Hot Water Showers, on demand

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I installed an Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater on our Sprinter last summer, and am finally getting around to writing it up. It got moved out next to the hot tub after the summer trips and then stored when the weather started to get wet and cold, but we need it again in the Sprinter this weekend so it's back in there and available for photos.
This water heater works great. It gets hot within 3 seconds of firing up, so minimal water is wasted (we usually have a bucket sitting next to the shower to catch the cold water). The only thing to watch for on firing it up is a surge of hot at first that can scald you, until the thermostat regulates the output. It only lasts for a second, but it sure gets hot for that one second. Hold the shower away from you when firing it up until the temperature stabilizes.
This system ties into my on board water system which is powered by a Shurflo pump and fed from a 13 gallon tank mounted inside the rear doors. The company literature says it will heat for 21 hours on 5 gallons of propane.
01shwrpmp.jpg
This photo shows the tank and pump side of things. The extra bottle to the left is one of 2 used to refill the system when out and about without city water pressure. The red valve handle controls the filling, just hook up a hose and connect to either city water or a bottle and fill. The small piece of pipe sticking up next to that valve on the tank is a vent for the tank. If that vent was closed, it might be possible to leave the tank connected to city supply, but i have never needed that. The gauge is connected to the pressurized output of the pump and is where the shower is connected when in use. Otherwise, i had this gauge lying around and thought it might be nice to monitor the system pressure, and have a second way to close this connection. Because i used 'shark bite' fittings, all the pieces rotate easily, so that line swings in next to the vent tube and out of the way of loading things, and out to connect the shower connection. There's a lever valve in the line just before the hose thread fitting that the gauge and shower hose connects to. The tank is held in place by a ratchet strap around the framework that holds the bed up in the rear, which is itself anchored to the tie down rings in the floor.
03shwrdoor.jpg
This shows the shower unit attached to the rear door. I got a little paranoid about having a gas fired heating appliance hanging from the plastic door skin, so i got a SS cookie sheet for a heat shield. Turns out it probably would have been fine without, but since i got it i figure 'what the heck'. The whole thing hangs from one bolt that was drilled through and bolted to the door metal behind the skin and projects out about 1/4". That little 1 gallon gas bottle will heat a lot of water and usually sits farther away around the corner from the showering area.
Operation couldn't be simpler; just flip the switch on the shower handle and the heater fires up automatically (uses 2 D cell batteries to fire it up). It's best not to fiddle with the controls on the heater once the temperature is set, it's very automatic.
05shwrback.jpg
Here is the whole thing set up with the cedar platform i built to stand up out of the mud while showering. There is also a shower curtain we hang from the back of the van to keep the inside dry, and if needed another to hang from the doors for privacy (though we've never used that part).
07shwrfill.jpg
This shot shows how the city line is attached for filling. Keeping it simple was one of my goals. I have moved and remounted that pump about 4 times trying to find just the right place for it to work well and still provide access for the shower. This was the simplest setup i could get to achieve these aims, and it works well. Plenty of pressure for the shower, and minimal trouble getting water up to the sink. In use, this tank will last well more than 2 weeks of living in the rig, if i don't take showers (where i live/work there are hot springs to shower at). It's mostly for washing hands and dishes, and brushing teeth. The lines on the side of the tank mark how much water 1 or 2 jugs (~5 gallons each) put in the tank. The rule i use for friends using the shower when in the wilds is you must supply your own water. That may mean filling the bottle from a hand pump at a campground and dumping it into the tank, a small price to pay for a hot shower. One must learn to take short showers, i shoot for 2 gallons per, others have trouble keeping it under 5.
09shwrhottub.jpg
This is the shower mounted at the hot tub with a friend using it. This has proven so popular that another of my projects around here is to install a permanent outdoor shower here. Just what i needed, another project.
The great thing about this shower is its portability, as shown by the hot tub installation. I can also take this down and hang it from a tree in a campground, or the side of a building if that's where the water is.

Hope this helps.
Jef

Charlie

2008 2500 170 Diesel
Jef,

Looks great. Must be especially nice for your cold weather camping at Breitenbush.

I installed an L5 in our Sprinter last year and am also quite happy with it. I chose a permanent installation in the van wall with a side vent. We currently use it for hot water at the sink but I'll be adding an outdoor shower hose before this summer. According to my wife, it is the best van project I have ever done.

When I first saw the L5 online, I dismissed it as a cheap piece of junk, but it actually works very well. If it does fall apart a few years down the road, replacing it for $120 won't upset me.

Well, I liked it so well that I replaced the unbroken $1000 Bosch demand heater that came on my sailboat with the $120 L5. The Bosch had no electric start and every time we shut the propane off with the solenoid valve, the pilot would go out. As a result, we never used it - it was easier to put a kettle on the stove. On our last cruise, we used the L5 heavily for a month with no problems. It remains to be seen how it holds up in the marine environment, though some sailing friends with a similar unit have had it for years.

I agree with you about not fiddling with the controls. I was a bit worried about not having easy access to the knobs, but that was the price of making the venting simpler. In practice, after once getting the settings right, I never change them.

I'm surprised there aren't more of these in vans.

Charlie

cedarsanctum

re: Member
@Charlie, I would love to see some photos of how you mounted this inside and vented it. They do sell a model that can be vented to outside, but it's larger and more money. I'm not sure i would mount it inside anyway, but i'd like to see how you did it.
I actually don't need to use this at Breitenbush, we have plenty of hot water for showers, right out of the ground. I just took a looonnng shower this morning, it was great. No need to feel guilty about using too much water. Best part was, i went straight from that hot shower into a pair of hot pools, one at 103F, one at 110F. Couple hours of that, and you really understand how good life can be.
We did use this heater at Silver Falls State Park after a sweat ceremony there, it was greatly appreciated.

Jef

icarus

Not to dash cold water on your great project, but a Zodi camp stove shower works great,, with a lot less headache.

http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihotstovetopshower.html

We used one for years in our off grid house when the lake was frozen 7 months. Runs for weeks on a couple of D cell batteries. Simply take a 5 gallon bucket of water, and it pumps itself, and if the water is not hot enough, recirculate into the bucket to taste. We took frozen lake water, and in ten minutes had a gret shower.

We now have a year round solar powered water system that pumps though the ice, and flows through a conventional demand hot water heater so we don't need it anymore,, but I keep it handy in case the pump fails below 4' of ice.

Icarus

Last edited:

napo

2019 170 4x4 Hightop
To CHARLIE
"I installed an L5 in our Sprinter last year and am also quite happy with it."
I would also like to see how you mounted and vented your shower unit. I've been thinking a good bit about this same setup for my Sprinter build, as I will start my build in May in Port Orchard, WA

Top Bottom