PDA

View Full Version : Poor reception on the sound 5

Expert Marine
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
A problem I'm having is also low (very poor) AM/FM reception.
Does anyone have a schematic on the antenna to radio connections/modules involved?

We allready tried a new radio at the dealer. There is no noticeable difference in reception with the antenna unplugged at the top. Seems like theres a break in the connection somewhere.

Its currently working with a 3' long piece of 16g wire to the back of the radio.

rvdriverca
09-28-2007, 05:41 AM
In my 2006, I have the same problem after trying to chance radio's. Seems like ground and center wire mixed up near the roof mount , as per a signal genrator. Some day when my health improves, I'm going to remove the headliner to see what's going on.:bash:

Altered Sprinter
09-28-2007, 06:20 AM
A problem I'm having is also low (very poor) AM/FM reception.
Does anyone have a schematic on the antenna to radio connections/modules involved?

We allready tried a new radio at the dealer. There is no noticeable difference in reception with the antenna unplugged at the top. Seems like theres a break in the connection somewhere.

Its currently working with a 3' long piece of 16g wire to the back of the radio.
Hope this helps you. Please note : grounding points
Richard

sikwan
09-28-2007, 06:55 AM
I know for the T1N the antenna needs power. I had poor reception before I realized I didn't have 12V going to the antenna. Do you know if the antenna is being powered up with 12V?

Expert Marine
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Yup, I checked that too. Theres 12v on the wire up top, and it self grounds. If I disconnect the plug near the antenna and jump a wire there the reception doesn't change. Its not a grounding issue. A break in the center conductor or plug left un plugged like my foglight was.

rvdriverca
09-29-2007, 05:41 AM
expert marine, when you find the problem to this one please let me know. I have spend many hrs trying to solve it Thanks:drool:

Expert Marine
10-15-2007, 05:37 AM
expert marine, when you find the problem to this one please let me know. I have spend many hrs trying to solve it Thanks:drool:

Had time to tackle that today.
I tried to meter continuity from the antenna plug near the radio, and the plug in the overhead. I didnít get a reading there so Iím convinced itís a bad crimped on connector on the end of the cable in the overhead.

I had a cable left over with a matching plug so I ran a new cable from the overhead to the radio. Fortunately the cable mated up perfectly with the factory antenna.
Hereís where it got interesting. At the radio I striped the end and connected both conductors to the antenna plug I got better reception on FM. On AM it was not that good. I moved the shield from making contact and the reception got better everywhere!
A Ground Loop is interfering with reception!

I left the shield disconnected and it works fine now.
I hope this helps you.

stp57
01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, it's been a number of years since you posted this. Has your reception changed any? Why can't the signal be digitized like they do with television now? New t.v's pick up tons of channels with great clarity on nothing but rabbit ears now. Why can't that technology be used on am/ fm radio?
Steve

Had time to tackle that today.
I tried to meter continuity from the antenna plug near the radio, and the plug in the overhead. I didnít get a reading there so Iím convinced itís a bad crimped on connector on the end of the cable in the overhead.

I had a cable left over with a matching plug so I ran a new cable from the overhead to the radio. Fortunately the cable mated up perfectly with the factory antenna.
Hereís where it got interesting. At the radio I striped the end and connected both conductors to the antenna plug I got better reception on FM. On AM it was not that good. I moved the shield from making contact and the reception got better everywhere!
A Ground Loop is interfering with reception!

I left the shield disconnected and it works fine now.
I hope this helps you.

Aqua Puttana
01-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Why can't the signal be digitized like they do with television now?
Why can't that technology be used on am/ fm radio?
Steve
Steve,
Not to be a smart-ass, but AM is Amplitude Modulation and FM is Frequency Modulation. Digital is neither of those so it is not an option until the government decides they need the bandwidth in those frequencies and kicks us off.

Satellite radio is presently one digital option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio

The AM on my 2004 was poor with the OEM Sound 10 unit. My aftermarket radio is a bit better for AM, but still not great. So far it's not bad enough for me to mess with it though because I seldom use it after I discovered loading flash drives with music. vic

Oldfartt
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
The AM reception and frequency response on the Sound 20, I suspect, is no better either. I will be fitting a decent receiver for am reception. AM is still good for stable reception in remote areas. Satellite radio is also an option in some countries but not available in NZ and AU without very expensive mobile tracking dishes. As a side gain you get free TV!

