PDA

View Full Version : That spot above the reading lights?

anomaly
09-23-2007, 02:17 AM
I'm confused. I thought that the only factory option that would fit in the space above the reading lights (in the console just above the rear view mirror) is the "front overhead storage bin."

Today while planning where to put the bluetooth unit in my van, I pulled the plastic faceplate off that area and found that
a) there's a plastic box in there
b) there's a wire bundle in the box with 4 wires and a 4 pin square connector at the end as well.

What would go in that space that might need wires? What might those wires connect to?

Since the factory option for handsfree is designed to fit below this spot (between the two reading lights) wouldn't the wiring for that be below the plastic box area?

If needed, I'll capture and post some photos of the box.

Altered Sprinter
09-23-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm confused. I thought that the only factory option that would fit in the space above the reading lights (in the console just above the rear view mirror) is the "front overhead storage bin."

Today while planning where to put the bluetooth unit in my van, I pulled the plastic faceplate off that area and found that
a) there's a plastic box in there
b) there's a wire bundle in the box with 4 wires and a 4 pin square connector at the end as well.

What would go in that space that might need wires? What might those wires connect to?

Since the factory option for handsfree is designed to fit below this spot (between the two reading lights) wouldn't the wiring for that be below the plastic box area?

If needed, I'll capture and post some photos of the box.
Please don't shoot the messenger:bow: This is what your US site says it's good for Official dodge site info
Put another coin in the Juke box baby, and rock and roll:smilewink:
(A) I don't know which of the two top consoles you have?
(B) Its for a digital tacograph here is the problem , activation for those wires to retrofit for something else in a simple mode check voltage and see if they are active OK
The down side is this is Euro specs
Inactive ID Code 0x1000 Active 0x1001..deactivate 0x300b
signals 550 0f
bit signals 444 of
1-byte signals 52 of
2- byte signals 41 of
multi byte 3 of
PWMS -10 of
How the signals are used is determined by programing of the individualized functions:thinking:
this section is pulse digital set Seek knows how to write the programs but heck it takes experience and time.
Richard

anomaly
09-23-2007, 03:03 AM
I've got "B" - I didn't realize that Volkswagen sold Sprinters, too! :)

IMNSHO The Dodge site sucks rocks for providing useful information to the consumer.

I had never heard of a "digital tachograph" (http://www.my-fis.co.uk/QuickGuides/digital_tachographs.htm) - makes sense and sounds like a good thing. Most OTR drivers are not technically savvy enough to hack the thing to let them cheat. I bet that someone will make a business model out of helping them hack them, though...(Of course, if I wanted to hack the system I'd do it between the vehicle computer and the tachograph, but I don't want sleepy drivers hauling heavy loads.)

So the computer sends signals to the digital tachograph to track the activity of the vehicle? The other ends of those wires are attached to the vehicle computer system?

I figured out how to pull the A pillar cover today, so routing a new wire there should be no big deal. Perhaps tomorrow I'll find the time to dig in - I didn't get the "cell phone wiring prep" option on my van, so I'm expecting the cavity where the mic goes to be empty, but the van continues to be full of surprises!

I'm guessing that I could mount an entertainment system in that area, too. Now that I'm sure where to route the wires, it should be no big deal! :)

Thanks for the information, Richard!

anomaly
09-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Hey - in that VW photo, what's that below and to the left of the shift lever? I think in the States we can only get a CD changer for that spot. (I've got my iPod resting there right now.)

Altered Sprinter
09-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Well there you go witch craft By Crafter met Sister Crafter and Brother Sprinter There are threads on the crafter in both the US and Aus section.
on another post I said you have the possiable combination of nav-sat and radios Radios Becker Eurovox and Sony the same as Sony Explode mine has the latter system but Sony stand alone Mercedes uses Sony systems 2002 not the later closed auto versions with remote from 2003 onwards. VW has two nav sat systems the main one on the top of the dash wide deep screen and a secondary one with a smaller screen that one may be at the bottom of the screen I'm not sure big price difference too. I think it's the same as the above unit though, CD changers also fit in the same slot. at the bottom of the dash.
As for hacking well thats why certain information is not available to the public. I use Tom-Tom but stand alone Blue tooth ph via the integrated rear visor systems
At the end of the day nothing from Mercedes is for nothing
3879 Richard

wmlog
03-12-2009, 01:22 AM
The devise in the overhead storage slot of the VW isn't a digital tach-o-graph. It is a programmable controller for the Espar diesel space heater in the van.

mean_in_green
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Hey - in that VW photo, what's that below and to the left of the shift lever?

That's the tacho.