PDA

View Full Version : Sold the class A and bought a Sprinter !

dvoyer
11-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi, I'm kind of excited about my new project... a 2007 Sprinter RV conversion. I'm from Quebec, Canada. My English is far than perfect but this forum is a way to practice !

I sold my class A motorhome and I bought this 2007 170WB Sprinter already converted. The guy who did the conversion bought the van new and did the conversion using (recycling) an old travel trailer. He did a good job on insulation, everything is strong, but you have to like the 70's look (I don't !). Mechanically, the van is perfect. However I know the previous owner didn't use the right oil, he was using Mobil One 0w40 synthetic but not the 229.51 ESP one. I've put 5w40 ESP Formula M in it.

My goal is to start from there, using it and restoring the interior. It's already in progress... I will post pictures soon.

My first question: is there a way to know exactly all options the van has from factory? I'm trying to figure if I have an EXT or not. Sometime I think yes when I see some pictures, but when I measure it I find a bit more than 23' overall. The van came with four keyfob then I though I must have the "contractor option" with larger alternator, but no, I have the 180amp model. I have an auxiliary battery, but I don't know if it's an original setup. I bought the van from a RV dealer then I never talked to the previous owner. I'm a bit confused as you can see !

I've read a lot on this forum in the last month and I've learned a lot too ! You guys are very nice and you already helped me a lot !!! Thank you.

Regards,
Dominic

autostaretx
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
You can have any dealer fetch the "datacard" based upon your VIN. It lists all of the options which went in to (or were excluded from) your vehicle.

Or, you can spend $12 and subscribe to Mercedes' StarTekInfo service ... which gives you LOTS of access to that plus much service information.
www.startekinfo.com

If you search the forum for "datacard" and/or "tekinfo" (especially postings by Jon Caples), you'll see example datacards.

--dick

brassarl
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
You can have any dealer fetch the "datacard" based upon your VIN. It lists all of the options which went in to (or were excluded from) your vehicle.

Or, you can spend $12 and subscribe to Mercedes' StarTekInfo service ... which gives you LOTS of access to that plus much service information.
www.startekinfo.com

--dick

Thanks Dick! I guess the rates have changed, if I read this chart correctly it is $18 for one day subscription?

Dominic, welcome!! If you learn to use the "search" feature in this forum you will find some excellent postings with invaluable information.
Cheers, Lou

autostaretx
11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I just saw that price list, too.
Back in 2010, Jon posted:
You can get it from epc.startekinfo.com as well as www.sprintertekinfo.com.

EPC has data card info for Sprinters.... if you want Sprinter parts, you have to subscribe to the "world passenger car and light truck" version of EPC. That subscription costs a whopping $12.00 for a year.

I really wish more Sprinter-Source users would subscribe to EPC, post part numbers and data cards for people.

So visit http://EPC.startekinfo.com for the far cheaper "subset" subscription for access to the Electronic Parts Catalogs and VIN data.

Added: here's their (still $12) price page: http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/coverage.jsp

More Added: the $12 is for the USA... you're in Canada.. .perhaps it's free for you? Ask Mercedes.

I was aware of the full-blown subscription (also useful if you're planning a major "operation"... subscribe for a day and download all of the procedures and exploded diagrams), but there is a (far) "lesser" category, too.

--dick
p.s. here's Jon's description of the two services: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75317&postcount=20

dvoyer
11-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys, I just tried both EPC.startekinfo.com and www.sprintertekinfo.com. I'm willing to pay 12$ or 18$ to have the datacard but it seems that it's only for US customers. When I try to pay I can't choose Canada as country. I will continue to search and I will call MB if I don't find.

Thanks again,
Dominic

autostaretx
11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
A friendly dealer should be willing to provide the datacard info for free (it doesn't cost them anything but time and a couple of sheets of paper)
(and a friendly dealer would therefore be a nice place to get service, if needed)

--dick

SprinterCH
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi, I'm kind of excited about my new project... a 2007 Sprinter RV conversion. I'm from Quebec, Canada. My English is far than perfect but this forum is a way to practice !

