Question for anyone that has had a hanger bearing failure

Geek

What were the symptoms?

Were you able to still drive it to get it to the dealership or did the bearing failure stop the vehicle?

thanks in advance.

Eric Experience

Geek
I replaced several hanger bearings that were noisy, then I got to cut one open to find out it had no grease in it. Since then I made a tool for regreasing the bearing and have not had to change one since then. You can continue to drive if the noise is not extreme. Eric.

unimog

Eric, could you please explain how you regrease the hanger bearings and the tool you made for it?

Eric Experience

Unimog.

To grease the bearing you have to remove it from the shaft, this a simple job. The regrease tool consists of a plastic disc which is a press fit in the ID of the bearing it has a small sholder to stop it going right through. Also a steel disc shaped like a large welsh plug, the flange on this disc is the diameter of the part of the bearing outer that you can see. The metal disc has a screw in the centre that screws into the plastic disc. The metal disc is screwed onto the oposite side of the plastic from the sholder. there is a grease niple in the metal disc. When grease is pumped in it fills the space between the discs and then is forced through the bearing, Eric

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Unimog.

To grease the bearing you have to remove it from the shaft, this a simple job. The regrease tool consists of a plastic disc which is a press fit in the ID of the bearing it has a small sholder to stop it going right through. Also a steel disc shaped like a large welsh plug, the flange on this disc is the diameter of the part of the bearing outer that you can see. The metal disc has a screw in the centre that screws into the plastic disc. The metal disc is screwed onto the oposite side of the plastic from the sholder. there is a grease niple in the metal disc. When grease is pumped in it fills the space between the discs and then is forced through the bearing, Eric
Any pictures you could offer of this tool by chance?

Top Bottom