rattle noise/feeling on road

surlyoldbill

Before I start jacking and taking front wheels off, is there a common source of a rattle noise and feel in the front? (yes, I searched the forums)
There isn't a height change, so I don't think it's the leaf spring thing. I suspect bad struts or control arms/bushings.
Small bumps fell make it rattle a bit, doesn't do it on smooth road or turns.

talkinghorse43

I feel that sometimes and have assumed it to be up/down (axial) play in the ball joints. But, since axial play doesn't constitute a reason to change them (3mm of radial play is) and tire wear is good, I've done nothing about it.

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Bill.
The brake calipers are mounted on pins so they can slide. the calipers expand with heat so they have to have clearance on the pins. this clearance is filled with grease to stop them rattling. They can feel tight when cold but be loose when hot Eric.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This is a long shot, but here goes:

I had a rattle/creaking noise on bumpy roads but not turns or on smooth pavement.

It turned out to be the receivers on the forward door jamb of sliding door frame.

The receivers are spring loaded. I pushed against the spring-loaded, captured plugs in the receiver, and sprayed a little aerosol lube in there.... it's been quiet for three years or so.

-Jon

yellowmike

I had a noise on the front of my 2003 but it sounded more like a thump than a rattle. I replaced the bushing on my control arm and the cured the noise.. Simple to do and not much $$$. Also check all of the heat shields as they have come loose on mine and caused a rattle...

surlyoldbill

Ross et al, I didn't find any sign of worn or broken anything, and couldn't shake anything with my hands. I replaced front brake pads/rotors about 50k ago, and they look fine. Probably the bushings, I'll order a bunch because it's probably time anyway.

Oldfartt

Hi Bill,

If the noise develops mostly after having driven on rough roads then it is most likely to be the calipers. It is more annoying than a problem. To replace the bushes, you can push them out by using a suitably sized socket and a hammer. To push the new ones in, use some of moms olive olive oil as a lubricant! or any vegetable oil. Do not use mineral oil. MB describes the product as "Assembly oil". The parts are cheap.
If you are replacing the sway bar anchor bushes, measure the diameter of the sway bar to ensure that you get the right ones.

Cheers

Ross

surlyoldbill

I may go whaling for some assembly oil, since Mercedes is one of the major companies that still uses whale oil for some applications. You just can't beat all natural organic materials.

Also, it "feels" too massive to be the calipers. I can feel it through the gas pedal as well as the floor. I suspect it's time to replace the struts. No, I'm not going into debt for Koni's.

F*getmeoutofVT

I was having the same issue after caliper replacement in 2013. The noise definitely was not there prior to service. Van drove great all the way to Alaska, which is a very rough road.
The first time I took it back and told the mechanic it might be the loose caliper bolts, he inspected it and said there was a rock stuck somewhere. Bullshit. Drove away but the rattle was still there although it was not nearly as loud.
Bushings?
Caliper bolts?
Anything else come of this?

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Even though yours is a NCV3 - I would go over and look at all the suggestions made above; plus tie rods, For T1Ns, strut cushions can also lead to noise - but I don't know about NCV3s. Ask in that sub-forum.

Top Bottom