Charging main batt from jump start.

Mrdi

Some of the NCV3s came with a 220 alt and aux batt under the hood. The cargo vans with this option also have a Red Hot
access jumper post under the hood. This post, I believe, is connected to the MAIN batt.
My 2008 Cargo will not be started for one month and I would like to attach a trickle charger to the hot post and ground the charger to the main chassis of the van. My thought is this would keep the battery "up" for the duration.

Possible? Thoughts, experience with this method?

Last edited:
I don't see why it would not work. I have not trickle charged off that post but I did hook up my 2 amp charger there when I left something hooked up that I forgot about and ran my battery down.

I should say that my van does not have the aux battery, just the main one

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Some of the NCV3s came with a 220 alt and aux batt under the hood. The cargo vans with this option also have a Red Hot access jumper post under the hood. This post, I believe, is connected to the MAIN batt.
<snip>
All 2007+ US/Canadian Sprinters have a jump post mounted on the right side of the engine air filter box.

It connects to the starter motor.

The starter motor is directly connected to the alternator, the main battery and the jump start post on the side of the engine air filter housing.

-Jon

All 2007+ US/Canadian Sprinters have a jump post mounted on the right side of the engine air filter box.

It connects to the starter motor solenoid.

The starter motor solenoid terminal is directly connected to the alternator, the main battery and the jump start post on the side of the engine air filter housing.

-Jon
Translation:

Go ahead and do it. Not to worry, everything will be just fine. :smilewink: vic

showkey

I have used the jump posts for winter storage trickle charging for the last two years.:thumbup::thumbup:

+ connection on the air cleaner housing (as posted earlier)
- connection on the left side innner fender (post threaded into chassis/body I removed the post use eyelet wire connection under the post and re-installed wiring stays connected to body year round positive connection only when needed)

I use a second trickle charger on the house batteries. The chargers are specific for bringing the batteries to full charge and then go into maintenance float mode not all trickle chargers are set up to do that.

Last edited:

BBlessing

61k happy miles
trickle chargers are ok, but not really good for long term storage. you should instead get a battery tender. they are not chargers, they won't charge a dead battery. they keep charged batteries from discharging. and they won't boil your battery dry.

bb

Mrdi

Thank you Gentlemen,
The Charger I intend to connect is a :
Battery Tender 800 automatic battery charger

B Blessing, and all, perhaps you are familiar with this particular charger?
Does it meet the long term connection requirements?

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Translation:

Go ahead and do it. Not to worry, everything will be just fine. :smilewink: vic
Um, yeah. You may connect a battery tender to the starter jump post and - assuming your alternator->starter-> jump post/battery cable

is good w/o corrosion or other problems.

you should be fine, esp since you're in California.

You might consider exposing the battery to the charging/tending device with the floor board covering open/removed; exposing the battery and connecting directly to the positive (+) and negative (-) posts. I'd disconnect the battery connectors (both sides), wrap them in a latex or rubber glove and connect the battery tender directly to the battery w/o any extra (native) wiring.... but that's me and not necessarily practical.

-Jon

Um, yeah.

You might consider exposing the battery to the charging/tending device with the floor board covering open/removed; exposing the battery and connecting directly to the positive (+) and negative (-) posts.

-Jon
Jon,
I was wondering about opening the cover also. My quick assessment was that with a "float" charge it probably is not necessary so I didn't bring it into the mix, but it is always a good idea to keep air circulating as you suggest.

I'm not so sure about isolating the battery though. First let me say that some is of my thinking is based upon the old electrolytic capacitors going bad after being de-energized for long periods, so my opinion is based upon ancient history. I'm of the opinion that keeping the electronics energized and included while maintaining the battery charge is the better option. The voltage will be very stable so spikes and stress shouldn't be an issue. Maybe even the tiny bit of heat generated by idling components and the always there voltage will actually be the better electronic component environment? :idunno: I have no research or facts to cite as reference. FWIW. vic

glas1700

Both the Battery Minder and the Battery Tender brand chargers will charge a discharged battery and maintain it when connected 24/7. I've used a Battery Minder for years and have charged a few completely discharged batteries with it. I also leave it connected full time on a vehicle that I rarely drive.

Both of these chargers start out with a bulk charge voltage that's over 14V, then switch to a lower float voltage of ~13.2V for maintenance.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

http://batterytender.com/

Byron
07 Navion

trickle chargers are ok, but not really good for long term storage. you should instead get a battery tender. they are not chargers, they won't charge a dead battery. they keep charged batteries from discharging. and they won't boil your battery dry.

bb

wmlog

The sole purpose of the (+) battery jump post and (-) brass ground terminal post is to provide electrical access to the main (starter) bettery without having to physically expose the battery.

A quality battery tender should certainly easily keep the battery charged while not in use or in extended storage. Keep in mind that the auxilary battery is isolated from the starter battery unless the vehicle is running.

:2cents:

bikergar

...I would like to attach a trickle charger to the hot post and the ground the charger to the main chassis of the van. My thought is this would keep the battery "up" for the duration.

I have used this method for a couple of years and it works well for me.

gary

Top Bottom