PDA

View Full Version : Heavy haulers

bbirdxx2000
11-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone

I have a 2500 Model 148" W.B. Has anyone carried some real heavy freight. I turned down a 6' Long skid of steel that weighted 4,500 Lbs:thinking:. Is this to much weight to haul:idunno: Thanks

maxextz
11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
id say you would have been ok.
= 4,500 lb * 0.0005
= 2.25 tons
if had just over 3 ton on mine sitting over the axel and it was fine.if it looks like its sitting too low you will get noticed and maybe stopped by the police:rolleyes:.
if you could have loaded it on then had a look see then you could have judged it better.

talkinghorse43
11-30-2011, 03:28 AM
The brochure I got when I bought my van shows the max payload of a 140" wb 2500 low roof cargo van to be 4038 lbs. High roof is 3979 lbs. If you had a 3500, then the maxes would be 5170 & 5110 lbs respectively.

Douglas Hicks
11-30-2011, 06:39 AM
My 2005 158 Hi roof 2500 had 11660 GVW coming home from Portland this month. Handling was good, climbed Cabbage Hll OK and down Spring Creek Grade w/o any problems. MB says my GVW is 8990, means I was 2670 over weight.

talkinghorse43
11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
My 2005 158 Hi roof 2500 had 11660 GVW coming home from Portland this month. Handling was good, climbed Cabbage Hll OK and down Spring Creek Grade w/o any problems. MB says my GVW is 8990, means I was 2670 over weight.

You probably remember the early report on yahoo of the "Sea of Glass" '02 that lost a rear wheel at speed (lug bolts sheared) loaded to that level. Also, they later blew a rear tire and eventually had to replace the rear end.

mean_in_green
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
The only Sprinters in Europe which can legally carry over two tonnes are four, five or six series ones i.e. "duallies" to an American. Two and a quarter tonnes though...? My own four series can legally move just under 3,000kgs with a double axle trailer.

From what I've seen on here a NAFTA 2500 is equivalent to a UK model with a typical payload around 1,200kgs (cargo body). I may not have the exact correct detail on the NAFTA version but it does read as though you may have been running well over the safe design limit.

jdcaples
11-30-2011, 03:46 PM
<snip>

From what I've seen on here a NAFTA 2500 is equivalent to a UK model with a typical payload around 1,200kgs (cargo body).

<snip>.

1200 kilograms is about 2645 lbs, which includes shelving, seats, driver, fuel, spare tire, jacks, chains, coffee, spare coins, cooler, ice, blankets, batteries and everything else on the van, not just the pallet of tile you may consider "the payload."

OrioN
11-30-2011, 04:56 PM

Do you realize that you have over 4000lbs on each rear tire that I'm guessing is rated for 3000lbs (at best)? :wtf:

knighty
11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
if you're running heavy... make sure you have plenty of air in the tyres...

make sure they still look mostly round... if they have a flat spot on the bottom they'll be bending/moving/deforming too much as you drive and they'll heat up... and then you'll have a good chance of a blowout

you're better off going over the tyres rated pressure to keep it from deforming than letting it heat up :o

mean_in_green
12-01-2011, 06:45 AM
A common or garden NCV3 (if there is such a thing) has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3,500kgs and Gross Train Weight of between 5,500 and 6,300kgs. Actually you can special order a 3,500kgs GVW with either a 7,000 or 8,250kgs GTW but you would need a truck licence to drive it here (GTW = complete maximum weight of van with trailer and load remember).

Maybe the NAFTA ratings are slightly different but a 2500 looks to me a 3,500kgs GVW van at best, and is actually rated at 2,800kgs GVW in some parts of Europe. There just isn't a four wheeled Sprinter with a higher than 3,500kgs GVW capacity (except a SuSi).

As far as knowingly overloading goes: many might sheepishly admit to occassionally doing it by a smaller amount, but by these suggested much larger amounts is reckless to say the least. Neither's ok.

Extreme regular offenders probably don't pay attention to advice from know-it-alls such as Daimler-Chrysler though. Perhaps too busy dealing with running from the fall out the last crisis their moronic selfish attitude got them into.

larry8061
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I routinely haul 4,000 in mine (copy paper) and it isn't a big deal. I've had more than that in it without a hassle. As long as you didn't replace the tires with "underspeced" tires you'll be good to go.

Although someone did suggest that the time I had 3,500 in it and pulling a trailer was the cause of the Japanese tsunami and resultant nuclear reactor meltdowns so I would urge some caution!

It also depends how far you are going and what kind of roads you'll be on. A lot of twisty stop and go driving would be at least tiresome and add to the wear and tear.

Larry

maxextz
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I routinely haul 4,000 in mine (copy paper) and it isn't a big deal. I've had more than that in it without a hassle. As long as you didn't replace the tires with "underspeced" tires you'll be good to go.

Although someone did suggest that the time I had 3,500 in it and pulling a trailer was the cause of the Japanese tsunami and resultant nuclear reactor meltdowns so I would urge some caution!

It also depends how far you are going and what kind of roads you'll be on. A lot of twisty stop and go driving would be at least tiresome and add to the wear and tear.

Larry

it takes some common sense if your pushing it to the limit,slow and steady and give plenty of room for stopping,keep an good eye well ahead for any situations up ahead so you dont get any surprises.

ive seen some morons fully loaded and driving like idiots throwing the van around like cars:wtf:

Powerdeck1
12-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Consider looking into The Power Deck to optimize weight distribution for heavy loads.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18623

larry8061
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
One of the reasons I come on here is to find new things I hadn't thought of for the Sprinter and with this crowd that is at least a weekly happening.

Ok so we have a pretty much overt spam for the powerdeck......... we can piss and moan about the appropriatness of that but if you are going to spam the product why not at least offer why this is a good idea.

If a person is already concerned about GVW why would it be in his best interests to ADD more weight in the name of material handling capabilities? My take on it would be that if he is in a position to be offered skids of steel then he has contacts or experience hauling steel and so sliding skids on the floor is a known and factored in parameter.

And yes driving like an idiot with a near/over the limit load would not be the brightest idea anyone came up with recently! But again if is it pick up the load in Chicago and take it to Indianapolis and it isn't all sitting on the rear axle that is doable. Pick up the load in Chicago take it to Minneapolis via local roads ugh maybe not such a hot idea.

Larry

Powerdeck1
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your input, Larry.

The link connects you to our website ( www.thepowerdeck.com ) which offers a product that can help with heavy hauling- that is what this thread is about right?

Here is a short article on Load optimization in case you need a refresher: http://www.nefab.com/Load_Optimizing.aspx

After reading that, you may understand a little better how our product, The Power Deck, can help with optimization. In some cases, adding more weight is feasible if the load is distibuted properly in your vehicle!

larry8061
12-02-2011, 10:27 PM
That kind of b.s. might work to the fleet owners you apparently are selling to but, it doesn't help me one iota. I was at the Roberts Center for the Expiditors show and saw the material handling stuff of which at the very least yours was in the genre of if it wasn't actually there. Yes, I can follow links and I can read............ I'll ask again...... why would someone already at or above the GVW want to add your material handling equipment which is only giong to ADD to the GVW? Or was I correct n my initial impression and you are just spamming the list for your product?

That was that tough a question?

Larry