PDA

View Full Version : chrome wheels

Chandlerazman
12-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Anyone crazy enough to have had their wheels chromed? I am seriously considering having my 3500 outer wheels chromed. I personally like the look of the factory steelies and had them powder coated silver a while back. The tire shops have done their destructive scratching magic on them [tire rotations] and the appearance is not up to my satisfaction. I personally would rather stay away from wheel covers and the alcoa wheels are really expensive.

Altered Sprinter
12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Be warned, the chroming process weakens welds.
Richard

Chandlerazman
12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Jaysus! Don't you sleep?! I get a response in two clicks. Amazing!
I've had other wheels chromed. The shop I use does a fantastic job. Need to call them for a quote before I get too excited...

atulin
12-29-2011, 01:23 AM
I personally would rather stay away from wheel covers and the alcoa wheels are really expensive.

I've been really happy with the stainless covers. Might be worth a try for $200.

http://www.cactus-club.us/images/sprinter3500simulators2.jpg

Altered Sprinter
12-29-2011, 02:02 AM
Jaysus! Don't you sleep?! I get a response in two clicks. Amazing!
I've had other wheels chromed. The shop I use does a fantastic job. Need to call them for a quote before I get too excited...
U Funny man :lol:
Life's too short to sleep.
Cheers Richard:thumbup:

mean_in_green
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Simon, if you don't want to fit stainless covers another way to do it would be to get Alcoas and polish them. It'll never flake off like chromium will but you'd be committing to a regular polish routine. You may or may not mind that...

I had stainless trims on my old dually, I think I polished them three times in nine years! Soap and water did just fine for the most part.

flman
12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Simon, if you don't want to fit stainless covers another way to do it would be to get Alcoas and polish them. It'll never flake off like chromium will but you'd be committing to a regular polish routine. You may or may not mind that...

I had stainless trims on my old dually, I think I polished them three times in nine years! Soap and water did just fine for the most part.

X2 on the Alcoas. :thumbup:

gary 32
12-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Anyone crazy enough to have had their wheels chromed? I am seriously considering having my 3500 outer wheels chromed. I personally like the look of the factory steelies and had them powder coated silver a while back. The tire shops have done their destructive scratching magic on them [tire rotations] and the appearance is not up to my satisfaction. I personally would rather stay away from wheel covers and the alcoa wheels are really expensive.

Simon you are an honorary member of the anal club, remember we have seen your TR-6.:bow:

Paint is so much more forgiving than plating. If you were to chrome yours you would find welding flash, heat affected areas and imperfections showing through the plating that your paint currently hides.

A welded steel wheel can not match a cnc spun wheel for round, exact center bore and lug pattern placement, this precision results in smoothness and eliminates wheel vibration that you would notice and appreciate.

Sorry, better to man up and cry once, please post pictures of your Alcoas.

Chandlerazman
12-29-2011, 04:05 PM
LOL! Gary, without having met you, you've spotted me right on!
I think at this point, my wife would finally have to raise her voice on my spending habits!

So you think the TR6 is nice?
I recently bought a smaller ride to toy around on. Yep, It's already got all the extra bits I could find and install :bounce:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/500RifloorboardsE.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/BikeinLivingroomE.jpg

jdcaples
12-30-2011, 01:34 AM
LOL! Gary, without having met you, you've spotted me right on!
I think at this point, my wife would finally have to raise her voice on my spending habits!

So you think the TR6 is nice?
I recently bought a smaller ride to toy around on. Yep, It's already got all the extra bits I could find and install :bounce:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/500RifloorboardsE.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z229/Chandlerazman/BikeinLivingroomE.jpg

Sorry to drift off topic, but why do people put these things called "wives" in the way of living?

My girlfriend doesn't feel the need to be married on paper or do any thing like a wiccan hand fasting either. We both love the same things about life and - as far as we're concerned - commitment is commitment needing no paperwork for affirmation.

If I told her that chroming welding weakens the bonds, we might have a spirited discussion, but more likely I'd just agree and abandon the vanity for safety; no marriage license required to make the right decision.

-Jon

gary 32
01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Sorry to drift off topic, but why do people put these things called "wives" in the way of living?
My girlfriend doesn't feel the need to be married on paper or do any thing like a wiccan hand fasting either. We both love the same things about life and - as far as we're concerned - commitment is commitment needing no paperwork for affirmation.
If I told her that chroming welding weakens the bonds, we might have a spirited discussion, but more likely I'd just agree and abandon the vanity for safety; no marriage license required to make the right decision.

-Jon

Jon, I can answer this!
In this case wife is a metaphor for uncontrollable childlike behavior.

Example:"My wife would finally have to raise her voice on my spending habits".
Simon, Alcoas make no sense financially but you still want them, ucb.
Nice touch putting you bike in your living room, looks like you are blocking your TV though.

Jon, have you told your girlfriend about your clean fluid fetish and the costs, (ucb)? You may need a wife soon...

Now my beautiful wife after 20+ years simply laughs at my constant ucb.

hny

slsbl77
01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Be warned, the chroming process weakens welds.
Richard

The way to go if you want chrome wheels is PVD...a method of chroming that will not weaken the wheel or flake off. Google it.

flman
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Sorry, better to man up and cry once, please post pictures of your Alcoas.

The last Alcoas I had were on my Freightliner FL50 the were 22.5 duallies. I am not sure I have a pic, but in the end they were not all that shiny, although I did polish them a couple of times. :thumbup:

peterraaso
01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi
Do you know where you can buy these stainless covers?
Nice pic, they look really good on your sprinter

Chandlerazman
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
The way to go if you want chrome wheels is PVD...a method of chroming that will not weaken the wheel or flake off. Google it.

I did take a look at the website. Interesting stuff. Any idea on the cost? I may have to call the company.

atulin
01-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Hi
Do you know where you can buy these stainless covers?
Nice pic, they look really good on your sprinter

I bought mine here -> http://www.rvwheel.com/dosp16whsise.html

A good sized dead blow hammer will make the install easier.