axle ratios

travlnman

I own a 2006 118" Sprinter with 15" wheels and would like to install 16" wheels and larger tires. Will the current axle ratio work acceptably and will my fuel economy improve? I realize I must recalibrate the speedo.
Also, what can be done to maximize fuel economy?
Thanks.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
You will no doubt loose a little power to the rear wheels, no matter what axle ratio you have. Since it will take more fuel to make you move (result of loss of power to wheels) it may offset any benefit from larger wheels.

To increase you fuel economy? It works the same with any vehicle: speed restraint, slow down before needing to brake, rapid acceleration, good maintenance.

tab380

The Drain Doctor
I own a 2006 118" Sprinter with 15" wheels and would like to install 16" wheels and larger tires. Will the current axle ratio work acceptably and will my fuel economy improve? I realize I must recalibrate the speedo.
Also, what can be done to maximize fuel economy?
Thanks.
It must be a 3500 with dual wheels if it has 15" wheels. I don't think they make 16" dual wheel setup for the Sprinter.:idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Yes they do - for the 616CDI.
True on the 616 CDI all Aussie sprinters have 15 rims does not matter which one from the small one tonne SWB up to the extended cargo chassis models, the diff is different on the last model range 616 and some 414 CDi units but they had 15' as well. option for 15 or 16" low and high sprinter cab chassis units only
US sprinters stop at 4.3 Tonne for 2006 models back-wards. The last two photos are a high wheel base 16 inch unit six bolt pattern not a five bolt unit, the diff is different
Richard. PS adding comment
This is where the problems of the US sprinters lay with RV complaints wrong suspension no certified certificate of Compliance from MB via the RV companies that do the conversions, so Benz is Blamed for this.. every blog stateside still complains as to RV break downs , some just getting out of the lot and that dam turbo resontor does not like the vibrations either.

DSC00562 (Large).jpg

DSC00563 (Large).JPG

DSC00554 (Large).jpg

DSC00528 (Large) (2).jpg

DSC00523 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom