PDA

View Full Version : RIP Steve Jobs

israndy
10-06-2011, 01:09 AM
I know, he doesn't drive a Sprinter, but I use SO MUCH of his stuff in mine that I find it really sad that he is gone and won't be designing this stuff anymore.

My iPhone is in a cradle above the radio running Pandora and TomTom as I drive.

My iPad is in the side pocket ready at a traffic stop or dinner to entertain me and let me surf the web (I do tether from my iPhone so it's good it's in a powered cradle)

My old iPhone is loaded up with movies and hooked via video cable to the RV's TV so if I can't get reception I at least have something to watch, DVDs or BlueRay?, that's a bag of hurt!

I don't always bring my 17" MacBook and after the release of iCloud next week I will have less reason to bring it on vacation as I will be able to empty my camera's into my computer while it sits at home all safe and sound, and I will be able to listen to my iTune's purchases that are stored on my computer streaming to my iPhone and iPad.

When I get home from a trip my photos will already be on my AppleTV for me to see in a slide show, but even better is the in-laws AppleTV will be updating as I cross the country showing all the photos I take and letting them travel with their daughter and me vicariously.

So, Goodbye Steve Jobs, you never got to see your company build an actual mothership and the city you live in kept you from ever rebuilding your home until it had completely fallen apart, but you changed the lives of millions of us for the better and all it took from us was all our spare cash that we were oh so happy to give over to you. Thanks for the great stock ride, I hope it's not over and the company you built can continue to succeed without you.

Written with a few tears,

-Randy

wildimaginations
10-06-2011, 03:03 AM
It's a sad day for me too. I've always had an Apple ever since the internet got started. Thanks for making a computer easy enough regular folks like us to use. You are the best, Steve. RIP.

Road Jager
10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Here, Here Randy! Well stated I could not have put it better. He will be missed. Now let's see if the 'youngsters' can step-up and carry the ball.
Road Jager

LoveToSprint
11-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes indeed, Rest In Peace Steve Jobs...and thank you for your technology.

punter
11-28-2011, 06:31 PM

When he was marketing the Next cube, he came by the DC Unix Users Group to do a demo.

I did not adequately appreciate his existence at that point but now wish I had at least made an attempt to speak to him.

The ephemerality of everything is galling.

pgr
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I just finished his bio.

Love him or hate him (I loved him) he did more to change the computing experience for the "regular people" more than anyone else ever could have done.

He was a lot of things, some bad, mostly good, but certainly a visionary who knew how to get things done and the world is a better place today because of him.

pgr

tadeo1
11-29-2011, 02:22 AM
I am a PC man, never understanding apple systems, I see all these people with their $600 plus
Ipads, Ipods etc. I travel with a netbook that can do everything and more than an Ipad, it
is a computer not a toy for easy play, music? I installed a radio in my 2008 Sprinter that has
a 4" screen and plays all music and video formats, I can put thousands of songs in MP3 in an
SD card and play them while I drive, can someone explain why I need an Ipod? There must be
something I am missing, please tell me. Thanks

israndy
11-29-2011, 03:25 AM
I am a PC man, never understanding apple systems, can someone explain why I need an Ipod? Thanks

Yeah, no. That won't happen. People who talk like you have their walls already built up. You can no more show the advantages of an Apple to a die hard than you can explain the overwhelming election of Obama to a die hard Fox News viewer. They are in their own bubble.

There are open minded individuals who explore the world thru something akin to the scientific method and then there are the rest of us who like Coke over Pepsi, Beta over VHS, Sprinters over normal cars, skiing over snow boarding. I think you get the idea. We do what we do due to brand loyalty that was set up once upon a time, we received some benefit and made our decision. Since then we have only heard the items that reinforce our loyalty, our prejudice. The longer you wait before you pick, the more advantages your decision may give you, but everyone makes decisions about what they like and sticks with them, even when they are no longer good for us.

So let's nip this internet squabbling in the bud and go back to talking about the thing we all agree on, Sprinters are cool...

-Randy

nugget
11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Steve Jobs was a very gifted man and demanding. "The harder you work the luckier you get" is very applicable to Mr Jobs.

I would like to take advantage to his creations when I buy my new sprinter sometime this next year. I'm not a media wizard and would like some advice from those of you that know the computer industry. What do I ask for when ordering the van? Do I just order it with a simple radio? What options do I have with a ipad or pc for docking and how complicated is the installation? All advice is welcomed!

danski0224
11-29-2011, 12:34 PM
I am a PC man, never understanding apple systems

In my opinion, the one thing that Apple has over MS is the human interface.

The iPhone was the first mass produced device with the touchscreen interface, and it sure seems to work well. Apple had multitouch before Windows (pinch to zoom).