I sold my class A motorhome and I bought this 2007 170WB Sprinter already converted. The guy who did the conversion bought the van new and did the conversion using (recycling) an old travel trailer. He did a good job on insulation, everything is strong, but you have to like the 70's look (I don't !). Mechanically, the van is perfect. However I know the previous owner didn't use the right oil, he was using Mobil One 0w40 synthetic but not the 229.51 ESP one. I've put 5w40 ESP Formula M in it.

My goal is to start from there, using it and restoring the interior. It's already in progress... I will post pictures soon.

My first question: is there a way to know exactly all options the van has from factory? I'm trying to figure if I have an EXT or not. Sometime I think yes when I see some pictures, but when I measure it I find a bit more than 23' overall. The van came with four keyfob then I though I must have the "contractor option" with larger alternator, but no, I have the 180amp model. I have an auxiliary battery, but I don't know if it's an original setup. I bought the van from a RV dealer then I never talked to the previous owner. I'm a bit confused as you can see !

I've read a lot on this forum in the last month and I've learned a lot too ! You guys are very nice and you already helped me a lot !!! Thank you.

Regards,
Dominic

I am doing exactly the same ! picking up a converted Sprinter in England this week ;-)))

Old Crows
11-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Bonne chance!

dvoyer
01-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi guys,
Old Crows, it seems that I need a lot of chance in order to obtain the data card in Canada !!!
Dealers here don't want to give me that info. A guy said that he could answer my questions but he can't print or fax me all the option codes. He told me that I have the optional 4.10 differential ratio and both front and rear HD sway bars. That's the beginning !

I'm willing to pay for that service but I really don't know now how to proceed. A friend of mine knows somebody at another Dodge dealer, he will try for me tomorrow... we will see !

SprinterCH... how does it turn for you with your "new" Sprinter ??? I'm back from my first "long" trip with the family in the Sprinter: three weeks, 4k miles. We really enjoyed our new camper. That's perfect for traveling and short stays and we rent a house for longer stays.

Dominic

dvoyer
01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
I got it !

RSchleder
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I also sold my class A (38' Allegro Bus) last Tuesday and drove my new Winnebago ERA Sprinter van home from the dealership on Wednesday. The Sprinter drove like a dream the 200 miles home in very cold weather here in Iowa. I'm very pleased with the way it ran, the ride, the low level of noise, and the heater worked like a charm. Can't wait until we get to take an extended trip.

viewmaster
01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
That makes 3
I traded in my 40 Mandalay on a new Sprinter based Winnbago View.
Picked it up Thursday.

dvoyer
01-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Glad to see that I'm not alone !

I'm just back from a family trip this weekend with the Sprinter. Ice skating with the kids and we visited family. We drove about 400 km (250 miles).

Saturday night it was -27 Celcius (-17 Fahrenheit) and we slept 4 in the van. My Espar D2 passed the test but if I would have to do it again I would use a D4 instead. It was warm inside, about 24 celcius (75F), until 4 AM when I saw 16 C (61 F) on the thermometer. The van was hooked to a 20 Amp outlet then I just plugged an electric heater I always carry and the inside temperature rose quickly. The children enjoyed their night and daddy enjoyed mother-in-law's breakfast !

We are very happy with our decision to downsize. We use the Sprinter a lot more than the class A RV.

Regards,
Dominic

kendall69
01-23-2012, 03:29 AM
I learned my lesson on Class A's. I bought a class a at a bargain and that was a HUGE mistake. Emphasis on HUGE. Class A was too limiting for me. I know other love them but not me.

That thing was just too huge, I hated from the first week till I dumped it. I already had the Sprinter, si I was always comparing the two and there was no comparison.

Currently looking for a Class B Sprinter because of it's versatility. It can be used as a daily driver if needed, a week end trip vehicle and a read trip vacation vehicle.

RSchleder
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Seems we think a lot alike. Sold my 38' Allegro Bus last week and already ave a 2012 Winnebago ERA Sprinter in my building. Can't wait until we "get out of town" in a few weeks to see our son in Seattle. The Sprinter sure drives, rides, and handles like a dream. Good luck with you project!:thumbup: