PDA

View Full Version : Heater mounted outside.

525rider
01-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Just got and bench tested my new Webasto AirTop 2000. I like it, but it is little loud, not much but still for sleeping I would prefer it outside under the van. Has anybody tried that?
Thanks

Graphite Dave
01-18-2012, 12:33 AM
If I was to install one, I would strongly consider mounting it under the van. I would put it under van behind sliding door step between the step and the "frame rail". I would put the inlet on the vertical step wall just behind the passenger seat. I would build a SS box with two holes in it. One for step inlet and one for the Webasto inlet. Webasto behind that and then a duct as far back as you can go with a 90 up through the floor into the van. In my case the hot air would exhaust under the sink so another 90 would be used to exhaust air back toward the sleeping area. Looking at some of the posts it appears that the exhaust hose is very flexible so it could be used for the two 90's. You would have to protect the heater from water splashes but that should not be too difficult.
It will be interesting to read the comments on your idea from people that have installed the heater.

Colorado_Al
01-18-2012, 01:01 AM
I would suggest installing it under the front passenger seat or inside of a cabinet. You want the fresh air intake to be drawn from the cabin so that you are heating warm air, not outside air/potentially drawing in combustion exhaust from the heater. (The combustion intake you need to draw from outside of the vehicle.) If you install it in a cabinet and duct the intake and hot air, you will need to make sure you are using a remote thermostat, not the one built in to the body of the heater.
Frankly the loudest part of the setup is the dosing pump which goes outside of the vehicle and you will need to isolate for sound. The fan is really white noise and might help you to sleep. Anyhow, you won't get rid of the fan noise by installing the unit outside of the vehicle as that sound will be carried into the vehicle through the ducting anyhow. It will be easier to keep the heater isolated from water if it is inside the van, rather than outside, and easier to service it too.

bc339
01-18-2012, 01:26 AM
From the Webasto site "All Webasto Air Top heaters can be either mounted outside, in the double-floor or inside the vehicle. For outside mounting Webasto offers an additional cover to protect the heater."

Here's the link: http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/downloads/product-sheets.html

Also, in the T1N database, look under the Espar files, on post#6 are the webasto files with a service manual.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13601

Bruce

mean_in_green
01-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Don't Webasto warn not to use "internal" air on the intake side, with measurements for separation of exhaust and inlet?

Mine is partially boxed in under the rear seat. I found if you mount the pump on a box section chassis rail you can't hear it at all inside (bolt it to the floorpan and that ticking will drive you nuts).

Fitting the heater outside is certainly possible but I felt it could have a longer service life if inside.

I don't mind the fan noise actually, or rain on the roof.

psalm66
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Don't Webasto warn not to use "internal" air on the intake side, with measurements for separation of exhaust and inlet?

Mine is partially boxed in under the rear seat. I found if you mount the pump on a box section chassis rail you can't hear it at all inside (bolt it to the floorpan and that ticking will drive you nuts).

Fitting the heater outside is certainly possible but I felt it could have a longer service life if inside.

Sportsmobile installed my Webasco (2000, I think) inside the van and the air intake draws air from inside the van. Again, there is no separate "outside fresh air" intake. Does this violate the manufacturer's installation requirements?

Hooligan
01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
I know nothing about these heater so please be gentle.
my experiance with heaters on a boat is that they only break down at night. So with this in mind do you need to get to the unit to clean or reset it. I'm thinking of buying one soon and I love the idea of mounting it outside out of the way so when I'm now using the van for camping it's out of the way.

mean_in_green
01-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Either inside or outside is possible, I can't ever remember noticing a vehicle manufacturer that fits them outside though. My own reasoning for fitting it inside was just to keep it protected from moisture ingress. The cabinet over it dampens the fan noise.

mean_in_green
01-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Sportsmobile installed my Webasco (2000, I think) inside the van and the air intake draws air from inside the van. Again, there is no separate "outside fresh air" intake. Does this violate the manufacturer's installation requirements?

Reads like it could be a "Webasto Airtop 2000D" Ray - the common model.

There's a diagram on the installation guide showing how to correctly and safely route the intake and exhaust, both being shown as external to the vehicle. The european version of the installation guide is thorough, giving clear instruction and more detail than you might think necessary. I'm sure links to it have been posted on the forum, check it out?

EDIT: "The combustion air inlet must not be drawn from inside the passenger compartment. The heating air inlet can be either fresh or recirculated air."

Colorado_Al
01-18-2012, 09:58 PM
As I said above:

Combustion air intake needs to be drawn from outside of the vehicle.

Heating air inlet may be from outside of the vehicle, but you will get much less efficient heating if you draw outside air into the heating air inlet. If you draw in air from the cabin (which is warmer than the air outside) you will have a more efficient heater and your cabin will warm up faster.

Additionally, if you do draw heating air in from outside the vehicle you need to make sure that it is isolated from the exhaust of both your engine and the heater.

Graphite Dave
01-19-2012, 04:37 AM
My #2 post description suggested the inlet air would be from inside the van with the hole on the vertical wall of the step just behind the passenger seat. I would not heat outside air.

Colorado_Al
01-19-2012, 04:56 AM
+1 What Dave said.