Relocated: Window fogs, antifreeze smell

This was in the Water Pump Write-up. I copied it to here to keep the Write-up thread more on track.
I'm wondering if I should replace my water pump?
I wouldn't given the symptoms you listed.

When I turn on my auxillary heater/espar, and select the heat pump button (9 oclock on switch that also has the A/C button), I can smell antifreeze/coolant and then the window fogs up with a film of antifreeze.
I remember seeing something about a gasket kit for the espar heater, but I can't find the thread.
I'm at the point where I really need to be able to heat up the van full bore, but I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll just bring it in to my mechanic (very trustworthy fellow), and say pull it apart and fix it - replace the water pump if necessary.
The van has 320K miles on it and it will get another 80-100 next year, so maybe I should just do it?
Thanks,
George

PS: What is the best place to get a water pump and/or gasket kit for the espar?
George,
The Espar heater heats the coolant which is circulated around in the closed cooling system. One of the things which that heated coolant goes through is the heater core. Generally windshields fogging up and smell of antifreeze in the cabin is related to a leak in the heater core or other leak which gets into the air duct and pushed up into the cabin by the fan.

A leaking water pump generally will drip out onto the ground (eventually). It doesn't add fog (or smells) to the cabin. Good luck. vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom