01-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Where exactly is the crankcase vent hose located? Does it have a valve or is it just a hose?

Look at the air intake hose from the air filter box right before the turbo. The crankcase vent is a line (no valve, just a mist eliminator under the engine cover - that could have also plugged) coming down from the top of the engine to that point. Mine has an electrical connector at the junction with the hose to the turbo that supplies power to a heater. But, mine has the cold weather package option and I think I remember correctly that not all '02s had that heater. But even if you also have that heater, it could be bad.