Cheers

Ross

stp57
01-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks. I didn't know the difference between t.v signals & radio, but rats, I can hope, can't I?:doh:
Steve

Steve,
Not to be a smart-ass, but AM is Amplitude Modulation and FM is Frequency Modulation. Digital is neither of those so it is not an option until the government decides they need the bandwidth in those frequencies and kicks us off.

Satellite radio is presently one digital option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio

The AM on my 2004 was poor with the OEM Sound 10 unit. My aftermarket radio is a bit better for AM, but still not great. So far it's not bad enough for me to mess with it though because I seldom use it after I discovered loading flash drives with music. vic

stp57
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Does anyone here know anything about HD Radio? Supposedly, you can get 600+ radio channels, but I assume that you must have an internet connection?
This promo claims to digitize the analog signals on even AM radio:
http://www.hdradio.com/what-is-hd-radio
Steve

Aqua Puttana
01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Does anyone here know anything about HD Radio?
I know a bit about the basics of Sirius xm satellite radio.

Supposedly, you can get 600+ radio channels, but I assume that you must have an internet connection?
There are a bunch ton of channels available. I think you need internet access to easily manage your account, but I would imagine you could do that over the telephone help line? You don't need an internet connection to listen to the radio. That said, I think there is a way to access your account to listen using a computer. Typically you can get a small radio like device which plugs in to either your vehicle 12 volts or 120 volts at home. Many newer vehicle head units have satellite access built in. You also need a small antenna unit on the vehicle and one wherever else you choose to use a portable unit.

This promo claims to digitize the analog signals on even AM radio:
Steve
The AM and FM radio they beam to you is the anolog sound which has been digitized and then transmitted to your satellite radio receiver. CD's and DVD's are also analog signals converted to digital. You never receive any AM or FM transmissions on your satellite radio receiver. It is receiving digital information. Hope this does some good. vic

kkanuck
02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
My AM reception is bad and goes very static sounding when I am near power lines, anyone else get this scenario? No power lines, and it works as good as any other!:thinking:

Kubbie
02-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Does anyone here know anything about HD Radio? Supposedly, you can get 600+ radio channels, but I assume that you must have an internet connection?
Steve

Incorrect. No internet needed. It' just tunes it if it can pick it up, or not.

I have had an HD radio receiver in my home for about 3 years. I have it connected to my rooftop antenna where I get strong reception. The basic FM station is typically the HD1 station. Most stations have a secondary, even third channel. (Labelled HD-2, HD-3). My home is about 20 miles from downtown, where most of the stations are broadcast from (Aon, Hancock or Willis towers). I do enjoy the alternate commercial free programming at home.

I just put in a Sony HD receiver in my Sprinter, and depending on the station, I'd call it spotty. It's will drop under bridges, next to buildings, and tunnels for sure. When I'm closer to downtown, HD stays locked on strong. (Within 12 -15 miles).

But out by me, I'm finding myself staying away from HD, it's like listening to a CD thats skipping or hanging up.

I'm guessing I do have an antenna issue, as I almost get no AM now. We have a number of 50,000W am stations, and I can't seem to pull anything in. I'll have to pull out the tester and check.

cahaak
02-16-2012, 03:46 AM
I have the same issue with the AM - it is essentially unusable near power lines. FM works pretty good, does not have the range that I get on my other vehicles, AM is pretty bad all the time and terrible by power lines. I took off the dome light and checked the connections and the ground there and all good, antenna plugged in at the back of the radio (aftermarket Sony). Would love to have better reception.

Chris

Ro3bert
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
For those of you who don't remember the "Good old days" AM reception was and still is badly effected by hi-tension power lines.
:professor:
AC is a sine wave as is AM radio so any strong sine wave generating source is going to disrupt AM radio; there is no filtering system that will eliminate the problem.

BTW all static whether you are near a power line or not is the same. The sun or the Aurora Borealis or Australis (depending on where you live) or any other electromagnetic generating source, man made or otherwise, causes varying amounts of static on AM radios.
:2cents:

Robert