I have a HTC HD2, which is a Windows Mobile 6.5 device, and when it worked, it was great. It has spent lots of time "not working". The OS/phone just locks up. MS and 3rd party providers like Adobe stop supporting/updating the device.

In comparison, my HTC Amaze, which is an Android system, is 10000x better than the WM 6.5 platform. I had a heck of a time just getting .vcf files ("contacts" files) to install properly in the phone on WM6.5 and the same process is seamless using Android.

I did not want to try the WP7 because of my experiences with WM6.5.

A good friend of mine grew up using a Mac- back when the personal computer was new. Later on, when Apple almost crashed and burned, a switch was made to the Windows PC world. This person owns both an iPod Touch (first) and an iPhone (replaced an AT&T HTC WM6.5 device), and according to him, either is the best thing since sliced bread.

Only recently has Apple decided to sell unlocked iPhones- probably to stem the tide of Android. No more worries about hardware hacks and jailbreaking. I may consider that next time.

The App Market is virtually nonexistent for Windows Mobile devices.

Apple may beat Android out right now, but that will change.

I do not like the integration between the Android system and Google, buy if you do not accept it, the system does not work. I doubt that Apple is any better as far as privacy is concerned.

The iPad may be nothing more than a glorified iPhone or iPod, but again, the touch interface works. It certainly works a whole lot better than my HP tablet PC running Vista- which won't run for more than a couple of hours on the battery.

Windows 8 is supposed to close the gap a little.

I do not own any Apple products, but Apple is forcing everyone else to catch up in the smartphone and entertainment PC/tablet market.

pgr
11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Steve Jobs was a very gifted man and demanding. "The harder you work the luckier you get" is very applicable to Mr Jobs.

I would like to take advantage to his creations when I buy my new sprinter sometime this next year. I'm not a media wizard and would like some advice from those of you that know the computer industry. What do I ask for when ordering the van? Do I just order it with a simple radio? What options do I have with a ipad or pc for docking and how complicated is the installation? All advice is welcomed!

In my case I replaced the crappy stock radio on my '04 with a new head unit that has a slide out 7" (I think) screen that I can connect my iPhone to and watch any movies, photos music or audio books on the screen. I also connected an external monitor in the back of the van from the head unit and can watch everything there if I wish. It also has a CD/DVD player, rear camera input, etc, etc and best of all was abut $350 including the special "i" cord for my iPhone. You can find them in all price ranges but my "cheapy" Jenson unit works fine for me and it fits into a single din opening to boot.

pgr

johnshmit
11-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I am a PC man, never understanding apple systems

So i am.

My screens are 10.1 and 15 ''.
I can read and control my CAN bus, have custom media player and navigation system,
can start my truck from my cellphone and more.

MS gave me power to do anything i can imagine, but without Jobs i would not have any motivation or directions for all that cool ways to waste my time and money.

RIP Steve Jobs

Roswell
11-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I am a PC man, never understanding apple systems, ... There must be

I was too. When it came time for a new laptop, I bought this huge fancy thing with a fingerprint scanner and all kinds of neat features. Within two days of owning it, it started randomly crashing and misbehaving. I decided that i wasn't about do dump that kind of money into yet another machine that just didn't work quite right. I took it back. Having freshly reviewed the store's return policy, I thought 'what the heck, I've got 30 days, lets give this Mac thing a try.' I never looked back. It took about 3 days to retrain my muscle memory of where things were, and that was it. In the end, the perfect device for you, is the one you like best. I like my macbook. My wife was hesitant, but she had the same 'tired of it crashing and acting up' experience with a new windows laptop, and I found her a used macbook. In about three days, she looked up at me and said. "Wow honey, you were right. I wish I had listened to you". That has happened once in my marriage. :idunno:

johnshmit
11-30-2011, 07:38 PM
'tired of it crashing and acting up' experience with a new windows laptop

:clapping::clapping::bow::bow::bow::bow::clapping:
:bow::bow::bow:
:bow::bow: .................. :professor:
:bow:

Roswell
11-30-2011, 08:51 PM
What makes me laugh, is that I can run windows within my mac, and it (for whatever reason probably hardware) is much more stable than on my desktop. I use it for something akin to the DAD for GM vehicles.

pgr
12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I am a PC man, never understanding apple systems, I see all these people with their $600 plus
Ipads, Ipods etc. I travel with a netbook that can do everything and more than an Ipad, it
is a computer not a toy for easy play, music? I installed a radio in my 2008 Sprinter that has
a 4" screen and plays all music and video formats, I can put thousands of songs in MP3 in an
SD card and play them while I drive, can someone explain why I need an Ipod? There must be

You make a very good point and the answer is very simple - you don't! But, for all the people in the world like yourself who can do all those things without help, there are millions of us who aren't computer geeks and who are only interested in what a computer, cell phone, etc can do for us, not what we can make it do for us.

