Tyre Size

GuyC

GuyC
I have a 2005 313 4x4 LWB which has 225/70 R15 tyres. As part of the conversion to a camper van and I would like to change the tyres. I have bought some 16" alloy wheels. They have a load rating of 1400kg (3090 lb) so will be fine on a Sprinter.

In terms of tyres I would like to fit some BF Goodrich AT's. On their website they had 225/70 R16's listed with a load rating of 115 which is 1215kg (2680lb) and higher than the 112's fitted as standard. Unfortunately this is an error on the BFG site and the load rating of this tyre is 102 which is too low.

They do have 225/75 R16's with a load rating of 112, the same as the standard fit.

These tyres have a diameter that is 7% greater than the standard fit. This equates to 48mm (2") extra in diameter.

I have two questions:

Will they foul the bodywork?
Will it make the gearing too high?

I'm not keen on buying tyres to find out they are too big so if anyone can provide any advice I'd be very grateful.

Regards and thank you in advance.

Guy

paultheoak

Hi i too have had the same dilema....I fitted 245/75 16 bf at`s and had to carve away the front bumper AND back of front wheel arch and do away with mudflaps . This works but these ara 77mm! bigger and speedo very slow!
Iam going to go down to 225/75 16 at`s now for the load rating issue we cant go any smaller.
Just worried about getting pulled by vosa. But I had a transit 4x4 county before with bf ats that were only 104 rated and never had the probs of weight at all and were o.k at mot time.
Cheers Paul I dont know if the speedo can be recalibrated?

surlyoldbill

another thread suggested that 215/85/16 corrected the speedo error. I think they're a little narrower, too, which would give them better traction.

motobueno

I mounted 245/75-16 Toyo MT's on my 4x4.Had to remove the mud flaps and hammer down :bash:the rear lower edge then re mount the flaps.No issues after that.The MT's are about 1" taller than stock and my spedo is right on now, but the odometer is now off by about 5% Mt's are a heavy tire,But they are just about bullet proof.I'm about ready to mount a new set.Got a good 50k out of the first set and am quite pleased with the performance.

Attachments

Top Bottom