PDA

View Full Version : extended warranty

walkingbear
12-25-2011, 03:58 PM
We are just closing a deal on a Freightliner Passenger Van.

The van is a 2010 and have been sitting on the lot for 18 months. They
sell lots of Sprinter Cargo but could sell this one. " We don't get many car people
looking to buy Freightlineer".

It is worth 3K for an extended warranty. We are getting the full 3yr/36k plus the
100K engine warranty.

Part of the deal was for them to change all the fluids and filters with new and check all the seals.

david_42
12-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Both of the problems with my Sprinter were resolved within 18 months of purchase. I haven't spent $3000 on it, excluding fuel, in the seven years I've owned it.

autostaretx
12-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Things to check: if it was truly *sitting* there for 18 months, the tires may have developed a D-shape.
This will turn up as a persistent thump thump thump (and, at speed, thumpityThumpityThumpity).
The battery is now 1.5 years older, too.

there is probably nothing that will have affected the *long* term operation of the Sprinter, but some more immediate things may be less than happy.
(by "all fluids", dd that include brake fluid (which ages)? Transmission fluids probably do not need to be changed.)

" We don't get many car people looking to buy Freightliner".
That's solely due to failure of their advertising...
In our case (back in the days of Dodge), the next-state Freightliner dealer was the only source of 118" WB Passenger models for test-drives.

--dick

Aqua Puttana
12-25-2011, 04:32 PM
The battery is now 1.5 years older, too.
Good point. Not to mention that it likely has gone completely flat at least once during sitting there. That can shorten battery expected service life.

(by "all fluids", dd that include brake fluid (which ages)? Transmission fluids probably do not need to be changed.)
--dick
Mercedes Benz is very specific that the factory engine oil fill is a special break-in oil and that it is intended to be used for the entire first 10,000 miles of service.

Assuming this is a new left over vehicle?

Were I you I would cancel the engine oil change immediately. Forgo the transmission oil change as Dick suggests, and instead have them apply those costs to installing a brand new battery. I feel that will be the best bang for your negotiating buck. (They will likely use the removed OEM battery in some other vehicle, so they should go for this scenario without any problem.) FWIW. Have fun. vic

walkingbear
12-25-2011, 06:46 PM
What I have gotten was to not change the oil because it is break in fluid.
Not change the tranny oil for the same reason.

Have them check the brake fluids or change them out.
Have them switch out the batteries on a new model.
They are changing out the def because of the sitting time.

Anything else. I will picking this up in Jan and I have to the 31st to close the deal.

$40,500 passenger with rear air and heat. MSRP $47850 plus a full tank of fuel.

How do you convince them about the tires? I would prefer to have newer tires in the BF Goodridge MS 265x75x16 like I have
on my sprinter now. Only 180 miles on the beast.

Frosty_1
12-25-2011, 09:26 PM
May want to have them bleed the brakes as well(see posts from jdcaples about h2o in break lines).

If they are going to put in a new battery, maybe get them to put in an AGM. Or, see what it would they would charge to upgrade?

Dougflas
12-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Do you realize that this vehicle is just about 2 model years old? What is it worth driving off the lot? They are giving you just less than 8 grand off MSRP. I would think they'd want to move it and let it go for thier exact cost but that is just my thinking.

Good luck

walkingbear
12-26-2011, 04:22 AM
yes, I know it is two model years old. I keep cars a really long time .
Over 8-10 years the cost evens out 4 years. You can't buy a 2012 for this amount.
You can buy used 2010 close to this without the warranties.

I think it is a fair deal. I will see if they want to change a few things. They
haven't sent the paperwork yet and I haven't sent a deposit.