Fan Clutch Repair

jturpin

I have been reading and decided my alternator pulley clutch may be bad. So I decided to do a front end overhaul. Water pump, pulleys, idlers, hoses and alternator. I took my alternator off one day and have forgot which way it goes. The four mounting bolts allow me flip the alternator either way. The mount on the alternator housing is flat on one side and notched on the other. I put the notched side against the block. The reason why I think it may be wrong is my alternator cable does not follow the same path to hook up. The old alternator had a back cover with a indention to accept the cable. The new one (Bosch) does not. How is yours mounted? Also, no wobble of the fan, but this it what my fan clutch looked like after 300K Do you think it bad? :smirk: Caught it in the nick of time!

Thanks,
JT in NC

Attachments

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Here is a shot, looking up from the ground, of my installed Alternator. I recently put in a 150 amp unit in place of the original 90 amp). You may be able to figure out if yours is oriented right or not. I looked at the old one and it looks like it could go either way and still fit.

My Fan Clutch was ok when I swapped the water pump and other moving parts this past summer. Yours looks like it needs a new one.

Attachments

Top Bottom