Sprinter Tools for DIY Mechanics.

detroitdevo

Helo All,

I have just ordered my new Sprinter 2500 Standard with the required "Michigan" options for cold weather. I own and operate a technology consulting firm for 11 years now and I am getting the Sprinter to outfit it as a mobile office/workshop. I have spent hours and hours on this forum educating myself with all things Sprinter and this forum really helped my choose the options in my custom order. Prior to finishing school and starting my own business I was a heavy equipment mechanic with Caterpillar here in the Midwest and I am no stranger to tearing down an machine to it's tracks and rebuilding it. So performing most of my own work goes unsaid.

So as a new Sprinter owner (when order arrives) I will be doing a great deal of the normal maintenance myself so I want to equip myself with the tools needed to get the job done. I have read all about the DAD and other scan tools here as well as seen many photos of the dash mounted LED read outs as well. So my question to all is what do I need to maintain my vehicle and to gather information when there is a failure. What tools will work with my new 2012 Van and any useful tips are appreciated. If you want to point me to other threads and I will read up that's fine as well. I don't want to clog the forum but after many hours of reading I just know enough to be dangerous, so now I am reaching out.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I really don’t think you should buy a bunch of tools that you might never use, but will have to store. The actual number of tools needed for maintenance is maybe a dozen? A set of anything just isn’t necessary if you’re only working on the Sprinter.

Scan tool: Skip this for now. DAD doesn’t work on anything after model year 2006 in the US.

Off the shelf, consumer grade scan tools at this time do not work well with US Sprinters After 2010; unless you have money to burn. In which case, you may order Mercedes-Benz Star Diagnosis System (MB SDS). The order form is attached (the bottom of this posting).

There may be some other scan tools that work with your 2012, but you’ll be on the cutting (bleeding edge) and will likely run into some limitations that may frustrate you. Keep researching as time and tool manufacturer efforts may bring something useful.

Mostly, just read the DIYs on this forum and ask specific questions about tools used. If you’re excited and can’t hold back, you’ll need these eventually:

Vinyl, latex or Nitrile gloves (the thicker the better)

Oil filter cap removal tool (search the NCV3 area for sources)

Transmission dipstick tool (search the NCV3 area for sources)

Floor jack & Jack stands appropriate to hold a 6000 vehicle on all four corners (NAPA auto parts carries high-quality tools)

½” impact driver to make to rotating tires easier; Bleeding the brakes also goes faster w/o wheels in the way. You’ll need a 19mm impact socket for this.

MityVac brake bleeder kit to flush brake system or something similar – look for venturi system brake bleed tools that use an air compressor

Air compressor to drive air tools

Torx bits, E-Sockets, Metric Allen (hex) drivers, metric 6 & 12 point sockets: You don’t a full set of these, but if you can borrow what you need, you can buy exactly what you need. Alternatively, you can just scope out your maintenance and go get the exact driver bits, sockets etc. I use a stubby 5mm and 8mm quarter-inch hex drivers from Snap-on occasionally; helps for tight spots, for instance getting to the fuel filter holding bracket fastener.

Wright Tools makes some very high-end products, cheaper than SnapOn and just as unlikely to strip a fastener. Sears also carries some mid-grade Torx bits and E-Sockets. Many members use tools from Harbor Freight (made in Taiwan) that work just fine for the DIY guy that doesn’t need to rely on them 5 days a week.

Quarter inch, three-eights inch and half-inch ratchets with short, mid-length and long extensions and u-joints for each. I’ve never needed a step-down or step-up adapter to fit a ¼” tool on a 3/8” ratchet or visa versa

½” torque wrench (I prefer the dial type, myself)

For the transmission fill, the dipstick tube is a very small lumen; it is easy to overwhelm with a full funnel. Putting a paper towel in a funnel suitable can throttle back the velocity of the fluid flow to a rate that won’t overwhelm the tube, helping avoid spilling fluid all over the place.

You might need a counter holder eventually for fan/accessory belt removal, but don’t buy one until you need it.

These are the tools I've used in the last 4 years of Sprinter ownership and DIY tasks, that would apply to 2010+ Sprinters.

-Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

detroitdevo

Thanks for the post, I should have clarified. I have nearly all those items with the exception to the Sprinter specific tools and the scanner. I didn't know there wasn't a good aftermarket "reasonable" scanner available for the Sprinter so that's goo d to know. I still have my two large rolling tool boxes and a small workshop but it's the Sprinter tools I was curious about. On our fleet of VW TDI's we have a suction machine to change our oil as the filter is top mounted and it's a lot cheaper than going to the dealer so it's things like this I am looking for. But I plan to be in this forum for a while so I will always be able to reach out. I wonder are there are a lot of Michigan Sprinter folks here. Now that I have ordered my van I don't see nearly as many as I thought I would.

Mrdi

If I were in Mich. and acquiring a new NCV3 I would certainly apply the best undercoating available. The Sprinters seem to have a propensity for oxidation.

detroitdevo

I didn't even think to look when I went for a test drive. All the VW's we have purchased over the past decade come with about 1/2" of sprayed on undercoating so I just assumed MB would have that as well. Yikes, I guess I better find a local dealer for that. Or perhaps RhinoLiner the bottom for our Michigan winters.. :smilewink:

If I were in Mich. and acquiring a new NCV3 I would certainly apply the best undercoating available. The Sprinters seem to have a propensity for oxidation.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Subscribe to www.sprintertekinfo.com and review the service information for Sprinters. This should get you started: http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14784

There aren't many special tools you'll need. The oil filter housing cap wrench/removal tool and the transmission dipstick tools are the only ones you're likely going to need.

