PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes

samiznaetekto
12-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I need to drill some holes in Sprinter's internal framework to mount shelves, etc. (so the holes are not through to the outside.) Just wanted to hear some advice on how to drill holes properly without any chipping. Any specific drill bits for that? I've never drilled cars before, so a little bit nervous, don't want to make a bunch of ugly holes in my new toy. :smilewink:

maxextz
12-28-2011, 11:10 AM
welcome:thumbup:

anytime i drilled holes in metal that i didnt want marked id use insulation tape,with 2 pieces cut about 2 inches long crossing one another in a cross shape and use the center for the hole.
the tape will give the drill tip some grip.

sailquik
12-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Max's tape trip works well!
A center punch on a Sharpy pen mark works good for locating them also.
You can buy the "self-drilling" screws that do a good job also, if you use Max's
method or a center punch to locate the positions of the holes.
Any jobber's length TI nitride drill made for steel works nicely.
If you are going to be using the MB Trilobular screws, look for a combination
6mm drill/tap. It drills the correct size hole and threads it for you.
You can also drill them slightly small and run a 6mm x 1.0 tap thru the hole first,
before screwing in the MB Trilobulars.
If you are going to be putting alot of weight on your screws, put back up washers
and nuts behind them where ever you can get to.
the rivnuts work nicely, but be sure to get the correct drill/reamer and installation
tool.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Chandlerazman
12-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Also use caution when drilling so you don't pop through too far and ding the exterior sheet metal with the bit :frown:

BBlessing
12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Also use caution when drilling so you don't pop through too far and ding the exterior sheet metal with the bit :frown:

get a "stop" collar for this.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=drill+bit+stop+collar&pbx=1&oq=drill+bit+stop+collar&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=0l0l1l1071l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=dc9072f4d1d34f4c&biw=1344&bih=795

bb

Mrdi
12-28-2011, 03:13 PM

EXCELLENT point. Tape the bit at the length you want to stop insertion; ten wraps of tape around the bit will keep it from penetrating to the outside!!
Vacuum the up the remnants after drilling and seal the raw metal against rust.

Graphite Dave
12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Just drill a hole in a small piece of wood the correct length to prevent hitting the outside wall. I did that after the first hole. Don't ask how I know to do this.