Off with its head!

Thunderbolt

Following on frfom my previous thread https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17457
I'm taking off the head, to see if the gasket is gone and that is what is pressurising the cooling system.
I don't have alot of time, with work, family etc. Got an hour on it tonight.
Good news is I have one injector out, the others will come out.
I have managed to borrow a puller, it's an S shape with a fork to fit under the injector and a bolt to lever on the other end.

Thunderbolt

Well cranking it didn't work.
Nor did coke, rost off ice, plus gas, freeze spray, MAP blowtorch
I even bust two pullers:bash::bash::bash:

So it's engine out time

Thunderbolt

You can't put it on a dyno first?
Sorry mate I don't understand what you are saying there. We don't have a dyno locally.

Anyway the engine is now out and will be off to see the man with a 20 ton extractor as soon as I can get the time off work and borrow another van to get it there.

Thunderbolt

I see what you mean but, there isn't a local dyno that I could have got the van to.
The system was pressurising and blowing out of the rad cap. It wasn't getting hot and no leaks anywhere else. No coolant in the oil. Tried a new rad cap. Pressure tested everything. tried a new thermostat & serpentine dive belt. Pump is fine. Just wish I could shift these injectors.

Thunderbolt

Well the engine went to the man with the 20 ton extractor.

In the red corner, the engine, with one loose injector but unwilling to give up the other three.

In the blue corner a custom made 20 ton force hydraulic extractor.

Round 1 - Using a mercedes C shape puller, injector number two came out, but we have to give the first round to the engine as numbers 1 and 4 were still stuck fast.:yell:

Round 2 - Taking the tops off the injectors removing the insides and screwing in a puller to link to the extractor, number 4 gives up, but number 1 stays stuck fast.:popcorn:

Round 3 - MAP gas supplying direct heat and we have a winner:cheers:

All four injectors are out.:clapping::cheers:

Thunderbolt

Head is off.

Head is now with the cylinder head man who is going to pressure test it.:clapping:

Bores look really good, honing marks are still there.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Fingers crossed for your pressure test outcome. Head porosity typically manifests itself around the injector seat recess. Replacement only cure.

Thunderbolt

Fingers crossed for your pressure test outcome. Head porosity typically manifests itself around the injector seat recess. Replacement only cure.
Thanks, what do I need to look for?

I've got more that my fingers crossed, if it is cracked/porous I'm going to try and weld it as it's a scrapper anyway.

I have a mate (jeff) with a TIG welder and a milling machine.

Thunderbolt

Head pressure tested OK.
Skimmed and rebuilt.
The build up will start tomorrow.

The thing that is bothering me is we didn't find any blowby on the head gasket or leakage paths anywhere.:hmmm::thinking:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
So far so good with the head then. Am assuming no sign anywhere on/around the block of escaped coolant, keep us posted - hope you find it.

correllbil

2002 Freightliner 3500
I was told by a very good Sprinter service man to use the Bug and Tar Remover that you can get at auto supply stores. Spray the injectors and let it set overnight. They should come out a lot eaisier. Be sure to use never seize upon reinstall!

Thunderbolt

Thanks for your support guys.

Injector bolt down holes are thick with crud, so I spent nearly all day trying to clean them out, I got three clean, but one hits a solid lump about 1/4" from bottom.
My m6 x 1.0 tap isn't that long and a cut along the thread old bolt used as a chaser isn't man enough.
So I am on a quest for a longer tap.
I shall ask around for one but tonights bodge was to weld a tap to an m6 bolt, that should give the length but I am going to be very careful with it.

The only place coolant ever escaped was out of the rad cap, which is why i have gone down the pressurising route.
The cylinders still have honing marks on them, so I Can't see it being a cracked block.

Hopefully, I'll get a day off this week as only being able to do saturdays makes for slow progress.

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Sorry guys should have kept you posted. A bad back and a few domestics have meant not much free time.

Head was cleaned up, the problem with the injector hold down bolt hole was a helicoil tang:bash: that hadn't been broken off by who ever helicoiled it:idunno:

So i whacked the head on.

Next problem was a cracked injector body, AFTER, I had the injectors overhauled:cry:

Then a short wait for a new camshaft cover.

Engine is now back in.

Next weekend is one of my boys birthday so, I doubt I'll get much done on saturday.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
What did the water jacket and/or coolant paths look like? Since you didn't find a path for the leak in the head or gasket, it could be that the coolant has eaten a tiny hole through one of the cylinder liners.

It would happen from the outside, so the bore would still look perfect. Apparently improper coolant can cause it due to micro cavitation against the liner. I'm not sure how to test for it though.

Thunderbolt

What did the water jacket and/or coolant paths look like? Since you didn't find a path for the leak in the head or gasket, it could be that the coolant has eaten a tiny hole through one of the cylinder liners.

It would happen from the outside, so the bore would still look perfect. Apparently improper coolant can cause it due to micro cavitation against the liner. I'm not sure how to test for it though.
thanks for your thoughts,
Water jacket was clean, not perfect but clean.
It's always had proper coolant, till this happened anyway.
I really don't like the thought of a pinhole in a liner.

I need to get it going now and see where we are.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Top Bottom