Wheel alignment

Moto

OK guys I searched all the treads and couldn't find anything dedicated or explaining the need of wheel alignment of the Sprinter, I have a Westfalia 2005 but they are based on the 2004 chassis.

I just installed new tires and the shop that put them on recommended a wheel alignment with each tire replacement in order to meet the Michelin 60K warranty.

So the question is: Do I need it, is it a recommended maintenance on our vans and how often do you do it?

If I have to do the alignment do you think ANY shop could do it, or do I need a specialized Sprinter shop.

BTW I live in So. Cal and would appreciate recommendations on any good Sprinter shop (mechanic) in the area between LA and San Diego that could service the vehicle.

Cheers!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OK guys I searched all the treads and couldn't find anything dedicated or explaining the need of wheel alignment of the Sprinter, I have a Westfalia 2005 but they are based on the 2004 chassis.

I just installed new tires and the shop that put them on recommended a wheel alignment with each tire replacement in order to meet the Michelin 60K warranty.

So the question is: Do I need it, is it a recommended maintenance on our vans and how often do you do it?

If I have to do the alignment do you think ANY shop could do it, or do I need a specialized Sprinter shop.

BTW I live in So. Cal and would appreciate recommendations on any good Sprinter shop (mechanic) in the area between LA and San Diego that could service the vehicle.

Cheers!
Nothing is simple with Benz as to finding the correct camber adjustments which are aftermarket shims.
align.JPG
Richard

There are some special things about aligning a Sprinter which I recall Eric Experience highlighted. I think his input was related to a shop botching the job on a new tire install. (Sound familiar?) If you advance search using his name/posts you should uncover the comments.

Conventional advice is for an alignment with new tires. As a practical matter, unless your tire pattern on the old set of tires showed unusual wear I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you do decide to get it done my advice is don't just go to "Joe's Tire and Alignment Emporium". Go to someone familiar with Sprinters. Good luck. vic

Last edited:

Moto

Thank you guys, I would appreciate, as I said in my original post if someone knows a good place to service the Sprinter in SoCal. I do my own oil change and I could replace my ATF in the near future, but wheel alignment is something that should be done by a good reliable dealer (shop).

Oldfartt

One way to check if an company is competent is to ask them for the specs for your sprinter which should be programed into there alignment machine, and whether they have done any others. The shims can help where there has been a wear problem on the front tires. Ideally they should also check for the rear wheel alignment.

Cheers

Ross

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Ifd I'm not mistaken, wheel alignm,ent on a Sprinter depends upon the weight of the load. If you drive fully loaded, the specs change from being empty.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The T1N service manual does not mention "load" in the alignment section.
(but it also doesn't mention the camber shims).
WheelAlignment.gif

--dick

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The T1N service manual does not mention "load" in the alignment section.
(but it also doesn't mention the camber shims).
View attachment 38635

--dick
Your correct as the adjustments are done on a lift with no load shims and spacers are not OEM Mercedes, these are custombuilt to the exacting measurement of toe in, or out to compensate for non OEM specifications as there is little adjustment to play with on a Tin or NCV three days turn around for making and delivery of parts once specification's are produced.
Putting back secondhand tires. after front end alignment often has little value>>>>> the effort is worthless, as to off-set tire camber wear.
Richard
camberkit.jpg

Moto

I am glad I started the discussion, apparently there is some "gray" area or different interpretations which is always a good learning for all of us.

The shop I contacted for eventual alignment told me that normally the Sprinter doesn't need any additional parts for the alignment to be done unless something is very wrong.

I am still waiting to see what more I could find out from talking to other shops and dealers.

Cheers

Last edited:

Top Bottom