The dreaded engine light

Chandlerazman

So after a quiet period from my van of about 8 months, the engine light came on yesterday. It was about 62º when I jumped in the van for lunch. The glow plug light came on and went out after about a minute. My scan gauge shows 0676 as the code. Regardless of it's accuracy, I need to get this taken care of as I don't have the time to have a breakdown.
Aside from that, it has been uneventful over that period. I now have about 57k.

72chevy4x4

the glow plug was on for ~ one minute? Mine never stays on for more than a few seconds even on the the coldest of days-no wonder you have an overtemp. Is that an issue w/ the glow plug controller?

Chandlerazman

So I went to MB of Chandler yesterday for an out the door price of $96 for an oil/filter change when I brought up the CEL error code on my scan gauge. I typically do not go to MB of Chandler, but for the price of the oil change, it could not be beat. Not even by doing it myself. So they ran the diagnostics for free (as a courtesy they say) and came up with glow plug 6 failure. (Diagnostic fee would have been $200 according to the receipt...) MB of Chandler did not want to touch the van under their warranty and told me to go to Dodge. I went to Tempe Dodge and they covered the repair under the emissions warranty. So they replaced the #6 glow plug and the module today.

1 68102087AA PLUG

1 68013182AB MODULE-GLOW PLUG

On the tech notes it says:
58459 Glow Plugs and Module failed test and replace glow plugs and control module, retest passed.

Per my request they did a safety inspection at no charge.

This is the updated story. So, what would have this cost if I were SOL? (out of warranty of any kind)

On a side note, the Dodge dealer I originally bought my van from a couple of years ago went through a tremendous transformation. That place is unbelievably beautiful and modern looking. It outdid MB of chandler in the comfort of the waiting rooms, the smooth warm lighting and the open space. I did fall in love with two cars there. The Challenger and the Charger. My wife said "Fuggetaboutit" when she dropped me off. Oh well, one can dream huh?

So in conclusion, not sure if they changed all of them or just the one. The service advisor says they did them all. I only see one part number for the glow plug.

72chevy4x4

has anyone else observed that if the glow plug light stays on for a longer than anticipated period (nearly a minute as was the case for Chandlerazman) that a glow plug and/or module is bad?

Chandlerazman

Simon... has MB taken over any portion of you warranty previously?
I took the van to MB of Chandler for their $96.00 out the door oil change deal. So with that, I asked them to check the codes. It was then that I was told adamantly they will not do warranty work on the dodge line.

Schumacher has always done warranty work on my van but in this case the Dodge dealer was a mile away and much much closer to home. I prefer MB to do the work, but in the end, if I don't gotta pay, it don't matter!

I will be bringing the van to Schumacher MB for a fuel filter change next week. I will ask them what they would do in such scenario.

Chandlerazman

has anyone else observed that if the glow plug light stays on for a longer than anticipated period (nearly a minute as was the case for Chandlerazman) that a glow plug and/or module is bad?
The only time the glow plug light stayed on for more than 3 seconds is when there was that failure. I do question the replacement of the module on just one plug failure. I am sure this would have cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ out of warranty and with that said, makes me feel uncomfortable in owning the van past 100k. It would be nice to own a vehicle debt free but at the same time, dropping 2-6k on nonsense repairs that you don't see go wrong on the average vehicles would not be worth it over having a payment that is tied to warranty. I will say this though. I still love my van and it is the best thing out there. Bottom line, like Piper, I am in business to make money and not spend it on super expensive van components. So the large Transit may be in my future? Who knows. If we didn't have all this emissions choking stuff, there would be far less problems with the NAFTA vans. There has got to be a better way to control emissions without having 10 computers monitoring it.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I took the van to MB of Chandler for their $96.00 out the door oil change deal. So with that, I asked them to check the codes. It was then that I was told adamantly they will not do warranty work on the dodge line.

Schumacher has always done warranty work on my van but in this case the Dodge dealer was a mile away and much much closer to home. I prefer MB to do the work, but in the end, if I don't gotta pay, it don't matter!

I will be bringing the van to Schumacher MB for a fuel filter change next week. I will ask them what they would do in such scenario.
But, are you already registered under MB for warranty, like I have for my van?

72chevy4x4

I am in business to make money
forgive me if you've stated this in other posts, but has the van dumped you or have you lost time due to warranted repairs?

I've had mine for a year and a half (used) and put 25k on it without serious issues (only a few hiccups but nothing a restart didn't mask). It beats the tar out of the old Chevy box van and even though the mileage at 16-17mpg isn't as good as hoped for, much better than the 9.5mpg of the chevy.

btw, I just paid $90 for the oil from MB...not including the $16 filter I had on hand-I would jump all over that deal!

Chandlerazman

Orion, I have the Chrysler extended warranty that I haven't touched yet. Schumacher has been servicing my van with or without warranty claims. I think each dealership decides what their policy is on servicing Dodge badged products. Clearly MB of Chandler would service it under warranty if it is a third party provider or their own but would not do any recall work on it.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I guess what i am questioning is... Once mb approved the vehicle for warranty i do not think a specific mb dealer can or should refuse coverage...

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Chandlerazman

Well, MB of Chandler did not want to even think about looking it up or helping me other than changing the oil. No matter to me as I only wanted to take advantage of the special. I am going to be taking the van to Schumacher this week for the fuel filter change as I do not feel like messing around with it. I will ask them about warrantable work and responsibility.

For others in the area, make sure you call them and get the oil change price quoted first before assuming they will do it for the $99 price. I paid $96 out the door.

Top Bottom