Read this technical overview of 2010 Sprinters https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10150

It will largely apply to your 2012.

I put Line-X on the roof.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027

If you have as much salt as everyone on the west coast thinks you have on the winter roads, I'd put truck-bed liner on below the lower, black, long plastic fascia pieces and behind the splash guards.

The undercoating - not visible unless you're under the vehicle - is pretty thick. It wouldn't hurt to use some high-temp paint on the clamps that hold exhaust hardware on the vehicle. Even w/o salt, my 2007's clamps look more like rust than clamps.

-Jon

PS: Look here for some OM642 (the family of 3.0L diesel engines such as the one you're buying) special tools.

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7715

PPS: Here is a list of tools required to be present at the dealership. "906" is the current Sprinter in the US - we call them NCV3s - in the US that's 2007 to current.

Attachments

Last edited:

I have nearly all those items with the exception to the Sprinter specific tools and the scanner.

There is a tool thread for T1N's which may help you as many of the star fasteners, special hose clamps, etc. are common to both T1N's and NCV3's. Maybe you don't have some of them?

Don't worry too much about it though. You shouldn't need much for a brand new van for quite some time. Good luck, have fun. vic

Tools - Quality, Special, Dodge, MB, Mercedes, Hose Clamp
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10485

Sprinter SS

Hazet

I might suggest a quick browse through the Hazet tool catalog as well. Hazet manufactures all of the Mercedes Speciality tools and often times they are cheaper buying direct than going thru MB. For example they make a beautiful oil filter housing tool, slick glow plug extension remover and nice glow plug extractors.

I use their torque wrenches and sockets as I like them better than Snap ons.

Only bummer is sometimes it takes a while to get some things. I had to wait for 3 months to get one of the torque wrenches I wanted, but then again I had to wait 4 months to get the van I wanted as well!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
www.samstagsales.com is a vendor that stocks a very large number of tools for German engineered vehicles: Hazet, Klein, Stahlwille etc.

http://millerspecialtools.spx.com is the official vendor for Chrysler tools including the Dodge Sprinter (2007-2009) oil filter cap wrenches, transmission dipstick tools, counter-holddown tools for belt, fan etc removal and all that jazz.

-Jon

Last edited:

Düsseldorfer

Anyone want to go in with me on the Mercedes scan tool?

I figure if I find 199 other guys, it will be a pretty reasonable deal... :hmmm:

I figure if I find 199 other guys, it will be a pretty reasonable deal... :hmmm:
Personalities and other conflicts aside, cables long enough for everyone to have access may be a bit of a challenge to manage. :tongue: Great idea though. :thumbup: vic

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Sorry to toss a damp towel on the party, but....

I asked Mercedes-Benz Club of North America (www.mbca.org) to consider offering members the opportunity to rent/borrow a club-owned SDS unit.

.... and I got the sound of crickets for a response.

I'm left with the conclusion that it's not economically viable for anyone outside the dealership network to acquire Mercedes-Benz Star Diagnosis System.

Even if you made an LLC out of Sprinter-Source US/Canadian members, I think one would find it hard to get enough financial backing and participatory interest to justify the costs of getting the unit, much less insuring the unit for shipping around the continental US and Canada.

-Jon

Last edited:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
20-26k for the tool plus this:

6. The license fee payable by Licensee to MBUSA for the term of this Agreement shall be Two Hundred Thirty ($230.00) Dollars and there shall be an update and content fee of Seven Thousand Two Hundred Seventy ($7,270.00) Dollars,per year throughout the Term of this license, all of which shall be payable in advance for the entire Term upon execution of this Agreement...

I have an oil filter wrench I bought from Europarts fits my 07 Sprinter and 07 GL320cdi, bmw 328ic, guessing around $25 I use it a lot, no other special Sprinter tools. I do filters, fluids and brakes.

I would not be comfortable with a 28-34k tool and no training even with 199 other well meaning but unskilled owners helping me, so what does training cost?

I want a trusted, highly skilled mechanic using this tool everyday and his experience to troubleshoot and supervise what parts I need to purchase and replace.
If special skills or tools are required or I am just too busy or not comfortable, do the work himself in his workshop, a professional. Every vehicle owner faces the challenge of finding this valuable individual.

If there were a vagcom system where all you need is a cable and a laptop, sign me up.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
I would not be comfortable with a 28-34k tool and no training even with 199 other well meaning but unskilled owners helping me, so what does training cost?
Training is not explicity offered.... at least I can't find an official training course I can take for any fee.

Technical support for the tool is available, but I do not know if MB USA, LLC or Daimler Vans of North America, LLC employes people to sit on the phone and talk SDS owners through using the tool and/or diagnosing a vehicle, talk them through using www.sprintertekinfo.com, using an adjustable wrench instead of MB tool A906xxxxxxx.

One might make an argument that for that much money, they should fly someone out to do the whole thing for you, but we live in North America on planet Earth.

I was serious: this is not an economically reasonable venture.

-Jon

Last edited:

Top Bottom