Sources for roof vents & skylights

Zach Woods

Howdy Folks -

This thread is intended to contain links to sources for roof vents & skylights that could be used in Sprinters.

Zach

scotty

Dometic Heki Roof Ventilation

I seem to remember someone on here having a Dometic Heki hatch/vent/skylight that they used for accessing their roof rack...??

Anyone? Anyone?
Do you like it?
Can you drive with it cracked open?

Anybody know where i can get one of these on the west coast? and more importantly anyone in the Northwest who does a good install job... i am super nervous about the whole water issue what with cutting a huge whole in the roof since it rains for 8 months of the year! but man we need some ventilation back there! (and i wouldn't mind roof access either)...

Or any other larger hatch/vent/skylight that can be cracked open while it's raining?

Orrr... (in a whole different direction) does the fantastic vent rattle while you're driving (it seems like it would make noise to me)?

thanks guys!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Re: Dometic Heki Roof Ventilation

Orrr... (in a whole different direction) does the fantastic vent rattle while you're driving (it seems like it would make noise to me)?
Like Bill, mine does not rattle.

Where were you thinking of placing the fantastic vent or window vent? There might be some restrictions on where you can mount them on the roof.

I've driven on the freeway at 70mph with my Fantastic Vent open and had no problems. It was not intentional and I wouldn't recommend doing it.

On the window vs fan type vent, if you really want ventilation, the fan route is the only way to go. With just the vent open and fan stopped, the air in the van still sits there. With forced circulation, you won't have that problem.

While access to the roof is nice (if you have a big enough vent window), how much can you really access from an opening in the roof? I wouldn't squeeze through the window and walk on my roof either.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Re: Dometic Heki Roof Ventilation

I'm with Seek,

I also have the Fantastic Fan and am happy with it.
I have never heard it rattle (and I hate rattles, they drive me nuts)

The fan, and the thermostat in particular, really help cool things down.

I routinely park my sprinter in full sun, 110 degrees for 3 days straight.
When I come back the interior is never much hotter than the ambient air.

I do have to crack the front windows to allow air to enter. The forced air vents on the lower rear quarterpanels don't let in any/enough air to mach the fan.

I'm glad I also have the rainsensor. It won't prevent some rain from getting inside, but it will close the vent during a torrential downpour preventing a soaked interior.

Cheers
George

scotty

well... that all makes me lean towards the fantastic vent.

i am thinking of a rearward mounting; it gets stale back there... we are looking into roof racks... so we would be accessing the rack more so than the roof. we may just have to put one of the Dometics up front... i just love the amount of light they let in... good point about moving the air though...

can you hear the fan when it's running? ie: while your sleeping?

i only come up with 2: elkhart, indiana and chino, california...

sikwan

06 Tin Can
i am thinking of a rearward mounting; it gets stale back there
If you mount the fan (14"x14") any where other than the middle of the van, you might run into problems mounting it because of the roof ribs. It's not impossible, but it's something to think about. You'll see what I mean when you look up there.

can you hear the fan when it's running? ie: while your sleeping?
At the lowest setting I can still hear it, but it's not obtrusive. I've slept like baby with the fan on at setting 1.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I've slept like baby with the fan on at setting 1.
I can second that Me my wife and our dog have slept with the fan running on 1.

It's really more like white noise

Adohen Supply get's my vote. They have every custom option available and you get the brand new fan drop shipped from the factory...

Cheers
George

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
This thread might need to be updated as the links are dead. I am looking at Dometic's international website and they still have the acrylic windows and vents, but the North America version of the site is stripped of them (and stoves) so I am curious where Gulf Stream and Winnebago buy their supplies. Even eBay in the UK has tons of neat devices missing from US eBay, that FreshLight A/C and Roof Window device would be very cool if I could run a 230v devices on my Vista Cruiser.

Anyone know where I can get a Mini Heki vent for my bath or a Cramer glass lid covered stove to replace the rattly original? Where might I get the S4 window bug screen replaced...

-Randy

larryg

I also have the Fantastic Vent in my Sprinter and 1948 Airstream camper. USA made (may not matter to some folks on this board, but we're touchy about that stuff these days) and the tech/service after the sale is great. We had a violent wind storm come through and I had left the vent about a quarter open. The wind grabbed the vent and yanked it open bending the piece the dome slides on. I called the company to order replacement parts and they sent everything I needed and a few others just in case for free! He said just tell your friends about the service from Fantastic Vent so here I am doing that. :professor:

mydoghasfleas

I think they can order from Reimo - check the online Reimo catalog.

He just got a big shipment from Reimo - call him quick to see whats available.

I would love a few of those $eitz awning windows, and a SMEV 2 burner hob/sink combo w recessed cover.

I already have a Thetford C400 cassette toilet, a 12v compressor fridge...

Jonny
Stealth 05 158 camper/work truck

Top Bottom