one sided roof rack

I'm thinking of building some sort of small rack to mount a awning to but also use it for hauling 1 or 2" angle and round stock in 20foot pieces. What I'm thinking is some kind of clamp with a bracket that attaches to the roof gutters. I don't have any drawings yet and mostly thinking out loud and looking for thoughts. Has anyone ever done this?:idunno:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Is this rack mounting to both sides of roof gutters? By the subject title it doesn't sound like it.

Can't you find something aftermarket?

the rack or just brackets really, would clamp onto the gutter on the passenger side maybe four of them which would be U shaped to hold the angle iron. Maybe I should make a drawing tomorrow

d_bertko

I think of the sidewalls as much more supportive than the roof. I think I'd want to span the roof and use both gutters even if you intend to load and unload your stock from the side.

Most commercial awnings attach to the roof curvature in order to get a rain seal.

I was the lucky recipient of a free Thule awning and made an L-bracket adapter out of 3x4 aluminum stock in order to attach it to the side of my existing walk-on roof rack. Works well enough in all but the worst rain but I'll have to sew up a short top skirt in order to help screen the awning against bugs.

We had previously used a home sewn $50 knock-down awning that used four emt pipe sections and a surplus tent ground sheet. It was lightweight and strong enough for its intended purpose to bridge between the van and a quickshelter. Worked well to give us a big screened porch.

The new Thule awning gets more use as a quick sunshade but the quickshelter is much roomier.

Mrdi

You need at least 2 points of attachment. The gutter and the roof track would suffice. Just the gutter as support is not sufficient.

Top Bottom