Loud Belt Squealing sound...

When turning on the AUX ( roof mounted) A/C unit on my 04 T1N, a LOUD squealing sound emits from the engine.

It screeches only if the engine is cold, but If I run the engine awhile before turning on A/C unit...it chirps once, and runs just fine.

I assume I need a new belt, or need to tighten the existing one.

What is this belt called?

Is there a better aftermarket one available?

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
When turning on the AUX ( roof mounted) A/C unit on my 04 T1N, a LOUD squealing sound emits from the engine.

It screeches only if the engine is cold, but If I run the engine awhile before turning on A/C unit...it chirps once, and runs just fine.

I assume I need a new belt, or need to tighten the existing one.

What is this belt called?

Is there a better aftermarket one available?

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Goodyear Gatorback is a good replacement for the OEM AC belt!

mendonsy

Do you have two AC pumps???
The secondary AC pump on ours is mounted below the primary pump and drives off its own separate V belt. If that's what you have it's a real simple adjustment.

cahaak

You need to either tighten the belt or you may need a new one. You need a 385 17 belt (38.5 inches long and 17 mm wide). You can use a 380 belt also, but it is tougher to get on. The 385 goes on nice. The belts can be found at anyplace that sells them. Brand does not really matter. I get mine at the local farm and fleet for $6.99 each. You change it from underneath the van, in the front. Access is quite easy and it takes at most 5 minutes for a tightening or change. This is kind of a wear item, and they seem like they need to be replace or at least retensioned frequently.

Chris

Top Bottom