Can anyone recommend a decent back up camera that won't break the bank?

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I am interested in finding a back up camera for my sprinter because I do not have any rear view windows. I was wondering if someone could recommend one that isn't going to be crazy expensive? I've also seen that some are wireless and some are wired.....I'm sure the wireless is easier to install but was wondering how reliable they are? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

glas1700

I bought a system almost identical to this one (ebay #260665073989) a few years ago when the price was somewhat higher. It has worked very well and I can actually tell the color of cars as they pass by at night. There are also some decent wireless systems available, but they all seem to suffer from occasional interference.

Byron
07 Navion

Attachments

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Look for a Peak 7" wireless backup camera on Ebay. They don't seem to be available in retail stores any longer but do come up on Ebay. I have them on my 06 Sprinter motorhome and on my 06 140. They go for between $80 and $150 and have a clear color screen, but are occasionally bothered by interference in urban areas. On my 140 I wired the transmitter into the license plate lights, which are on the run curcuit, and allow the camera to operate whenever the engine runs.

Gary

JAM

Wireless and very easy installation.

View attachment 38199

Sorry, couldn't resist. vic
:laughing: thats great. I was thinking of doing a camera also. I found some pretty good deals on this site http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i249_rearview-backup-cameras.html
Make sure you get one with night vision. I was thinking of ordering this kit but dont think it will work on the license plate cause it sits off to the side http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38210_Absolute-CAMPACK900.html not a bad price tho.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
On my Peak 7" camera I cut the license plate tabs off and mounted the camera on its own bracket next to the center high mount stop light above the doors. I used a piece of angle aluminum bonded to the roof with 3M tape and ran the power wire up from the license plate connection inside the door jam (its on the run curcuit) and out through the upper stop light. This high mount allows me to see over a small cargo trailer and just a few feet behind the vehicle.

Gary

On my Peak 7" camera I cut the license plate tabs off and mounted the camera on its own bracket next to the center high mount stop light above the doors. I used a piece of angle aluminum bonded to the roof with 3M tape and ran the power wire up from the license plate connection inside the door jam (its on the run curcuit) and out through the upper stop light. This high mount allows me to see over a small cargo trailer and just a few feet behind the vehicle.

Gary
What size, length and height of trailer?

Oldfartt

Wireless units in vans suffer from interference from computer wifi networks and household video senders, as the frequencies used are in the same 2.4gHz spectrum. Much better and more reliable to use a fully wired unit.

Cheers

Ross

stp57

Hey Gary,
Have you ever used the A/V feature on your Peak monitor? When I try to hook up my dvd player the monitor keeps switching back to the camera (video 1) & will not set on another source?
I can't find the Peak Safety View website for info.
Steve

Look for a Peak 7" wireless backup camera on Ebay. They don't seem to be available in retail stores any longer but do come up on Ebay. I have them on my 06 Sprinter motorhome and on my 06 140. They go for between $80 and $150 and have a clear color screen, but are occasionally bothered by interference in urban areas. On my 140 I wired the transmitter into the license plate lights, which are on the run curcuit, and allow the camera to operate whenever the engine runs.

Gary

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Steve,

I never have used the A/V feature on the monitor. Sorry I can't help there.

Douglas,

Somehow I missed your question regarding trailer size. The box on my trailer is
4' high, 8' long and 5' wide. I have yet to tow it with my 06 140, but have towed it to Mexico twice with the motorhome. The camera sits a couple feet higher on the motorhome so on the van rear vision behind the trailer would be more limited. I think it will still be a very valuable reversing aid with the trailer on the van though. Without the trailer I find it useful backing out of parking lots or into tight spaces and use it every time I drive.

Gary

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
At the risk of being laughed at, why can't I use one of the cameras designed for a computer? Saw some at Best Buy by Microsoft that said they were auto focusing. Mount it inside the rear window and plug it into a dash mounted tablet.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
At the risk of being laughed at, why can't I use one of the cameras designed for a computer? Saw some at Best Buy by Microsoft that said they were auto focusing. Mount it inside the rear window and plug it into a dash mounted tablet.
No laughing here, but I wouldn't do it because of the hassle of always plugging and unplugging the tablet every time I parked the van somewhere. Or maybe you do that anyway, like a gps. Or maybe you leave a tablet already semi-permanently mounted to your dash. In that case, try it and let us know how it goes! :thumbup:

detroitdevo

How would the camera know when the vehicle is in reverse gear? Or does it just stay on all the time? I ask because my new Sprinter will be here by end of Feb and I am curious as to the hookup. I have discussed a double din head unit with camera connection built in but either way I have to decide how to connect to the Sprinter reverse..

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
How would the camera know when the vehicle is in reverse gear? Or does it just stay on all the time? I ask because my new Sprinter will be here by end of Feb and I am curious as to the hookup. I have discussed a double din head unit with camera connection built in but either way I have to decide how to connect to the Sprinter reverse..
One way...
There is a harness that runs along the roof, down the driver-side B-Pillar, under the floor mat and into the driver seat-base (and beyond?) which contains the Reverse light wire. I can't remember which wire colour code, but you can figure it out by removing the rear light cover and seeing which one attaches to the light. Tap into this wire with a relay. (Avoid tapping into the wire with a long lead to the camera input, as this may freak out the van's ECU.)

flman

Changed my mind and went with this one, or should I say the vendor did when they asked me to call them.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/rvs-7...systems-clip-on-rear-view-mirror-monitor.html

Nice heavy unit, not as cheap and plasticity as I was anticipating? I will get it all connected and run the wires to the rear and try some test locations for the cam before I penetrate near its final location. I do not intend to use the back up light connection as I would be using the side mirrors 90% of the time and the cam in a pinch.

Chandlerazman

Changed my mind and went with this one, or should I say the vendor did when they asked me to call them.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/rvs-7...systems-clip-on-rear-view-mirror-monitor.html

Nice heavy unit, not as cheap and plasticity as I was anticipating? I will get it all connected and run the wires to the rear and try some test locations for the cam before I penetrate near its final location. I do not intend to use the back up light connection as I would be using the side mirrors 90% of the time and the cam in a pinch.

Aside from the monitor, it is the same unit I have. It has been trouble free for the last two years. The sun shade on the camera started to rust once the sun burned off the paint. Goes to show the durability of the camera in the 120º heat. You'll be happy with it :thumbup:

Top Bottom