PDA

View Full Version : new sprinter - rough paint. dealer says they can fix

NevadaGSXR
11-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Just over 1000 miles on 2011 Sprinter this weekend. I paid for the Brilliant Silver metallic option. The paint was fine in all areas except for a several square foot area in the left rear of vehicle. I decided to wait until after the van had been washed 2 times before I applied any wax.

I was prepared to clay bar the whole vehicle, and then apply polish, wax, etc. However the front portion of my van didn't seem to have anything to pick up with the clay. Then I noticed how rough some of the left rear panel felt. Today I went to the dealer, they took it back to their prep and detail guys, and they managed to smooth out some of the rough area significantly. I did not watch them do any of this. The service advisor asked me if this would be sufficient for me if they could completely smooth out the remaining portion as they had already demonstrated. No problem. So I am to return at 8 AM tomorrow, and they say they need about 2 hours to finish the job.

I understand the Sprinter vans are only given 2 coats of clear coat on top of the color coat, as compared to a sedan, which gets 6 or 7 coats of clear coat. I think I should be concerned that their process may go through one of the clear coats. How do I know what to look for when they do their work. I intend to ask the service advisor to allow me to observe the work. Earlier today I asked the detail guy what he used, he said clay bar and some secret ingredient. Since I'm the one who owns the van, I really need to know exactly how they are fixing the paint.

Sprinter SS
11-30-2011, 03:03 AM
Is this a Mercedes dealer or a Freightliner?

autostaretx
11-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Kind'a makes you wonder if the vehicle suffered body damage between the factory and you.

I'd be tempted to ask demand that the dealer's full body shop "make it right".
Check your warranty manual... i don't know what they say about "quality" of paint job.. but there is a penetration warranty.

good luck
--dick

NevadaGSXR
11-30-2011, 03:30 AM
New Mercedes Sprinter purchased from a Mercedes dealer.

Service advisor actually asked me if I wanted it repainted. Yes, if that's what's necessary. Haven't really considered consulting my warranty manual. Penetration? No mars or anything of the sort are present. Can only speculate what happened after metal was painted, or even how much quality control at the paint shop in Germany.

kkanuck
11-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Factory paint is heated to 300 deg for drying making it a lot harder then any dealer paint job where 150 deg is average, so paint will be not as hard....so unless it is terrible, your probably best not painting IMO

NevadaGSXR
11-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Good info. Thanks

Douglas Hicks
11-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Have you thought to ask the best independant shop in your area? the roughness is an indication of a poor re-paint job.

Ace in the hole
11-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I am surprised that you got a clear coat. I don't think many do, I know mine doesn't. If I take a little polish to my new (less than 4 months old) red 2011 sprinter I will have red on the cloth when I start to buff it with a clean cloth. I added a clear coat to the rear doors and am thinking of doing it to my whole van.

NevadaGSXR
11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
WTF do I know. That's what the salesman spouted off. I would certainly expect some clear coat if they charge nearly $1000 for the brilliant silver paint.

Roswell
11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I'd keep a close eye on them and their mystery ingredient. We bought a black Yukon XL from a dealer, and it had severe water spotting on it. We bit off on the 'protection package' for the pain sealant and scotchguard because of all the kids. They swirled the crap out of the paint and it looked like hell. They tried to fix it, failed, and sent it to a proper body shop. Niether of them did a great job, but we needed the vehicle and gave up. I've since gotten a decent dual-action buffer, and am repairing the damage one pannel at a time. It's a shame that some weekend warrior (moi) with a good but consumer-grade buffer can fix what those 'professionals' screwed up. The real rub is that I have to get down through the polymer sealant they applied, and I paid out the wazzu for. Dad was right: if you want something done right...

gary 32
11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
New Mercedes Sprinter purchased from a Mercedes dealer.

Service advisor actually asked me if I wanted it repainted. Yes, if that's what's necessary. Haven't really considered consulting my warranty manual. Penetration? No mars or anything of the sort are present. Can only speculate what happened after metal was painted, or even how much quality control at the paint shop in Germany.

Give it back, ask them to provide you with Mercedes quality paint worthy of a 50k vehicle. They need to provide you with a free rental and call you when they are done fixing their problem.
When you go to pick it up make sure you are 100% satisfied with the result or let them own their problem instead of you.

Roswell
11-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I have to say, since the paint on these things is notoriously soft and thin, I'd personally jump at the chance for different paint. It's a shame they have a ceramic clearcoat on their cars, but don't seem to have that for sprinters.

Douglas Hicks
12-02-2011, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=Roswell;160648] We bit off on the 'protection package' for the paint sealant and scotchguard because of all the kids.QUOTE]

Ahh, the wonderful fabric sealer and paint sealer. Great profit builder. I bought the paint sealer for about $10.00 a quart and sold the sealer, applied, for $199.00. Left over sealer was returned to my parts department, and sold again. Detail man took less than 30 minutes to apply, profit >>$175.00. The upholstery treatment was just as good for the profits.

Roswell
12-02-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't like you.

Sent via Android using tapatalk

Roswell
12-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Where can I buy it? It actually works pretty well....

Douglas Hicks
12-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Where can I buy it? It actually works pretty well....

I do not know, some guy from Utah made a circuit in his motor home. This was at least 22 years ago. There are still similar treatments available.