2002 Turbo Actuator

brentlehr

Howdy,

I've had some issues with my (new to me) 2002 puffing black smoke and some power loss. The EGR valve sticks open and I'm in the process ordering a new one.

Today I inspected the turbo and noticed the actuator is not moving with increased RPMs. I plan on cleaning and lubing the linkage and replace the vacuum line but wanted to know if I can replace just the actuator? It looks like it's just held on with 2 bolts. Anything else that would keep the actuator from working?

Thanks,
Brent

tegnamo

I am under the impression that the turbo actuator (attached to the turbo itself) will not do its job if the EGR is not working correctly. When I left my EGR unplugged by accident, the vacuum solenoid (behind passenger headlight) was not being instructed to supply vacuum to the turbo actuator, hence no boost at any RPM. I was able to manually plug the vacuum line air filter (up behind the a/c blower) and force the solenoid to supply vacuum, and hence, boost, but that only served to verify that the turbo actuator was actually functioning. You can also just push on the turbo actuator linkage to see if boost is supplied.

Top Bottom