Steve Job's brillience was in understanding and implementing this simple fact. I don't really care how my computer works only that it does what I want it to do when I want it to do it. To me it's well worth the extra cost to buy something that has been well designed and simply does its job without any help from me.

If you haven't read the bio I strongly suggest you do you may be quite surprised and it may answer your question as to what you "are missing".

pgr

flman
12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I never owned an Apple or joined the Apple cult for as a matter of fact. I always saw it as another monopolist company like Microsoft, just the under dog. I also never knew much about Steve Jobs until he died, now I know he was a very smart man that deserves recognition. I will still continue to work with Linus Torvalds, free and open OS on my PC.

RIP Steve Jobs, men with brains are becoming extinct.

Long Live Linus Torvalds!

Roswell
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I will still continue to work with Linus Torvalds, free and open OS on my PC.

Why does it always seem like its the PC guys who give up and learn Linux?

Charliektm400exc
12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Lets start this post by saying. I'm an Apple person. I have to use Windows at work, and hate it. In fact a few years back I was the IT person for our branch of the company and had to support Windows on all the machines. It was a nightmare.

If somebody asks me what computer to buy I tell them, if you don't know what your doing with computers and how they work, buy a Mac. If you like fiddling with them, then buy a PC.

Now to the point I want to make.

I have a theory, that nowadays when men can't go out and fiddle with the car and fix things, they are looking for something to fiddle with and they have found PC's. They can buy new boards to stick in them, they can load up Linux, they can put expansion cards in, they can tweak them by over clocking etc.

All of this is akin to what they would have done to their car, but can't any more, so the PC is the substitute to satisfy some underlying male thing. (Not all males)

This is a perfectly valid reason for owning a PC, but perhaps we just need to acknowledge that this is the reason, not that the PC is better, just better for that person because of that need.

So could I be right?

Roswell
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
So could I be right?

You could. But what causes the need to play with our toys? A psych professor once told me that after conception, the male contribution to propagating our genetic code is over, so we turn to science whilst the women do the nurturing. I'm not sure he was wrong, generally speaking.

Sent via Android using tapatalk

flman
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Android? Where is the Iphone you sell out?! :tongue:

Roswell
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Android? Where is the Iphone you sell out?! :tongue:

Still about a year behind my Evo I'm afraid, but my Airport Extreme has been to combat, is five years old, and still runs circles around current products. My AppleTV (Gen1) is pached with XMBC, has a CrystalHD card and running Linux so I can have true 1080p.

Honestly, if I hadn't been with Sprint for 15 years I probably would have ended up with an iPhone too.

Chandlerazman
12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Isn't Sprint selling the iPhone now? We Have T-mobile which is ok. Running the Windows 7 mobile. Actually, I like the HTC HD7 phone. We may end up going with iPhone down the road when the contract is up.

larry8061
12-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I am curious why leave Microsoft for Apple?

Larry

OrioN
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII & an iPhone 4 sitting here on the wall... side by each... 2 different carriers.

Hands-down winner: Android - Nicer/larger screen, more nimble touch control, pinch-zoom rules, battery last at least twice as long, FREE tethering, FREE apps, I have to reboot (or it does itself) the iPhone at least once a week, Android-never, multitasking performance and speed about 50% better on droid.

flman
12-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I had my fun with my Droid for 2 years, and replaced it 3 weeks ago with the Blackberry Bold 9930. It has touch screen, millions of apps, and I can pick it up one handed and use it like a normal phone with no navigating, through screens. if I have to type in a number at the prompt, I don,t have to take it from my ear, wait for it to illuminate, push the menu for a keypad, then finally enter the number. I am too busy to be waiting for my phone, it should be waiting for me.

I could have went with the Droid Pro with a full qwerty KB, but I need the PTT, and Blackberry is the only Smart phone Verizon offers with PTT. I am getting the Droid Pro for my wife BTW.

Roswell
12-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Isn't Sprint selling the iPhone now?

They are.

Chandlerazman
12-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I am curious why leave Microsoft for Apple?

Larry

If this is directed to me, then my answer is simply to stay with one platform. Microsoft was my only chosen option for years until Intel started chipping the Apple line. I simply want a change and one that reflects what I am willing to pay for. I feel Apple builds a nice product but not without its flaws like any other electronic item.
I still love my Windows phone. Does what i ask it to do and then some. The iPhone has a nice display. I am hoping that they will bring about a larger screen down the line.